01-07-10 11:52 AM
42 12
tools
    Zoom in and select show 3G coverage.

Also Verizon Wireless uses the CDMA technology when you see

1X and EV signal, 1X is for voice/texting/ and data on a separate channel...

I hope I didn't make this too complicated, I think I did haha I suck at explaining things but I try my best.

If I am wrong with anything I posted please correct me, I know a lot of other people are way more advanced then I am in technology like this right now.
    I read the first two lines and skipped all the flotsam and jetsam in between 'cause it had nothing to do with what I said as far as I could see skimming down to the last two sentences. WTF does CDMA or HSPA have to do AT&T's coverage map on their web site.
    12-28-09 02:09 AM
    I'm surprised that no one mentioned the map Verizon shows for At&t's 3G is legit. AT&T comes back with another map that shows more coverage but its not the 3G coverage. I believe it is their voice or EDGE coverage. So what Verizon says in their commercials are legit.
    12-28-09 02:47 PM
    what they say in the commercials is legit, however the argument is that the average joe doesn't understand the difference of 3G, EDGE, and voice. Which is true.

And yea, at&t's 3G coverage sucks...trying to listen to iheart radio now to no avail...fml
    12-28-09 03:07 PM
    I just find it amusing how on the AT&T "Post card" commercial they toss out the name of my town, Evansville, Indiana.

Just over Christmas I was sitting next to my younger brother who was tapping away on his iPhone 3G. He gloats over how much better his web browsing is than mine. I concede that my browser leaves a little to be desired. He says, "Hah, your browser sucks. I have SAFARI." So I challenged him to a web browser "loading race" to see just how much faster his browser was than mine, fully expecting his to beat mine since we are in EVANSVILLE, IN. An advertised 3G coverage city.

We start loading a graphics heavy page at the same time and he says...."Uh, oh. Never mind. I can't get 3G here."
    12-28-09 04:03 PM
    what they say in the commercials is legit, however the argument is that the average joe doesn't understand the difference of 3G, EDGE, and voice. Which is true.

And yea, at&t's 3G coverage sucks...trying to listen to iheart radio now to no avail...fml
    With this being the case then their adds for the past few years have all been towards their 3g network. They have a good amount of double talk in their adds, they state that VZW does not allow talk and internet use at the same time, while that is true, they state it on the big orange map that shows their EDGE technology. You can only talk and surf in their 3g network alone unless your using Wifi (which you can do on VZW) but they only place they say anything like that is in the fine print. It only states that some features may be 3g dependant.

ATT has used the 3g leverage for a good while, and for them to back pedal now and state that the average joe doesn't know what 3g is and how it effects their phone is beyond me.
    12-29-09 12:57 PM
    ATT has used the 3g leverage for a good while, and for them to back pedal now and state that the average joe doesn't know what 3g is and how it effects their phone is beyond me.
    Well, i'm telling you, a LOT of ppl don't know what 3g is or how it affects their phone/service. I'm not saying you have to believe it. I myself was surprised when i began working for AT&T that so many ppl were confused by it.

Just remember, a good percentage of users don't get so heavily involved in the terminology and such.
    12-29-09 03:53 PM
    Droid does
    12-29-09 06:00 PM
    At&t's 2G + 3g isnt even as good as Verizons 3G map! I get 3 to 5 bars of 3G with verizon here (Northeast Arkansas) and At&t has NO 3G here at all! nuff said! At&t can have their faster 3G because most people cant use it anyway.
    12-29-09 09:47 PM
    I have a question. Since this post came up referring those VZW v. ATT commercials I figured I'd ask.....One of the ATT commercial's points is that ATT has the ability for a phone user to "surf the internet" while talking on the phone and VZW does not. My question is, why in the world does anyone need to surf the web while talking on the phone? I can say I have never found myself in that position, nor can think of any scenarios in which this would be needed....any enlightenment would be entertaining...thx.
    12-29-09 11:05 PM
    I'll admit that I've wished for that a few times. Talking on the phone with someone and wanted to google something... But anything beyond that it just seems like you would be either intensely and easily bored or rather rude and self centered...
    12-29-09 11:34 PM
    I have a question. Since this post came up referring those VZW v. ATT commercials I figured I'd ask.....One of the ATT commercial's points is that ATT has the ability for a phone user to "surf the internet" while talking on the phone and VZW does not. My question is, why in the world does anyone need to surf the web while talking on the phone? I can say I have never found myself in that position, nor can think of any scenarios in which this would be needed....any enlightenment would be entertaining...thx.
    You can do this on the Storm 2 with wifi connectivity. I guess I could see talking on a BT headset and wanting to look up something real fast.
    Last edited by i7guy; 12-30-09 at 11:15 AM.
    12-30-09 11:07 AM
    CDMA ......bwahahahaha FAIL
    I am moderator on a forum completely unassociated with smart phones, internet service or anything else associated with what we do here.

Over there we have a troll that uses the same term. Hmmm..........?

Could it be Larry?

No, just a twin separated at birth maybe.
    12-31-09 07:21 PM
    There is one example in which the feature is very benificial. I teather my phone to my laptop frequently when away from home. Due to the ability of AT&T being able to do both at the same time, I am able to still recieve calls while still working or what ever the case may be on my laptop. My cousin who has VZW follows the same practice for teathering yet when he gets a call it puts his internet connection on pause until he completes the call.

Is this a comon practice, likely not. but there are instances where the ability is quite useful. This is just one example that I believe ilustrates the feature well.
    01-07-10 01:08 AM
    There is one example in which the feature is very benificial. I teather my phone to my laptop frequently when away from home. Due to the ability of AT&T being able to do both at the same time, I am able to still recieve calls while still working or what ever the case may be on my laptop. My cousin who has VZW follows the same practice for teathering yet when he gets a call it puts his internet connection on pause until he completes the call.

Is this a comon practice, likely not. but there are instances where the ability is quite useful. This is just one example that I believe ilustrates the feature well.
    Very good. I can see how if the phone is required as a modem this could be of value....anytime else could quite be pompous....like the commercial shows!
    01-07-10 07:29 AM
    The commercial showing the Verizon guy trying to talk on one phone and search the web on another and Luke assists him is a FAIL. When the guy is waiting for the web and Luke holds up a finger indicating "wait a minute" the guy is obviously on AT&T with a wait like that.
    01-07-10 10:12 AM
    Is my map in the way?
    01-07-10 11:16 AM
    Is my map in the way?
    I really liked that one. " Nah, you're good."
    01-07-10 11:52 AM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD