I started a family plan with 2 lines in July '08. In September '08 I added a third line and transferred responsibility for the account to my wife so we could get a corporate discount due to her new job. I have noticed that my contract expiration dates for the first two lines are now September '09 (only 14 months after originally signing up), and the expiration date for the third line is September '10.

I'm considering porting one of the original lines to another carrier, as was originally thinking that I should try to swap the phone numbers around so that the number I port out results in terminating the line with the September '10 expiration date, thus allowing me to be completely out of contract in September '09. Then I realized that Verizon now has a prorated ETF, which decreases $5 for each month you've been under contract. It would seem that the ETF would be $60 less if I were to port out one of the original lines as is, since the expiration date is 12 months earlier. However, I'm concerned that doing so might draw attention to the incorrect expiration dates on the first two lines.

So, now that I've bored you to death with my story and thought process, I have two questions:
    • Is the swapping I referred to above even possible?
    • Is my concern about drawing attention to the expiration dates warranted?
    01-08-09 10:26 PM
    Hopefully this will help

1) Simple phone number changes can be made by calling VZW - this includes swaps between phones

2) When you change responsibilty on an account, VZW puts a 12 month contract on the new account. Your change was not a mistake. It is actually a trick used by some to shorten their contracts.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-09-09 11:41 AM
    i think what youre asking: "is it possible the change the contract end date from one line to another?". if that is what youre asking, the date stays with the number so you would have to call verizon and ask. i wouldnt be able to tell you either way. ive done it on a business account we manage but it has hundreds of lines and they let bigger accounts get away with more stuff than the smaller ones.
    01-09-09 02:32 PM
    When you change responsibilty on an account, VZW puts a 12 month contract on the new account. Your change was not a mistake. It is actually a trick used by some to shorten their contracts.
    Now THAT'S good to know!

i think what youre asking: "is it possible the change the contract end date from one line to another?". if that is what youre asking, the date stays with the number so you would have to call verizon and ask. i wouldnt be able to tell you either way. ive done it on a business account we manage but it has hundreds of lines and they let bigger accounts get away with more stuff than the smaller ones.
    Swapping contract end dates is a much clearer way of stating it, and yes, that is what I was referring to.

Unfortunately, a key element on the handset/carrier I was planning on porting to is no longer supported, which basically kills my plan.

Thanks for the info everyone.
    01-09-09 07:33 PM
    I started a family plan with 2 lines in July '08. In September '08 I added a third line and transferred responsibility for the account to my wife so we could get a corporate discount due to her new job. I have noticed that my contract expiration dates for the first two lines are now September '09 (only 14 months after originally signing up), and the expiration date for the third line is September '10.

I'm considering porting one of the original lines to another carrier, as was originally thinking that I should try to swap the phone numbers around so that the number I port out results in terminating the line with the September '10 expiration date, thus allowing me to be completely out of contract in September '09. Then I realized that Verizon now has a prorated ETF, which decreases $5 for each month you've been under contract. It would seem that the ETF would be $60 less if I were to port out one of the original lines as is, since the expiration date is 12 months earlier. However, I'm concerned that doing so might draw attention to the incorrect expiration dates on the first two lines.

So, now that I've bored you to death with my story and thought process, I have two questions:
    • Is the swapping I referred to above even possible?
    • Is my concern about drawing attention to the expiration dates warranted?
    If you port you number before the contract is up you will get charged an early termination fee
    01-10-09 02:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD