I upgraded to 4.5.0.77 on my VZW 8330 last weekend and just reloaded all my old apps including the Surreal theme which worked fine on the 4.3. However, when I activated it on the 4.5 last night it gave me an 'app error' and only option on the screen was to reset...and reset...and reset...Anyway Verizon is so kindly sending me a new device because the old one is toast! Just wanted it out there so it doesn't happen to anyone else.
    12-07-08 10:44 AM
    This is a known issue with that theme and OS4.5. Also, the phone is not toast, wipe it with your PC or simply manually delete the theme file off of it with your PC. Both require the use of javaloader to force the connection. Look in the FAQ/HELP forum for how to recover a bricked BB. That will give you an easy thing to follow and do if you don't know what I'm talking about.
    12-07-08 11:29 AM
    I agree with JRSC, the device is not toast and can easily be recovered...
    12-07-08 11:34 AM
    x2 ... I did the same thing. Had to use javaloader and reload the OS. A PITA but it works.
    12-07-08 11:41 AM
    x2 ... I did the same thing. Had to use javaloader and reload the OS. A PITA but it works.
    Thanks for the input Azeis, this will help others who had the same problem...
    12-07-08 11:44 AM
    yes its hard to actually "brick" a bb. Quite few people get scared when it wont boot up and just assume its toast..
    12-07-08 07:51 PM
    In order to save $ I canceled my internet and only had tethering. I'm sending this from hubbys berry which doesn't have it! Thanks for your responses. It will be a pain to set up another device but ill have an other curve in my hands after work tomorrow.
    12-08-08 08:43 AM
    I just read the post you referred to about the 'nuked blackberry' and I think I can do it! I'll try it tonight. Maybe I can trade the new one in for a Storm. LOL. thanks.
    12-08-08 02:07 PM
    It worked! You guys rock! Thanks.
    12-08-08 08:25 PM
    I did the same thing! It definitely was a pain to fix, but I did it. It's too bad, I really liked that theme.
    12-09-08 11:03 AM
    I upgraded to 4.5.0.77 on my VZW 8330 last weekend and just reloaded all my old apps including the Surreal theme which worked fine on the 4.3. However, when I activated it on the 4.5 last night it gave me an 'app error' and only option on the screen was to reset...and reset...and reset...Anyway Verizon is so kindly sending me a new device because the old one is toast! Just wanted it out there so it doesn't happen to anyone else.
    I was able to get this fixed very fast by:
    1) downloading javaloader.exe to the desktop
    2) bring up a cmd window and cd into the Desktop folder
    3) during the reboot of the blackberry I ran the command below which allow me to see the surreal theme
    "JavaLoader.exe -usb dir"
    4) I then deleted the theme with this command
    "JavaLoader.exe -usb erase "net_rim_theme_surreal_320x240_b"

As soon as the file was deleted the next time my crackberry rebooted it reverted to the sprint theme. Nice.

Hope this helps.

Derrik
    02-26-09 09:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD