Hey, just have a quick question....

I currently have a Blackberry Storm 2 that I purchased on launch day, but I'm getting tired of it. I really have no need for push email, and the OS is getting pretty stale and I'm tired of the small number of apps and the fact that you have to pay for most of them. Id actually rather have a "toyish" phone...

I plan to buy the HTC Incredible at full retail. My question is, once I deactivate my storm 2 and swap everything to the Incredible, am I free to sell the storm 2, even if its still under contract? I heard that you cant sell a phone that's still under a 2 year contract, but I didn't know how true that was. Seems to me like as long as there's some type of phone on the account and you pay your monthly bill, Verizon wouldn't care very much if you sold the original phone...

Any help is greatly appreciated....

*Okay now I have a new question!*

So apparently I signed my two year contract on 10/28 which was before they raised the ETF to $350....and I hear the ETF before that was $175 minus $5 for each month you had contract....That would put me at $175-$30 (6months x $5) which is $145 ETF which means if I cancel my contract and get a new one year agreement, it'll still be cheaper than full retail...

The way I see it is that I'd rather get a new one year contract (less locked in) and at the same time I'd get the incredible at $415 ($269 + $145) instead of $529+ tax...

This brings me to two questions....

If I go the ETF route, will I still be able to keep my current number?

Is there an activation fee if I do the activation myself by dialing *228 or doing it online?

Thanks!
    Last edited by KibblesNbitz; 04-25-10 at 10:08 PM.
    04-25-10 09:38 PM
    Yes you can sell the phone. The contract is basically for you to keep the line for at least 2 years. You can ditch the phone if you want.
    04-25-10 09:39 PM
    EDIT: Have a couple new questions above I'd appreciate any help I could get on....
    Last edited by KibblesNbitz; 04-25-10 at 10:09 PM.
    04-25-10 09:45 PM
    *Okay now I have a new question!*

So apparently I signed my two year contract on 10/28 which was before they raised the ETF to $350....and I hear the ETF before that was $175 minus $5 for each month you had contract....That would put me at $175-$30 (6months x $5) which is $145 ETF which means if I cancel my contract and get a new one year agreement, it'll still be cheaper than full retail...

The way I see it is that I'd rather get a new one year contract (less locked in) and at the same time I'd get the incredible at $415 ($269 + $145) instead of $529+ tax...

This brings me to two questions....

If I go the ETF route, will I still be able to keep my current number?

Is there an activation fee if I do the activation myself by dialing *228 or doing it online?

Thanks!
    If you cancel your line, since it has the lower ETF, you will not be able to keep your number. A new line of service will require an activation fee unless stated other wise. Some times they have it waived online. You will see the amount of the fee before you finish your order, so you'll know.
    04-25-10 10:30 PM
    If you cancel your line, since it has the lower ETF, you will not be able to keep your number. A new line of service will require an activation fee unless stated other wise. Some times they have it waived online. You will see the amount of the fee before you finish your order, so you'll know.

Thanks again supermario! You've been very helpful! I wont leave CB though, I love the community here

I think I'll go the ETF fee route and preorder it tomorrow. I figure its the most beneficial...

-I'll have to change my phone number, but that's fine since I don't have THAT many contacts and I can manipulate my new number to where its easily remembered...

-Phone ends up costing around $432 with taxes and ETF AND I'll be getting a one year contract instead of paying $602 for the phone after taxes and activation fee and being locked into my old 2 year contract....

-Since I'll be preordering on 4/26, Ill get instant online rebate(vs waiting for the mail in one) and the activation fee will be waved. And I might even get that limited time 2GB memory card offer (though I doubt it'll happen lol)

-With the new account in my name vs my dads I get to use my Employee discount for 20% off my bill
    04-25-10 11:31 PM
    No problem. I can't wait to get my Incredible either!
    04-26-10 01:13 AM
    Technically, he can reactivate his line within 90 days, but a 1yr agreement is required. He can keep his number that way plus get a new phone.

Also, since he wants to use his emp disc, he can have his dad do an aol autho then he can move to his own acct then. I recommend getting TEC or extended warranty because once the dvc is activated on a diff acct, the warranty is null/void.
    Last edited by babyface35762; 04-26-10 at 01:26 AM.
    04-26-10 01:23 AM
    Technically, he can reactivate his line within 90 days, but a 1yr agreement is required. He can keep his number that way plus get a new phone.

Also, since he wants to use his emp disc, he can have his dad do an aol autho then he can move to his own acct then. I recommend getting TEC or extended warranty because once the dvc is activated on a diff acct, the warranty is null/void.
    It is not guaranteed he would get the number back.
    04-26-10 01:28 AM
    Verizon may have changed the way they operate, but I have switched phones without paying an etf several times. As long as the line stays active, you should be fine.
    04-26-10 02:04 AM
    Verizon may have changed the way they operate, but I have switched phones without paying an etf several times. As long as the line stays active, you should be fine.
    Wow. Way to read the thread. The only reason an ETF was brought up is because he didn't want to just chnage phones, he wanted to add a new line and cancel his old one which is still under contract.
    04-26-10 10:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD