AT&T has finally stepped on my last nerves and I requested my contract to be terminated, but unfortunately I have to pay the ETF, which is currently just 110 for me, thankfully.

I am switched to the Big Red [Verizon....] and I am deciding to get the Storm 2 on January 5th, and switching to the Blackberry Tour 2 if it comes out during my 30 day grace period.

I have a few friends on Verizon and the sad thing is they get bars where I usually dont, the mall, school, the boonies, the middle class areas. And Im just thinking, whats the point of "More Bars in More places" if there aren't bars in MY places. Im not traveling the world.

The reason I'm switching is because my calls would drop [even when I have full signal], my service would drop and I would have to do a battery pull, my internet service would stop and I would have to do a battery pull, calls and texts wouldn't go through. And after dealing with that for a year and some, I decided to cancel.

Cingular was a MUCH more respectable provider than AT&T. Cant wait to make the big switch.

But tell me what phone do you think is the best? [I only go for PDAs, since I need email and internet half the time]
    12-25-09 04:22 PM
    It's gonna be different strokes for different folks. THERE IS NO "BEST" regardless of what ANYBODY here says. What works for one person may not work for another and that's why we have choices. I like my Storm 2 very much and I also liked my Storm 1 that I purchased back on it's release day (had the S2 for about a month now).

I just finished reading the January issue of Consumer Reports and they did their big, annual phone/wireless service review. In most all cases, AT&T scored dead last and Verizon scored first. I know there have been studies showing AT&T slightly faster in the 3G department, but since the big switch now is to 4G, it probably doesn't matter. Besides, the differences were minimal. Call quality, dropped calls and customer service are where Verizon came out on top. Personally, of everything I have to deal with CS on, when it comes to Verizon, they are the best customer experience I've ever had. Are they perfect? **** no, not by a long shot, but they are still very good.

I get ticked off when the CS rep is telling me something I know to be false or wrong, so you have to keep yourself informed. I am also VERY ticked off at Verizon's pushing Bing as my one and only, default search engine (yes, yes, I know there are work arounds, but they ARE work arounds and that's just plain wrong to have to do that). Still, of all the options, Verizon is the best for me and for me and my own needs, the Storm 2 is my device of choice.
    12-25-09 04:32 PM
    I am happy with Verizon and switched for the Storm2 which is a super device, regardless of what anyone says. I had no complaints about ATTs service, but the coverage is better with VZW and certainly the data speeds are better. I think I called ATT customer service twice in 8 years - if that tells you anything. They were great for my Curve and other phones I had over the years, but they clearly need to step it up to compete with VZW network.

I am happy with the switch - I wanted the Storm2 because I didn't feel like the iPhone was the direction I wanted to go and yes, I could have gotten a great price on the 9700, but I was certainly attracted to the touchscreen devices. My impression of ATT is that if you are not an iphone user they really don't care about you.
    12-25-09 04:57 PM
    I moved to Verizon from T-Mobile and could not be happier with there service. I also really like the Storm 2.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-26-09 04:56 PM
    I have a few friends on Verizon and the sad thing is they get bars where I usually dont, the mall, school, the boonies, the middle class areas. And Im just thinking, whats the point of "More Bars in More places" if there aren't bars in MY places. Im not traveling the world.

Cingular was a MUCH more respectable provider than AT&T. Cant wait to make the big switch.

But tell me what phone do you think is the best? [I only go for PDAs, since I need email and internet half the time]
    Why is it sad that they get bars where you don't? That's the whole reason to pick a carrier -- go with the service with the best coverage for you! If that's why you switched, then you'll most likely be happy.

It's funny you say that about Cingular. Cingular bought AT&T Wireless, and then Cingular's parent company bought AT&T and changed all of their branding to AT&T. So, if anything, you're kind of still with Cingular. But, anyway ...

If you're talking best PDAs/smartphones on Verizon, it depends on what your needs are. If you want glitz and hip and cool, get the HTC Droid (or the Motorola, I personally think the HTC is a better product and a much better deal for the money). Having said that, the only smartphone that will give you decent battery life is a Blackberry -- and you get the push e-mail. I think you'll like the S2. Personally, though, if you haven't switched yet, I'd wait for the Tour2 with WiFi and trackpad. I think that will be hands down the best smartphone on Verizon ... unless you really like touch screens.
    12-26-09 06:33 PM
    i also switched from AT&T to VZW 5 years ago. Couldn't be more pleased. i was getting dropped calls with AT&T, and my billing was constantly being messed up. i had AT&T for 8 years (TDMA, then GSM) and i was happy with their service until Cingular bough them. Then my service degraded.

i have to mention that customer service with both AT&T and VZW is excellent. i've had no complaints in that area.

Very satisfied with my VZW 9630/4.7.1.61.

i suggest the Tour; but it's really just personal needs.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-26-09 07:05 PM
    I guess I shouldn't be surprised that a "mod" expresses favoritism
    12-26-09 07:51 PM
    Um...why shouldn't they? They're human, they have Blackberry phones, they use one service or another AND, they have opinions. What's wrong with them expressing an opinion favoring one item over another? This isn't "Consumer Reports" and even if it were, they have "top winners." I kind of thought the Mod's response was level and even and then went on to express their personal preference. I appreciate that.
    12-26-09 08:44 PM
    Im glad that troll got banned, *****.

Anyways... It really just depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for a device to have the most reliable email for work (BES) a blackberry might be for you. If you use it mostly for personal use and like things like music, taking pictures, fast web browsing and that type of stuff you may want to look into one of the droids.

I personally had a Curve 8330 for quite some time, i recently went to the HTC Eris(android os) and i wont switch back to a blackberry. The blackberry was cool and all but the media features on the droid are much better IMO.
    12-27-09 03:29 PM
    Choice between Storm and Tour primarily comes down to one thing... do you like touch screens? I have tried three touch screen devices (iPhone, Storm, and WinMo), and didn't like any of them, particularly in a moving car. For me, the Tour is the only way to go.

If you want wifi, the Tour 2 will have that, and is expected to be out soon. Rather than go through the trouble of getting a phone and worrying about the new model being available within 30 days, I suggest just keeping the AT&T phone until the Tour 2 is available. If the Tour 2 doesn't come out till 35 days later, you're going to be very unhappy if wifi is the goal.
    12-27-09 08:32 PM
    AT&T has finally stepped on my last nerves and I requested my contract to be terminated, but unfortunately I have to pay the ETF, which is currently just 110 for me, thankfully.

I am switched to the Big Red [Verizon....] and I am deciding to get the Storm 2 on January 5th, and switching to the Blackberry Tour 2 if it comes out during my 30 day grace period.

The reason I'm switching is because my calls would drop [even when I have full signal], my service would drop and I would have to do a battery pull, my internet service would stop and I would have to do a battery pull, calls and texts wouldn't go through. And after dealing with that for a year and some, I decided to cancel.

I switched to VZW about a year ago after 11yrs with AT&T (formerly BellSouth Mobility then Cingular) and could not be happier!! I agree with you that CS was much better in the Cingular days and it was a CS issue that pushed me to switch. Make the switch and dont ever look back at that stupid blue ball again!!
    12-28-09 06:58 AM
    Choice between Storm and Tour primarily comes down to one thing... do you like touch screens? I have tried three touch screen devices (iPhone, Storm, and WinMo), and didn't like any of them, particularly in a moving car. For me, the Tour is the only way to go.

If you want wifi, the Tour 2 will have that, and is expected to be out soon. Rather than go through the trouble of getting a phone and worrying about the new model being available within 30 days, I suggest just keeping the AT&T phone until the Tour 2 is available. If the Tour 2 doesn't come out till 35 days later, you're going to be very unhappy if wifi is the goal.
    Ive had the iphone and I loved the touch screen because it was very sensitive, and not laggy at all.... Until I completely demolished the phone because ATT and Apple didn't incorporate its full abilities.

The problem is using them in a moving car, so yea, it might be fustrating and I would expect the clickable screen on the storm 2 to help a little bit. I like the tour, but no wifi and the trackball is terrible. But Im going to play with both phones again before I switch.

But Im definitely switching the 4th or 5th, I know its cutting close to the Tour 2 release, but Im going to take that chance and hope it comes out in Jan, if not, then Ill get stuck with my phone. But at least it will be on Verizons network.

I switched to VZW about a year ago after 11yrs with AT&T (formerly BellSouth Mobility then Cingular) and could not be happier!! I agree with you that CS was much better in the Cingular days and it was a CS issue that pushed me to switch. Make the switch and dont ever look back at that stupid blue ball again!!
    Cingular did have much better care for their customers, but im switching due to my service problems. Signal/internet cutting off, dropped calls, no service in good places, etc.

I just hope Im as happy as you after switching.
    12-28-09 09:55 AM
    The best phone will be the one you like the best. It is just that simple.
    12-30-09 12:51 AM
    I switched from Sprint/Nextel with an 8350i to a Storm2 and I paid the ETF with no regrets.
    12-30-09 08:11 PM
    Had a Curve 8330 and now the storm. i love the touch screen to navigate the menus and the screen for lots of internet surfing. As a phone, the Storm is extremely average. - not great, not terrible

But as a phone and general all around device, the Curve was very nice.

My $.02
    12-30-09 10:21 PM
    Am I wrong for wanting a Storm 3 with a Droid style slider, albeit a true BB keyboard and trackpad on it)?
    12-30-09 10:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD