I currently own a 3G phone on Verizion, if I switch my device to a 4LTE device will it work ok, I do not want to change my plan as I am still on unlimited data.
    Thanks
    08-27-12 09:46 PM
    If you get a subsidized device, then you will have to give up your unlimited data.

If you pay full price or bring your own device, then you will be able to keep your unlimited data.
    mike in nc likes this.
    08-27-12 09:53 PM
    Mike in NC - I have been a BB fanatic for years, yet a month ago, I had try the Thunderbolt on the 4G network. I had acquired a TB on a CrackBerry trade.

I had to go to VZW, take the device I wanted to activate, they provisioned a SIM card, scanned the device and in 30 seconds, I was up on the 4G network.

It lasted a week and I went back to BB, the TB was traded to hondateg91 on here and I have a 4G sim card in the pile. the 4G was FAST 12-18 mbps

If you want to flip between 3G and 4G devices, you will need to call customer care and if you want to keep your unlimited data, you need to buy the device outright from VZW or find a trade here on CrackBerry or AndroidCentral.
    mike in nc likes this.
    08-30-12 10:29 AM
    Mike in NC - I have been a BB fanatic for years, yet a month ago, I had try the Thunderbolt on the 4G network. I had acquired a TB on a CrackBerry trade.

I had to go to VZW, take the device I wanted to activate, they provisioned a SIM card, scanned the device and in 30 seconds, I was up on the 4G network.

It lasted a week and I went back to BB, the TB was traded to hondateg91 on here and I have a 4G sim card in the pile. the 4G was FAST 12-18 mbps

If you want to flip between 3G and 4G devices, you will need to call customer care and if you want to keep your unlimited data, you need to buy the device outright from VZW or find a trade here on CrackBerry or AndroidCentral.
    Thanks for the information, although I still love my Tour, would like to try an android device.
    08-30-12 12:18 PM
    If you get a subsidized device, then you will have to give up your unlimited data.

If you pay full price or bring your own device, then you will be able to keep your unlimited data.
    No, 4G won't cost any extra. Also, I bought my Droid Razr (which I have sold) with the upgrade price and I still had the grandfathered unlimited data on LTE. Verizon still has it, but is doing away with it.
    09-09-12 09:47 PM
    Have you done this since the new data plans rolled out this summer?
    09-09-12 10:33 PM
    The key is how you obtain the device as the others are saying. IF you get the device on your own via a trade, 3rd party sale, or full retail, you can keep your unlimited plan. IF you use a Verizon upgrade and get a subsidized price then you must switch to the new plans.
    09-11-12 10:12 AM
    Well, I have a little update which I wanted to share on switching. I have a VZW sim for the 4g lte network. Used it on the thunderbolt but went back to my 9850. I recently acquired a Rezound from our sister sites, AndroidCentral. Took the 4G sim put it in tried to call and activate. Seems VZW permanently deactivates sim cards at midnight of the day you switch back to a 3G device.
    Lesson learned - if you are going to swap 3/4G devices alot, get friendly with a store rep, because you will need a new sim card every time you switch. I think that's crazy and a big waste, but I'd venture they have two backend systems running for billing and they have to deactivate the sim or you would have two devices with the same btn and lead to an inevitable system crash (okay here, that was a bad Matrix reference)
    09-17-12 07:09 PM
    Hmm.. I just went back to my IP4s from a Razr (flipping phones constantly until BB10) and I got a warning about the sim being deactivated in 30 days....
    09-22-12 03:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD