I agreed to a one year contract in September and am on a Family Share plan with three other lines.

Because of business reasons I need to separate one line onto its own account. In store I was told I would have to pay to cancel the line then open a new account. Not only would I be paying the ETF, I would also be losing my number.

Any ideas on how to separate the line without paying the ETF and losing my number, or am I better off putting an old phone on the current line and paying the 9.99 for the next nine months while also opening a new account? If I go that route I could buy the storm for $200 and then sell either that or my curve, which would cover the cost of the new phone and the $90 for the current line.
    11-15-08 12:45 PM
    I did something similar, I had to wait until I was in my 6 month upgrade period to get everything switched around. I would go with plan "B" or you could get another line and forward your calls to your phone, this way your won't loose your number.
    11-15-08 02:00 PM
    I'm not sure if things have changed but once upon a time (as of May of this year) you could just do a price plan change on a $9.99 plan and put it on it's own plan (minimum of $39.99). If you're changing it from one name to another name it was called an "Assumption of Liability."
    11-15-08 08:59 PM
    I agreed to a one year contract in September and am on a Family Share plan with three other lines.

Because of business reasons I need to separate one line onto its own account. In store I was told I would have to pay to cancel the line then open a new account. Not only would I be paying the ETF, I would also be losing my number.

Any ideas on how to separate the line without paying the ETF and losing my number, or am I better off putting an old phone on the current line and paying the 9.99 for the next nine months while also opening a new account? If I go that route I could buy the storm for $200 and then sell either that or my curve, which would cover the cost of the new phone and the $90 for the current line.
    The person in the store that gave you that info is either trying to get a new activation out of you or just doesn't know what they are talking about.

If the line needs to be moved into another persons name, then an assumption of liability needs to be done. They would assume the remainder of the contract and you wouldn't be charged any fees. Although, the person assuming would have a higher first bill due to proration and advance billing. Also, a line has t be active for at least 90 days before an AOL can be completed and the account has to be in good standing at the time of the AOL.

Now, if it's staying in the name, then you just need to transfer it to a subaccount. The account would be under then same account holder's name, but it would have a slightly different account number. The bill can be sent to the same address or a different address. The accounts would differ in only the very last number of the account number.

For example: The original account number might be 12345678-00001 and the new account would be 12345678-00002.

Or you can just change the line to a single line plan and leave it on the same account. You would only get one bill though. The bill would have both the single line plan and the familyshare plan on it, but it would be itemized for each line.

I believe the service fee for creating a new subaccount is $15 and there will also be the pro-rate and advance billing charges from changing the plan.

Don't let the people in the store tell you that you have to cancel the line and start a new one. We call it false churn and it's a big no-no.
    Last edited by JDnLou; 11-15-08 at 10:59 PM.
    11-15-08 10:55 PM
    I called customer service and they confirmed that assumption of liability is what needs to be done, but now I have another problem.

My parents just switched to Verizon, which opens up a chance for me to add a line to upgrade to the Storm. If I add the line I will put an old phone on my current line for the remaining 9 months of the contract. But doing this will cause me to lose my current number.

I have been trying to convince Verizon to let me do the AOL and approve an early upgrade so I can keep my number. They wont budge, even though over the two years I will be paying more using this approach.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to keep my current number while getting the storm at two year pricing?
    11-16-08 10:43 PM
    You should be able to put your old number on the Storm and the new number on the old phone.
    11-17-08 08:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD