Such a load of BS from Verizon about limiting text messages to 160 characters, just got a text from Verizon promoting their Backup Assistant software that is more like an essay.

It's fine if they want to spam text messages to us that is a whole book, but as normal people we are limited to 160 characters.

I say a revolution.

03-14-11 12:13 PM
    Sms are limited to 160. What you received is an EMS which you can also send.

Might be good to understand what you're protesting first. Unless you want to be THAT guy.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-14-11 01:39 PM
    SMS meaning Short Message Service was designed to be 160 characters back in the days of analog GSM.

I guess that it just hung over that way for compatability reasons.

There are several ways around this.

- send multiple SMS
    - use MMS
    - send an email (free on a data plan)
    - do what Verizon suggests
    03-14-11 01:43 PM
    Might even want to call the person - such a novel concept.
    03-14-11 08:20 PM
    Might even want to call the person - such a novel concept.
    What is this "calling" that you speak of?
    03-15-11 12:31 AM
    It's actually the BB OS that is messed up I think. I know the leak for the Bold that was 6.0.66x I think split it up to 7 messages and on the official OS 6 it sends a MMS.
    03-15-11 04:45 AM
    Many other devices automatically break a longer message into multiple SMS. I think for whatever reason, RIM has chosen to limit SMS to a single 160 char message.
    03-15-11 05:13 AM
    Many other devices automatically break a longer message into multiple SMS. I think for whatever reason, RIM has chosen to limit SMS to a single 160 char message.
    You are right is saying that some phones are capable of automatically splitting long SMSs into multiple messages. However the 160 (7 bit character) limit remains as a maximum for all SMS messages.

It just the way it works. The 160 character limit is enforced by the GSM and CDMA design. There is just no way around that part of the problem.

Just why RIM does not split long SMS messages for transmission is quite beyond me. They know the limit and they can presumably count to 160 (duh). It should be simple to display a warning that the tome you are currently typing is about to spill over to a 2nd or 3rd message.

I have owned some really dumb phones that did this about 5 years ago.
    03-15-11 05:43 AM

I have owned some really dumb phones that did this about 5 years ago.
    Really dumb phones huh?

03-15-11 11:00 AM
    My iPhone does it.

Anyways, I agree with a call or an email.

03-15-11 07:42 PM
    verizon isn't limiting your texts to 160. Charlie Sheen is.
    03-15-11 07:44 PM
    You can actually send longer the. 160 Verizon to verizon SMS if your phone allows it. My droid X did it, and my iPhone does too. I have it set to not split the message, and it'll send the whole thing. But if I do it to another network it just cuts off anything over 160

03-15-11 09:17 PM
    At the network level, SMS is 160 bytes. Period. It is carried in a field in the control messages, defined by the GSM and CDMA protocols. For longer messages, either the phone breaks it up into multiple messages, or it sets up a data connection (much more effort) and sends it via MMS. If it breaks it up into multiple messages, sometimes it can be arranged for the receiving phone to glue them back together and present it to the user as one, longer, message.
    Last edited by CharlesH; 03-20-11 at 10:55 PM.
    03-20-11 10:52 PM
    It is a VZW issue with BlackBerry. I have AT&T, and long SMS are always split into multiple SMS. That has been the case with my 9000 running OS 4.6 or 5.0, and with my 9700 running OS 5.0 or OS 6.0.
    03-21-11 12:30 AM
    I am running a hybrid (King 2.1) and it splits up my texts into up to seven messages.
    03-21-11 04:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD