tools
    Cause the FCC told them to
    Makes sense now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-11-09 09:47 PM
    So, for those of us in MT...

Bozeman Montana Local News

bits from the article:

Phone giant AT&T is expected to buy towers, spectrum licenses and 1.5 million subscribers from Verizon Wireless for $2.35 billion by the end of this year. The sale will run across 18 states. All of the customers and towers came to Verizon when it bought Alltel in January.

AT&T will refit the towers with its own technology n the GSM 3G network n which will make more devices work in Montana, said Tom Hopkins. That includes the Apple iPhone, which technically cannot operate in the area, though tech wizards have found ways to make the phone work here.

good- iphone and 3g will come to MT
    bad- iphone and 3g will come to MT...lol
    05-12-09 02:08 PM
    As an Alltel customer in a rural area, I have been informed by VZW to expect my account to transition within the next 30 to 60 days to the verizon network. My existing contract and pricing will be honored until it has run it's course. At that time I will need to purchase VZW phones and plans. If this sale goes on the record in the 4th quarter, chances are many Alltel users will be transitioned to VZW already and won't be forced to the newly established AT&T network when it's ready.
    05-12-09 02:52 PM
    As an Alltel customer in a rural area, I have been informed by VZW to expect my account to transition within the next 30 to 60 days to the verizon network. My existing contract and pricing will be honored until it has run it's course. At that time I will need to purchase VZW phones and plans. If this sale goes on the record in the 4th quarter, chances are many Alltel users will be transitioned to VZW already and won't be forced to the newly established AT&T network when it's ready.
    Exactly - if you've received a welcome to Verizon letter, you won't be part of the sale. Although my info says Alltel customers will not be forced to buy VZW plans & phones until they want to change their plan or their phone - existing plans & phones will be granfathered in.

05-12-09 03:33 PM
    Old stuff but interesting read

AT&T* today announced a definitive agreement to acquire wireless assets from Verizon Wireless for $2.35 billion in cash. Under terms of the agreement, AT&T will acquire wireless properties, including licenses, network assets and 1.5 million current subscribers in 79 service areas, primarily in rural areas across 18 states. Verizon Wireless is required to divest these properties as part of the regulatory approvals granted for its purchase of Alltel earlier this year. The states represented are: Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia and Wyoming.

As a result of the transaction and upon transition of the operations to AT&T, the subscribers in these service areas will be able to enjoy the benefits of AT&Ts 3G broadband network. AT&T has the nations fastest 3G network, now available in nearly 350 major metropolitan areas, with 20 more planned by the end of the year.

AT&Ts 3G broadband wireless network, combined with its industry-leading Wi-Fi network, make AT&T the leader in mobile broadband services, giving customers easy access to the people and applications they want to reach, across the country and around the world. AT&T provides Wi-Fi access at nearly 20,000 hotspots in the U.S., including Starbucks and Barnes & Noble locations, and at more than 80,000 retail, restaurant, hotel, airport and other locations globally. AT&Ts wireless subscribers with 3G LaptopConnect cards and qualified smartphone plans get unlimited Wi-Fi access at AT&Ts U.S. hotspots at no additional charge.

After operations transition to AT&T, the primarily rural subscribers added through this transaction will be able to experience mobile broadband on all the smartphones AT&T offers. AT&T leads the industry in smartphones including iPhone 3G and also allows subscribers to access AT&Ts 3G and Wi-Fi networks using the nations leading lineup of ultralight netbooks with embedded wireless capabilities for greater portability and convenience.

AT&T also offers the best wireless coverage worldwide, offering the most phones including the BlackBerry Bold that work in the most countries, with voice calling in more than 215 countries and data service in more than 170 including 3G data service in more than 80 countries. Because AT&T operates on GSM, the undisputed global technology standard for wireless services, its subscribers enjoy the convenience of using their handsets nearly anywhere in the world.

AT&T- News Room
    05-12-09 07:20 PM
    Twins are you going to have anything to do with the transition from Alltel cdma to Att gsm? What are the chances of ATT going straight to 3G, thinking particularly of the networks in WY, MT, South and North Dakota. Does the fact that just about all these networks were EVDO and most of that rev a make it any easier for ATT to go straight to 3G? If they don't how is that going to work to downgrade the customers in those areas from 3G speeds to edge speeds. Thats going to cause an uproar IMO. And how long is this all going to take? They are saying in under 12 months, looking at their 3G buildout progress that seems pretty fast for them.

Sorry for all the questions but this change over to gsm intrigues me and I have a lot of questions on how they are going to do it.
    (Do you need a helper? )
    Last edited by sprke81; 05-12-09 at 11:01 PM.
    05-12-09 10:57 PM
    Iam not worried iam in ny.
    05-13-09 07:25 AM
    Come on people - Verizon Wireless & AT&T collaborate on a lot of things behind the scenes and far more money than this is exchanged between the two each year.
    Conspiracy; I knew it. See thats why we will never get
    our blood letting price war between the two......................

Fugghers
    05-13-09 10:10 AM
    Conspiracy; I knew it. See thats why we will never get
    our blood letting price war between the two......................
    Maybe, maybe not - thus far, each pretty much matches the other that doesn't mean we won't see changes with LTE.

There are VZW towers that connect to the phone grid via AT&T lines & AT&T towers that connect through Verizon Communications lines. Sprint & T-Mobile towers connect to both, depending on area. All carriers are dependent on the local area infrastucture - often that is infrastructure owned by a competitor's business units.

It is a tangled web...

05-13-09 02:01 PM
    Maybe, maybe not - thus far, each pretty much matches the other that doesn't mean we won't see changes with LTE.

There are VZW towers that connect to the phone grid via AT&T lines & AT&T towers that connect through Verizon Communications lines. Sprint & T-Mobile towers connect to both, depending on area. All carriers are dependent on the local area infrastucture - often that is infrastructure owned by a competitor's business units.

It is a tangled web...

It makes sense.............
    In the world of land lines; everyone is all
    sectioned off. I did not know that but
    no it is not a suprise.
    Thanks Twin always droppin the knowledge
    05-13-09 03:23 PM
    Sweet, the iPho....oops, I mean ATT might actually work in Wyoming!
    05-16-09 05:27 PM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD