10-29-09 01:08 AM
36 12
tools
    what are the pros and cons of switching from att to verizon. I travel a good amount through the US but at least twice a year out of the US how is the service? Any input would be great and yes the switch would be for the STORM2 from the bold.
    10-28-09 10:07 AM
    According to the Verizon commercial, Verizon's coverage is much better than AT&T...
    10-28-09 10:14 AM
    The pro is you get better 3G and overall coverage. The con is you pay more for that better 3G and overall coverage. LOL!
    10-28-09 10:15 AM
    lol very true but then again it is a commercial for verizon what would you expect.
    10-28-09 10:15 AM
    The key to that commercial is that Verizon says 3G coverage, not overall coverage. AT&T's overall coverage is much larger than that map that Verizon shows.
    10-28-09 10:27 AM
    I Agree you pay a lil more but coverage is amazing top of the line if your looking for coverage and stop those non-sense drop calls then verizon is where you should go. "I pay that lil extra money for superior coverage"
    10-28-09 10:31 AM
    lol very true but then again it is a commercial for verizon what would you expect.
    The information in those commercials isn't even provided by VZW. It's done by a 3rd party company (whose name escapes me at the moment) and they supply the data.
    10-28-09 10:33 AM
    If you don't have an iphone than why be on at&t???
    10-28-09 10:36 AM
    has anyone gone from att to verizon, and if so what is your input on this?
    10-28-09 10:36 AM
    CDMA doesn't have simultaneous voice and data.
    10-28-09 10:37 AM
    If you don't have an iphone than why be on at&t???
    for the international advantages they use to have over others but now not sure.
    10-28-09 10:38 AM
    Funny, I had major problems with dropped calls with Verizon, but perfect service with AT&T (iphone 3G) and BB 8900 (T-mo).
    10-28-09 11:11 AM
    To the OP, I think you came to the wrong forum to get objective unbiased pros and cons. Try posting this in another of the subforums. Most here will have you believe it is all roses at vzw.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-28-09 11:21 AM
    I recently read a cost comparison between the Tour and iphone. They were within a couple of dollars of one another.

10-28-09 11:30 AM
    The pro is you get better 3G and overall coverage. The con is you pay more for that better 3G and overall coverage. LOL!
    Monthly plans are the same at both companies.
    CDMA doesn't have simultaneous voice and data.
    Its possible on a Storm2, it has wi-fi.
    The key to that commercial is that Verizon says 3G coverage, not overall coverage. AT&T's overall coverage is much larger than that map that Verizon shows.
    Yes, but 3G data is essential for a smartphone.
    To the OP, I think you came to the wrong forum to get objective unbiased pros and cons. Try posting this in another of the subforums. Most here will have you believe it is all roses at vzw.
    The OP would be better off asking people in his area who have VZW.
    Last edited by bluerskyes; 10-28-09 at 12:22 PM.
    10-28-09 12:16 PM
    The bottom line is try the service for 30 days or a week and see if its any better than what you already have and make an INFORMED decision rather than someone elses suggestions.

10-28-09 12:36 PM
    easier said then done seeing I would want to switch my number over so would end up canceling my att contract.
    10-28-09 12:57 PM
    You can still "test" the network and then take care of the particulars after the fact. No need to switch and not be happy.

10-28-09 01:05 PM
    so your saying go get the phone new contract and all and if I like it after a period of time then do the switch of numbers?
    10-28-09 01:10 PM
    I came from AT&T, with the iPhone, to VZW. I live in the same city as before, I had horrble coverage indoors with AT&T and data was horrible. Now I have had VZW for almost 2 years and never had any issues with it any where. So I would say make the switch, try it for yourself.
    10-28-09 01:14 PM
    so your saying go get the phone new contract and all and if I like it after a period of time then do the switch of numbers?
    For the first 30 days you can walk away scott free. It sounds like you have already made up your mind to switch. If not, you can get a phone, try it for the 30 days (new number) and if you decide that vzw is right for you, then you can port your number to that device. The only downside is that you will have two devices for that period of time. Its completely up to you. All I'm saying is why subject yourself to a two year agreement for something that isn't what you thought it was?

10-28-09 01:21 PM
    Mother switched from AT&T to VZW. She had a GSM world phone with global services activated so it should have worked while she traveled domestically and abroad. She now has an 8830 with Global Services activated, putting the unlimited BB data plan on when she travels.

With AT&T:
    - Full bars at home, phone never rang and was unable to place calls.
    - Traveled to NH, VT, FL, and SC to repeat locations. Same scenario, full bars, phone never rang in NH or VT, sporadically in FL and SC. Better outside instead of inside.
    - Traveled it Italy, France, and the UK. She could place calls, but couldn't receive calls. If we called her while the phone was on, we would get a busy signal; if the phone was off, it would go to voicemail.

With VZW:
    - 2 bars at home, but phone works consistently.
    - Same locations in NH, VT, FL, & SC ... 3G coverage in all locations, phone works.
    - Traveled to France and the UK. Phone worked like it was at home, except the "ring tone" when calling her sounded different.

It's simple. If you want service that works, get VZW.

*** But I agree with what was said above. Activate the Storm2 under a new number. Set up call forwarding on your AT&T phone to your new VZW number. Do a Device Switch on the BIS site. Now you don't have to tell people a different number, and all your old E-mail settings will carry over to the Storm2. If you like the service, then port your number, and all is good. If you don't, turn off call forwarding, do a Device Switch back to your old phone, and cancel the VZW service. It'll be like nothing changed.
    Last edited by ericsmcdonald; 10-28-09 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Adding objectivity :)
    10-28-09 01:27 PM
    Go with ATT to avoid bad customer and crappy handsets. Go Verizon if you have any reception problems with ATT.

10-28-09 02:09 PM
    my big concern was international voice and data. With att I have a discount on calls from out of the US calling to the US and also my email and web are still free out of the US not sure verizon has this.
    10-28-09 02:30 PM
    i switched and I cant say I am truly happy but VZW cust service is Top Notch
    and the service is unparalleled but coverage is a lil shotty in areas of my state
    hope this helps
    10-28-09 02:45 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD