So I'd really like to get the storm for christmas, but I cannot afford to get out of Alltel. The ETF is $200 a line and I would be taking my gf with me

TOTAL : $400 --> ridiculous

I've heard of a way around the ETFs by having VZW pay for them and was wondering if this has worked for anyone.

An Alltel rep told me it was possible and has been done before

It makes sense since they're going to be the same company next year. VZW wouldn't really lose out by paying the ETFs since its almost like paying themselves.

I guess I just need to know where to start

Thanks for the success stories / input!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-02-08 11:20 PM
    VZW does not pay the ETF for a customer to get out of their contract for another carrier. To my knowledge, no carrier will do that.

It doesn't make good business sense to start out $400 in the hole for a new customer.

Also, it is business as usual until the the VZW buy out of Alltel is complete. So, until then, Alltel is still a competitor.

It's also possible that you might live in one of the markets that will be divested as part of the buyout deal.
    Last edited by JDnLou; 12-03-08 at 10:33 AM.
    12-03-08 10:29 AM
    I beg to differ, I just did an upgrade for an alltel customer today and my friends ahve also done it before. So I do not think you would have to cancel to do this. I can pull up alltel customers info in my computer system so I would go to a store and they will explain it. If you have trouble let me know because I have done it and can do it.
    12-04-08 06:02 PM
    No carrier is going to pay your ETF to bring your business to them. Be patient, youll be a Verizon customer soon anyway.
    12-04-08 10:19 PM
    I beg to differ, I just did an upgrade for an alltel customer today and my friends ahve also done it before. So I do not think you would have to cancel to do this. I can pull up alltel customers info in my computer system so I would go to a store and they will explain it. If you have trouble let me know because I have done it and can do it.
    I work in a store. We've been instructed to treat Alltel as the competition until the buy-out is complete. Doing anything else is in violation of anti-trust laws.
    12-04-08 10:22 PM
    When we get in to trouble I will let you know, but we did 2 back in October and have not seen any reprocussions yet. I dunno, if I am told differently I will stop, but until then I don't ssee a problem.
    12-05-08 08:26 AM
    So all I have to do to upgrade my 2 alltel lines that are still under contract is to go into a verizon store and asked for it to be done? And I won't have to pay any ETF?
    12-05-08 08:47 AM
    So all I have to do to upgrade my 2 alltel lines that are still under contract is to go into a verizon store and asked for it to be done? And I won't have to pay any ETF?
    I doubt it. The FCC hadn't even given it's OK for the buy-out back in October. I find it hard to believe that VZW would have access to Alltel customers before approval for the buy-out was given.
    12-06-08 10:37 PM
    I just switched from Alltel to VZW and I have to pay the ETF. I kept my Alltel phone numbers and that automatically terminates my service with Alltel and Alltel will bill me for the ETF.

VZW did not pay my ETF nor did they even offer to pay it.

Last edited by blackngray70; 12-07-08 at 05:53 AM.
    12-07-08 05:50 AM
    You are full of crap.
    12-07-08 01:17 PM
    You are full of crap.
    I'm going to have to agree on this!

Posted a claim that he had switched someone to vzw without paying an ETF and how he could help someone do it..............

I posted asking for information.............no reply
    I sent a private message asking for information...........no reply
    I sent an email through crackberry..............no reply

Seems odd that he was so willing to help out and yet when you call him out on it he hides...............

For Vzw's sake I hope he is a fraud because vzw is starting to look bad because of him!
    12-07-08 06:35 PM
    Ya he may work for an indirect it sounds like. But he certainly doesn't work for a corporate store.
    12-07-08 07:42 PM
    I have been PMing him too

Where are you?! I want VZW!

12-07-08 07:50 PM
    Only thing I can think of to help out with the ETF's are if you get a bigger discount on the equipment to get you to port-in to VZW. But I believe a company going out and just paying of a competitors ETF is an FCC or Anti-trust law violations and could get any carrier that practices this in very hot water.
    12-08-08 10:46 AM
    I was with sprint for 6 years before finally making the switch to VZW. I had approx 5 months left on my 2 year contract with sprint, the day that I walked into the Verizon store to inquire about signing up. And yes VZW DID take care of my etf with sprint. They simply split the etf charge in half, and credited my first 2 VZW bills with half of the etf each. It's amazing what a company can do when they want your business. I've been a loyal customer ever since, and more importantly, VZW has been a loyal COMPANY ever since.

So in a sense, VZW didn't actually pay off anything, they simply discounted thier own bill, to make it easier for me to pay sprint. And it worked like a charm.

Congrats to VZW for using a little imagination to attract a new customer.
    Last edited by gotham.art; 12-08-08 at 09:54 PM.
    12-08-08 09:49 PM
    I was with sprint for 6 years before finally making the switch to VZW. I had approx 5 months left on my 2 year contract with sprint, the day that I walked into the Verizon store to inquire about signing up. And yes VZW DID take care of my etf with sprint. They simply split the etf charge in half, and credited my first 2 VZW bills with half of the etf each. It's amazing what a company can do when they want your business. I've been a loyal customer ever since, and more importantly, VZW has been a loyal COMPANY ever since.

So in a sense, VZW didn't actually pay off anything, they simply discounted thier own bill, to make it easier for me to pay sprint. And it worked like a charm.

Congrats to VZW for using a little imagination to attract a new customer.
    No Manager in any store would get away with credits like that.
    12-09-08 09:47 PM
    It wasn't my intent to ask the rep for any special 'favors' as a prerequisite for me signing up. Nor did I feel any need to question the ethics of what they did. I merely wanted information. But I've come to find out one thing for certain. No one there's been fired or arrested. So I'd feel comfortable saying that they've got more options than we know.
    12-09-08 11:49 PM
    You must have been really nice or something because its hard to imagine any rep ever doing that. What did you say? I'd like some tips lol
    01-14-09 12:57 AM
    Typically we do not pay another carrier's termination fees. We didnt do it at Alltel either. Those of us who are managers have quite a bit of lattitude to satisfy a customer. That having been said, applying back to back credits of $100 to make it easier for a customer to switch would, in theory raise red flags in numerous departments.

We can give some very nice incentives on equipment pricing but that would typically be the limit. If someone is actually dumb enough to issue credits to compensate for another carrier's ETF they are probably also dumb enough to get caught which would more than likely lead to termination.
    Now that makes sense, knowing how telcos work.

Did you know that in many areas, it is an anti-trust issue to approach someone trying to sell a competing service? If I walk by a mobile provider booth with my phone in sight, all they can do is say hello or some other pleasantry. The thought process is that if you sell me something that breaks my current contract, you are in some way liable for the ETF fees.

Now if I approach them and say I am with VZW, what does AT&T offer, things get easier. They are still supposed to ask you if you are under contract and all that, then tailor their info with that in mind.

Left-wing lunacy to keep me sheltered from my own actions made this a reality. Still, I can see how this might protect say an elderly person. Some older folks still think their local POTS service is still AT&T - the old one, not the new.

I agree with the previous posters - while VZW is typically very easy to deal with, they won't give away the farm. Closest thing I can think of is to tell you the retail price of the device, then tell you what they can do with a 2yr contract. This could very well show a savings of $200-$300 which would appear to offset any ETF.

01-14-09 06:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD