05-16-09 05:27 PM
61 123
tools
    Funny thing is, that there has been more banter about VZW buying US Cell then there has been buying Sprint
    I don't thnik that either of them make sense for VZW to buy. It is going to be very interesting to see what happens to US Cell with the loss of the revenue from so many roaming agreements with VZW.
    05-09-09 10:00 AM
    I wish Verizon would by us cellular. I have to travel through a section of them weekly and it never fails DROPPED CALLS!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-09-09 10:01 AM
    I would not look to US Cellular buying anybody, they are being pressured by their own share holders to sell the company...
    I am not able to post links yet but just google it or look at the artical on phone scoop

I would like to see Verizon gobble them up to... but I am a ex-USC employee now with the big red lol
    05-09-09 10:16 AM
    The WSJ article said Verizon would have to shed those customers, that does not sound like the customers will have a choice.

"Verizon Wireless, a joint venture of Verizon Communications Inc. and Vodafone Group PLC, purchased Alltel early this year in a $28.1 billion transaction. The assets it was required to shed include 2.1 million wireless subscribers in 22 states, as well as radio spectrum and other assets necessary to run the businesses in those markets."

Verizon to Sell Some Alltel Assets to AT&T - WSJ.com
    05-09-09 10:21 AM
    It does affect some existing subscribers you say it yourself in the 3rd sentence. These customers are in what is now called the Trust and it is unclear what is going to happen at this point.
    I know the press release gives the states (or portions of) that AT&T will get, but what area is in the Trust? Is there a map of where AT&T is going to end up with? I'm in a very rural area of Iowa, used to be on US Celluar (their customer service stinks), and I love my Verizon. It appears that some of us will be forced to go to AT&T. . .
    05-09-09 10:24 AM
    I don't want to have to trade my storm in for an iphone....

I'm in MT.

Last edited by jaskru; 05-09-09 at 10:54 AM.
    05-09-09 10:28 AM
    AT&T woul have to give thou a good deal on gsm phones.

We already left AT&T once. I would hate to have to leave them again.

05-09-09 11:37 AM
    I know there are maps of the areas. I know they are in internal VZW resources, but have not been able to find then from the main VZW site.
    05-09-09 12:07 PM
    I believe everyone who will be affected has already been notified. At least, those who will be staying with VZW already have been.

05-09-09 12:08 PM
    I believe everyone who will be affected has already been notified. At least, those who will be staying with VZW already have been.

So those that haven't might possibly be getting switched? I sure would like to see a coverage map of the purchase...

Thanks for chiming in, I respect your posts.
    05-09-09 12:34 PM
    Here is an interesting twist that I just found it appears that ATT has aquired Centennial Communications Corp. There appears to be some asset swaps between ATT and VZW.

AT&T and Verizon Wireless Agree to Sale and Further Asset Swap
    Yesterday, 2:19 PM by Eric M. Zeman updated Today, 11:21 AM

AT&T formally announced its intent to purchase certain former Alltel assets (as well as Verizon and Rural Cellular assets) from Verizon Wireless for the sum of $2.35 billion. As part of the deal, AT&T will acquire Verizon's licenses, network assets and 1.5 million subscribers in 79 regions, including rural areas of the following states: Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia and Wyoming. In addition to that purchase, AT&T is going to sell certain Centennial Communication assets to Verizon for $240 million. AT&T had announced its intent to buy Centennial in 2008, and that deal is still pending regulatory approval. The sale to Verizon includes 120,000 subscribers spread across Louisiana and Mississippi. This second transaction is meant to prevent overlap in some regions. AT&T said it will offer its new subscribers access to all its devices, 3G services and Wi-Fi hotspots. The former Alltel assets are all CDMA-based, however, and AT&T uses GSM technology. AT&T didn't provide details nor a time frame on how or when it would transition those 1.5 million CDMA customers to GSM-compatible equipment.

ATT purchases Centennial Communications Corp.
    05-09-09 12:37 PM
    I don't want to have to trade my storm in for an iphone....

I'm in MT.

There are no VZ customers in MT that are going to be forced to att. Only the alltel customers.

Nice to see a somebody from MT here where you from? I'm in the hardin area

05-09-09 01:15 PM
    I vaguely remember reading as well it had something to do with monoply issues. I read that a while back......
    it just goes back to the way back times when AT&T was the ONLY phone company out there and the federal govt made them split into diff companies..
    same sitch me thinks... but these are all overlapping vzw service areas.. this will just make more people happy by giving the competition some leeway...
    05-09-09 01:39 PM
    There are no VZ customers in MT that are going to be forced to att. Only the alltel customers.

Bozoville! Alltel will not be purchased in MT by Verizon due to the monopoly terms from what I have heard.

05-09-09 02:09 PM
    I would not look to US Cellular buying anybody, they are being pressured by their own share holders to sell the company...
    I am not able to post links yet but just google it or look at the artical on phone scoop

I would like to see Verizon gobble them up to... but I am a ex-USC employee now with the big red lol
    That doesn't make sense to me, TDS holds a 96% voting interest, and 81% equity in USCC. While USCC posted a loss of 4Q08, their net for 2008 was still in the black, complementing TDS's own positive balance sheet. Why TDS would give up a growth unit is beyond me.
    05-09-09 03:32 PM
    VZW eyeing Sprint hahahah
    Maybe I will sign up with Sprint get the 99.00 plan an wait for VZW to take over. They might have to honor it. A long way around to lower my bill
    05-09-09 04:29 PM
    Ugh. I'd have to throw the Berry in a lake and start using pay phones again before I would go to AT&T.

I manage our user's phones at my company and we went from AT&T, which sucked, to Cingular, which sucked, until AT&T bought them and combined they really sucked.

After 6 months of trying to get a sales rep assigned to our account we got fed up and went to Verizon, and have never looked back!
    05-09-09 04:44 PM
    That doesn't make sense to me, TDS holds a 96% voting interest, and 81% equity in USCC. While USCC posted a loss of 4Q08, their net for 2008 was still in the black, complementing TDS's own positive balance sheet. Why TDS would give up a growth unit is beyond me.

Gawain,

I dont think it makes sence either but read the articals for your self...

Shareholders Pushing for Sale of US Cellular to Larger Rival

Report: U.S. Cellular Under Pressure to Sell

U.S. Cellular Being Pressured by Investors to Sell : Related News (Phone Scoop)
    05-09-09 04:45 PM
    Thanks for the links. I think investors would be disappointed with the outcome of any buyout of TDS. Honestly, the time is ripe to reverse the tables I think.

Sprint is trading at $5/sh, a fifth of what it was at five years ago. USCC and TDS could leverage themselves over that, buy Sprint and revive the brand with USCC's customer service...

...TDS is trading at half of what it was at, but it's still trading higher than VZ. I think VZ has different priorities...

I'm probably wrong though. I don't know what the institutional investors would expect out of TDS in a sale.
    05-09-09 05:17 PM

There are absolutely vzw customers who will be included in the sale they have to be otherwise vzw would go against several anti trust laws. Unfortunately there are no maps or lists of those areas that have been released to consumers at this time. If you are worried that you are a trust customer the easiest way to find out is to go into your local store, if you are in the trust they won't be able to help you they will give you a 1800 number to call.

05-09-09 05:27 PM
    There are absolutely vzw customers who will be included in the sale they have to be otherwise vzw would go against several anti trust laws. Unfortunately there are no maps or lists of those areas that have been released to consumers at this time. If you are worried that you are a trust customer the easiest way to find out is to go into your local store, if you are in the trust they won't be able to help you they will give you a 1800 number to call.

Not in Montana tho. You are talking about the area that verizon had to divest their own network. That isn't happening in MT.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I think the red areas is Verizons customers included in the sale.

Last edited by sprke81; 05-09-09 at 05:37 PM.
    05-09-09 05:31 PM

LOL

Sorry I had to laugh at that. I called VZW customer service and went by my local store. They had not heard about this. What a surprise.
    The VZW rep gave me his email address and I sent him the link.
    05-09-09 07:54 PM
    LOL

Sorry I had to laugh at that. I called VZW customer service and went by my local store. They had not heard about this. What a surprise.
    The VZW rep gave me his email address and I sent him the link.
    Of course they'd not heard about it. Why should they? It involved Alltel properties that were never slated to to be converted to VZW, plus some VZW properties in areas where Alltel was stronger - and the properties, not the customers, are affected.

Everyone is acting as if this is some big surprise - it was known before the merger was finalized which properties would be going. The only thing relatively new is that it is AT&T picking up some of them.

Come on people - Verizon Wireless & AT&T collaborate on a lot of things behind the scenes and far more money than this is exchanged between the two each year.

No Verizon customers will be harmed in the making of this sale - only Alltel customers were involved - the ones who never received a letter telling them, WELCOME TO VERIZON WIRELESS!
    05-10-09 02:42 AM
    What's the point of ATT doing this?

05-11-09 08:17 PM
    Cause the FCC told them to
    05-11-09 08:24 PM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD