The wife and I are currently very unhappy with at&t and are looking to switch carriers. Our service sucks something huge. Dropped calls, poor reception, etc. They do have friendly customer service reps though. Problem is I know this because I always have one issue or another. I have heard that Verizon has excellent coverage but their customer service leaves a lot to be desired. Is this true? Those of you that have switched from att to Verizon, are you glad you did? Why or why not? Is it more expensive? My wife is interested in getting a Storm while I'm looking at the Tour. Is the storm a good phone? What's the difference between the Bold and the Tour? I'd like y'alls advice on this switch, good and bad. Thanks very much.
    11-09-09 07:30 AM
    The best thing to do is go to Cell Phones,Smartphones,Mobile Cell Phone Plans - Verizon Wireless
    It will give you the skinny on the plans/phones/smartphone comparisons ect.
    Then call 800-922-0204 and talk to a rep who can give you hands down excellent customer service. NOT because you are a potential customer but because they are one of the best. You hear a lot of P-ing and Moaning from some about how reps treat people; these complainers are generally the ones who have entitlement issues; not ALL the time, but generally thats where most bad customer service reviews for ANY company come from. Someone who didnt get their way and had enough sense to tell everyone and their mothers dog about it.
    GOOD LUCK!
    Welcome to Big Red.
    11-09-09 07:34 AM
    Thanks, but I'm more interested in what the customers have to say right now. I'll get the sales pitch later.
    11-09-09 07:41 AM
    I am giving you opinion as a customer... I've been a customer a lot longer than I've been a rep.
    11-09-09 07:57 AM
    I've been with every major carrier but T-Mobile

and I can say Verizon's the best at "taking care of you".

Of course, this is because they're soaking you for the most money the rest of the time.

But I've never had a major issue with the customer service
    11-09-09 08:26 AM
    I have only been with Verizon for a few days, but I have had to make a few phone calls to the VZW support crew and they were pretty good. I had to explain a few things to one support rep who didn't seem to understand the concept of Voice Mail vs. Visual Voice Mail...but we got through it...

All of the other calls were great...

I am also a VZ FiOS customer for internet and TV and have had no problems with customer service for over 18 months...

Good luck...
    11-09-09 08:30 AM
    I didn't switch, been VZW since the beginning..... Coverage is EXCELLENT..... there is only one place I have ever traveled to that didn't have coverage, and that was in maine at a fishing lake, and I was OK with not having service.

CSR's are second to none in my opinion....

I think that you will be happy with the switch
    11-09-09 08:45 AM
    The wife and I are currently very unhappy with at&t and are looking to switch carriers. Our service sucks something huge. Dropped calls, poor reception, etc. They do have friendly customer service reps though. Problem is I know this because I always have one issue or another. I have heard that Verizon has excellent coverage but their customer service leaves a lot to be desired. Is this true? Those of you that have switched from att to Verizon, are you glad you did? Why or why not? Is it more expensive? My wife is interested in getting a Storm while I'm looking at the Tour. Is the storm a good phone? What's the difference between the Bold and the Tour? I'd like y'alls advice on this switch, good and bad. Thanks very much.
    Dude, I had AT&T for almost 12yrs and I left them because of not just poor cust. service but downrite non-existant cust. service. Cell phone coverage was always pretty good in my area so I guess you and I have oppisite issues with them. Anyway I swiched to Verizon earlier this year and couldn'e be happier!! My bill is within $5-$6 of what it was with AT&T for an almost identical plan. The only thing I miss are those roll-over minutes...
    11-10-09 07:24 AM
    The rollover minutes are nice, but I'm more of a texter anyways, so we always had a plethora of minutes left over. Judging from what I'm reading and what I've heard from other Verizon users, we'll be switching. Shame the Droid is so expensive though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-10-09 07:34 AM
    In terms of plans, you'll find the VZW and AT&T have little to no difference in terms of cost.

The Storm is a nice phone in my opinion. The Storm2 seems improve on it significantly. The Tour seems nice too, but I have no experience with it.

VZW customer care has always been good to me. Though, I've not had very many occasions to call them.

They'll port you numbers and they have a "worry free guarantee"...so if you don't like it, you have 30 days or so to go back. Check with them though.

11-10-09 08:45 AM
    The Droid is actually at a very reasonable price.

11-10-09 06:27 PM
    The problem may be less carrier and more where you live. Placerville is not really a major metro area so getting good coverage from anyone may be sketchy especially depending on how far into the ElDorado you are.. Asking about CS and coverage her is a bad idea because unless you get lucky and someone who lives in your area is posting here you will get a range of opinions on their coverage because you have people from all over the country posting. As for Customer Sevice, again you will not get an objective answer because everyone deals with reps differently. Someone calling in with an attitude that "VZW WILL give me what I want" will get different service than someone calling in with the attitude of "let me see what they can do". Typically, people who have negative comments on CS had the prior. I RARELY have issues with CS in any situation because I came from 9 years of working retail and know how people treat many of these reps.

In the end, your best bet is to talk to a friend or neighbor who has VZW and ask about their coverage issues. As for CS, you will always get out of it, what you put in. Most reps don't go to work thinking, let's see who I can pissoff today. And if you are asking the unreasonable, don't expect a good experience.
    Last edited by barbwyr; 11-10-09 at 06:53 PM.
    11-10-09 06:50 PM
    "But I want that four door camaro and you're going to give it to me ya hear?!"
    11-10-09 06:55 PM
    The problem may be less carrier and more where you live. Placerville is not really a major metro area so getting good coverage from anyone may be sketchy especially depending on how far into the ElDorado you are.. Asking about CS and coverage her is a bad idea because unless you get lucky and someone who lives in your area is posting here you will get a range of opinions on their coverage because you have people from all over the country posting. As for Customer Sevice, again you will not get an objective answer because everyone deals with reps differently. Someone calling in with an attitude that "VZW WILL give me what I want" will get different service than someone calling in with the attitude of "let me see what they can do". Typically, people who have negative comments on CS had the prior. I RARELY have issues with CS in any situation because I came from 9 years of working retail and know how people treat many of these reps.

In the end, your best bet is to talk to a friend or neighbor who has VZW and ask about their coverage issues. As for CS, you will always get out of it, what you put in. Most reps don't go to work thinking, let's see who I can pissoff today. And if you are asking the unreasonable, don't expect a good experience.
    Long time Verizon Customer here. They have great coverage here in Sacramento area. I live here!Customer service on the other hand is v ery disappointing. I recently called to place an order over the phone and the rep made me feel like crap!I'm thinking of switching!

11-10-09 08:02 PM
    I currently have both. Hands down, VZW wins.

Long time Verizon Customer here. They have great coverage here in Sacramento area. I live here!Customer service on the other hand is v ery disappointing. I recently called to place an order over the phone and the rep made me feel like crap!I'm thinking of switching!
    Try Sprint. Coverage on par with VZW - if you're willing to switch over a single call, at least you won't be paying as much to have your sensitive feelings hurt.

11-10-09 08:36 PM
    I recently called to place an order over the phone and the rep made me feel like crap!I'm thinking of switching!
    I don't understand why anyone would bother ordering a phone through CS. Just avoid their attitude and the sales pressure and order it online.
    11-10-09 08:36 PM
    Placerville shows up 3G coverage with AT&T. I see you use a 8310 which isn't 3G. Have you tried a 3G device/ or a BOLD for sometime to see if 3G helps you coverage issues. I know texting on 3G is way faster then Edge. I used to own a motorola razer when 3G was here, and I saw after 3G got big, the service was degrading. I went and got a 3G Samsung Blackjack, it worked very well. Now I am on the Bold and I love it. In my opinion BOLD> TOUR just from peoples experiences I have seen, and AT&T is about to launch the BOLD 9700 which is supposed to be the fastest Blackberry out there yet, yes it has 3G. So I would at least try some 3G devices in your area to see if that works better, if not **** switch to Verizon they should be good for you if they have coverage. Also Storm2 > Storm for sure by a lot.
    Last edited by Chaldo; 11-10-09 at 09:41 PM.
    11-10-09 09:38 PM
    Why would a rep make a someone who is trying to order a new phone feel like crap?
    11-10-09 10:09 PM
    Why would a rep make a someone who is trying to order a new phone feel like crap?
    I guess they were having a bad day.I own a business and if I treated my customers bad I don't think I would stay in business long.

11-10-09 10:17 PM
    I don't understand why anyone would bother ordering a phone through CS. Just avoid their attitude and the sales pressure and order it online.
    Next time I will do that instead of ordering thru telesales. I called back today to check order status and the reps attitude was What do you want from us today?They need to leave attitude at home.

11-10-09 10:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD