Does anyone have any idea when the AT&T buyout of the Unicel markets will happen in Southwest Minnesota? Over the weekend my market has transitioned to Verizon, however I am currently Alltel and am being told I can not switch to Verizon and keep my number, as the other Verizon assets (Unicel) haven't been sold off in this market yet, according to the rep I was talking to. This was a government sales rep, as we are looking at phones for our community owned hospital, so I'm not sure if that makes any difference.

Thanks, I know I will probably just get speculation, but something is better than nothing.
    10-20-09 01:49 PM
    i am pretty sure it will happen on 12/21/2012
    10-20-09 05:12 PM
    Disregard the above - he knows not what he is talking about.

Last I heard it would be mid-Q4. No recent updates leading me to believe otherwise.
    10-20-09 05:16 PM
    Disregard the above - he knows not what he is talking about.

Last I heard it would be mid-Q4. No recent updates leading me to believe otherwise.
    Thank you, I was debating where to post this question and posted it here specifically hoping you would have some input Twins.

Thanks
    10-20-09 09:46 PM
    Sure thing - will check to see if I have any other info on it. I do remember that certain counties were affected & some may transition a couple weeks before the rest.
    10-20-09 09:49 PM
    I thought AT&T was buying the ALLTEL overlaps. Is VZW slicing off bits of UNICEL/Rural also? I suppose it makes sense though, UNICEL was a GSM operator correct?
    10-20-09 11:11 PM
    I thought AT&T was buying the ALLTEL overlaps. Is VZW slicing off bits of UNICEL/Rural also? I suppose it makes sense though, UNICEL was a GSM operator correct?
    From what I understand AT&T is buying the markets that Verizon is divesting in this area, in my County (Yellow Medicine) that happens to be Unicel, and yes Unicel is GSM in all other areas of the country except for Minnesota which is CDMA, as Unicel here was originall Cellular 2000 which was a CDMA carrier.

On the verizon page here all the markets are listed that are being divested. I don't know if this is 100% accurate as I suppose there could have been changes to this I don't know.

Verizon Business News: Verizon Wireless Completes Purchase of Alltel; Creates Nation's Largest Wireless Carrier
    10-20-09 11:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD