NOTE: Mostly rural areas are affected so don't panic before looking at the map of affected areas.

here is a link to the story:
    AT&T begins transition of acquired Verizon Wireless assets Boy Genius Report

Here are links to some AT&T Q&A's as well as a map of the areas affected.
    http://www.att.com/

Welcome to AT&T

So I have been reading about this today and the more I learn the less i am liking it, in fact I am quite displeased. For one, i have been a loyal customer for years and Verizon has the best coverage in my area. I have never had any problems with them to the contrary they have handled all my issues quite well. Secondly, the data and voice plans are going to switch over to theirs, AT&T caps are ridiculous and to top it off i own two phones a pre and a Blackberry, the reason i own a pre is primarily to use it as a wifi mobile hot spot, WHICH I GET FOR FREE. Under AT&T i would be capped at 2 GIGS AND have to pay extra.

I don't like the plans, I have heard so many negative things about the customer service, and their network is infamously lousy. What are your thoughts on this if you are being affected?
    07-23-10 11:34 AM
    I would be PIIIIISSSSSEDDDD if I was a VZW customer and saw an AT&T bill....
    07-23-10 11:41 AM
    I would be PIIIIISSSSSEDDDD if I was a VZW customer and saw an AT&T bill....
    I am not quite there yet i am hanging on to a sliver of hope I won't have to switch, but the more i learn the closer i get to being livid.
    07-23-10 11:52 AM
    "these Big Red customers will be the first to have an iPhone 4. Any Verizon Wireless customers a bit jealous?"

As a former Alltel customer with an Alltel plan and VZW as a carrier, I feel I have the best of both worlds. I'm sure there will be those who will crow about getting their hands on the new iToy...don't forget the duct tape.

Now that VZW has worked through most of the merger issues I'm a happier hiker.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-23-10 12:09 PM
    Since these are acquisitions related to an overlap of licenses, who are the other carriers in your market? These are the ALLTEL overlaps, so if you were already on VZW, aren't you staying on VZW?
    Last edited by Gawain; 07-23-10 at 12:21 PM.
    07-23-10 12:19 PM
    Since these are acquisitions related to an overlap of licenses, who are the other carriers in your market? These are the ALLTEL overlaps, so if you were already on VZW, aren't you staying on VZW?
    Good question that is what i have been trying to figure out, in the letter they are sending out to people it says this.

"AT&T recently completed an acquisition agreement with Verizon Wireless, which included select Verizon Wireless, Unicel and Alltel properties in your area."

My guess is it is different for all areas but they also included Verizon Wireless in the buy out so i wished i knew.
    07-23-10 12:55 PM
    Here's the deal... in Colorado, if you were an Alltel customer, you'll become an AT&T customer. If you've been a Verizon customer, nothing will change for you.

There are some areas where Verizon sold it's existing customers to AT&T - those areas are in Kansas, Nebraska, and Southern Minnesota (customers acquired when Verizon took over Unicel prior to taking over Alltel) - Verizon retained what was Alltel in those areas and sold off their other assets in those areas to comply with antitrust regulators in order to complete the Alltel take-over.

Cellular Maps.com-Alltel areas being sold to Verizon, ATN and AT&T may clear things up a little more.
    Last edited by kch50428; 07-23-10 at 02:12 PM.
    07-23-10 02:09 PM
    Here's the deal... in Colorado, if you were an Alltel customer, you'll become an AT&T customer. If you've been a Verizon customer, nothing will change for you.

There are some areas where Verizon sold it's existing customers to AT&T - those areas are in Kansas, Nebraska, and Southern Minnesota (customers acquired when Verizon took over Unicel prior to taking over Alltel) - Verizon retained what was Alltel in those areas and sold off their other assets in those areas to comply with antitrust regulators in order to complete the Alltel take-over.

Cellular Maps.com-Alltel areas being sold to Verizon, ATN and AT&T may clear things up a little more.
    OK this makes much more sense in other words they were not allowed to take over areas where Alltel was the only other competition around. They probably should have worded this properly in all of their releases, it makes it seem as though there will be a blanket transition to AT&T in the map that they posted. Though i will proceed with caution as that map is almost as confusing as the wording on the AT&T releases.
    07-23-10 02:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD