10-29-09 01:08 AM
36 12
tools
    For the first 30 days you can walk away scott free. It sounds like you have already made up your mind to switch. If not, you can get a phone, try it for the 30 days (new number) and if you decide that vzw is right for you, then you can port your number to that device. The only downside is that you will have two devices for that period of time. Its completely up to you. All I'm saying is why subject yourself to a two year agreement for something that isn't what you thought it was?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    He'll likely pay the act fee and also will pay the prorated bill for the time that he has the service. Not quite scot free. That's what a VZW rep told me.

10-28-09 03:41 PM
    Go with ATT to avoid bad customer and crappy handsets. Go Verizon if you have any reception problems with ATT.

Ah I love uninformed advice.
    10-28-09 03:42 PM
    Ah I love uninformed advice.
    Don't insult Mr. Sinatra.

10-28-09 03:56 PM
    Don't insult Mr. Sinatra.

Never masta! No insultin LOL
    10-28-09 03:57 PM
    Honestly the best way is to do what a few others have said here and take the 30 day test drive. Dont believe any commerical, I remember both Verizon and AT&T (back then Cingular) advertised claims about their networks and how awesome they were but when you read the fine print it was based on a survey in 2004 when the year was 2006! Thats all marketing. It all comes down to location, location, location! Where I live I'd have to be a fool to leave AT&T and switch to verizon...but thats just my area. Get a Verizon phone and try it where you'll be using it. If your happy, you can then port over your at&t number and on ya go, if not, cancel the service, pay for your month of service and chalk it up as a learning experience cause atleast now you'll know...
    10-28-09 03:58 PM
    has anyone gone from att to verizon, and if so what is your input on this?
    I have, and never looked back
    10-28-09 04:52 PM
    I love the way these threads appear - they are guaranteed to start flame wars & bring out all the trolls.

The reality - depending on your area, your usage & your expectations, either carrier will suit you or either carrier may frustrate you.

I have service on both carriers - so I am not someone who switched. For full disclosure, I also worked for AT&T for many years. I have never worked for VZW, but contract to do work for both carriers in my business.

I travel extensively for work & pleasure. Simultaneous data/voice is not an issue for me, as I have multiple devices on multiple carriers. I can always run data while on the phone. But even if that wasn't the case, I'd not trade reliable service & dramatically better overall average speed for that ability.

In my experience, in probably 70% of metro areas, both work adequately - but VZW is generally faster, with fewer dropped calls & reduced clipping. Get out on the fringes of town & the VZW advantage begins to widen. Rural areas, away from major highways & it is no contest. Much of Wyoming, Montana & Idaho are AT&T dead zones. Running up the Pacific coast, both carriers are good until you start hitting the Pacific Northwest. Northern California, Oregon & Washington, where VZW doesn't work, neither does AT&T. But AT&T was a long past memory by the time I lose VZW.

There are some areas where the reverse happens, but those are much fewer & farther between.

If you stay local, pick the carrier that works in your area & you're happy with.

You can listen to those who claim (now falsely) that VZW's smartphone lineup is boring - but if they have the one phone you like, who cares about the rest? And, with all of the recent releases & soon to be arriving ones, VZW arguably has or will quickly have the most varied lineup. All the manufacturers are looking to curry favor with the first LTE carrier & the one that will have the largest LTE network by far. In terms of licensed area & available bandwidth, even AT&T will be relegated to second-tier status.

Currently, VZW will have you connected in more places than any other carrier with a bigger voice & data network.

So whether or not you switch today, this month, this year or you wait awhile, there will probably be a time very soon that you will wish you were on VZW.

And, if we could improve Weekendbum's looks, it would be icing on the cake.

10-28-09 06:54 PM
    Honestly the best way is to do what a few others have said here and take the 30 day test drive. Dont believe any commerical, I remember both Verizon and AT&T (back then Cingular) advertised claims about their networks and how awesome they were but when you read the fine print it was based on a survey in 2004 when the year was 2006! Thats all marketing. It all comes down to location, location, location! Where I live I'd have to be a fool to leave AT&T and switch to verizon...but thats just my area. Get a Verizon phone and try it where you'll be using it. If your happy, you can then port over your at&t number and on ya go, if not, cancel the service, pay for your month of service and chalk it up as a learning experience cause atleast now you'll know...
    This is your answer. This method is why I am happy with my phone and my service. I gave Verizon a shot, they screwed the pooch in a big way. Maybe out in BFE the reception on Verizon is better and in that case I would sign-up but here in Wash DC ATT works better for me. Then there is the little matter of Verizon attempting (very poorly I might add) to steal money from me. Take 30 on each and find out for yourself, you will get to spend time with different phones too. You have to be patient and picky, if your not, then you will be one of those people posting about how bad your phone sucks or how bad (insert your carrier) sucks. You have to live with the phone every day for 2 years or more, its worth it.
    10-28-09 10:58 PM
    my big concern was international voice and data. With att I have a discount on calls from out of the US calling to the US and also my email and web are still free out of the US not sure verizon has this.
    There is an unlimited PDA data plan for use outside the US. This covers all data roaming. (Does not include text messages, as they are not internet.) It's not "free" on either carrier I assure you.

In my experience, in probably 70% of metro areas, both work adequately - but VZW is generally faster, with fewer dropped calls & reduced clipping. Get out on the fringes of town & the VZW advantage begins to widen. Rural areas, away from major highways & it is no contest. Much of Wyoming, Montana & Idaho are AT&T dead zones. Running up the Pacific coast, both carriers are good until you start hitting the Pacific Northwest. Northern California, Oregon & Washington, where VZW doesn't work, neither does AT&T. But AT&T was a long past memory by the time I lose VZW.
    Just adding to what Twins said here. I had a thread in here a couple weeks ago while road-tripping through the southern US, Disneyworld as the destination. Had *very* few areas where I lost signal. I'm talking minor blips. And where I got signal, I had internet on my laptop.

And, if we could improve Weekendbum's looks, it would be icing on the cake.
    You meanie!
    Last edited by Polychrome; 10-29-09 at 12:36 AM.
    10-29-09 12:27 AM
    You meanie!
    Heh - unlike the crap spewing from some people, I only pick on good folks that I like.

And, I've possibly seen him - typical guy (ugly - me included) - but probably couldn't pick him out of a lineup if I tried.

Although he would probably be the one with the gamer T-shirt on.
    10-29-09 01:03 AM
    Mirror breakers?

10-29-09 01:08 AM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD