hello all,

I'll be studying abroad in the UK from approximately January 2010 to May/June 2010. My VZW contract ends in November 2010. I have the pink VZW curve 8330, but am very interested in the new Tour.

1. Since my curve won't be able to work in the UK, I'm thinking about paying to upgrade to the Tour so I can keep an active US mobile number while abroad (mostly so that family can contact me easily). I understand this will be quite pricey, so I'm curious...

2. Since my contract ends in October (five months after I get back from the UK), will I have to get a NEW blackberry with my new contract, or will I be able to keep the fairly new Tour and just get a new contract on that same phone?

3. What is your valued opinion in regard to international fees? I do have a prepaid UK mobile phone (Vodafone), but I want to be able to be easily contacted via phone by my family and people from work/school if need be. I also would be interested in keeping my email access, but other than e-mail, data probably wouldn't be used very often (IMing, browsing, etc.)

4. I'm also considering just paying the termination fee and leaving VZW all together, and possibly switching to AT&T if necessary. I do plan on moving to the UK in 2011, so getting a blackberry that could eventually be switched to a UK blackberry plan would be nice...

Thanks for any help!
    07-28-09 10:05 AM
    Why don't you let your contract expire and then pick up service with Orange or Voda?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-28-09 11:51 AM
    If you don't get the Global plan, all calls both in and out will cost you $1.29 (I believe) per minute. On the Global they will be $0.99 and while not cheap, cheaper. Data (email) under the plan is unlimited.
    07-28-09 06:37 PM
    I think you would be cheaper to get a world phone and use a local Sim...... Buy the family an international calling card

07-28-09 07:18 PM
    Smart thing to do!!!!!!! Setup up Skype and just top up with Skype credit when calling abroad!! I made a 10minute call to america today and it only cost me 20pence!!! LOVED IT!

*EDIT* Skype is an online telephone service also known as VoIP (Voice over IP)
    Website link: Skype €“ Make free calls and great value calls on the internet

*EDIT*EDIT* ALSO forgot to mention IF you both have Skype set up on your computers you dont have to buy any credit!! You can call Skype to Skype FOR FREEE
    Last edited by geeneeus; 07-28-09 at 07:30 PM.
    07-28-09 07:27 PM
    Smart thing to do!!!!!!! Setup up Skype and just top up with Skype credit when calling abroad!! I made a 10minute call to america today and it only cost me 20pence!!! LOVED IT! [/url]
    Skype or nearly any VoIP for the family. And as Dogs mentioned, forget the US cells - get Vodaphone or Orange. Let the family know your new number & keep a plane ticket in case you need medical care.

07-28-09 07:30 PM
    I do have a skype account, but I hate using it.

I do have a prepaid Sony Ericsson with Vodafone, but the thought of being six months with no blackberry is PAINFUL for me. It is very cheap with Vodafone to make calls back to the US though...so I woudn't mind sticking with that.

Ugh, I suppose I have a lot of thinking to do. The Global plan is looking pretty decent at the moment. Perhaps I'll get the Tour and switch to the Global plan before leaving.

Does anyone know, though, if I got the Tour while still on my current contract, if I'd be able to keep the same phone for a new contract once my current one expires (October 2010)? I don't want to shell out the money for a new phone if I'll have to get another new one with my next contract anyway...

Thanks for the suggestions!
    07-29-09 10:12 AM
    You don't have to upgrade when you resign your contract

07-29-09 11:24 AM
    I do have a prepaid Sony Ericsson with Vodafone, but the thought of being six months with no blackberry is PAINFUL for me. It is very cheap with Vodafone to make calls back to the US though...so I woudn't mind sticking with that.
    The Tour is a world phone. Can't you get a Vodaphone SIM that has blackberry service on it and put that in the Tour and use both the berry and the Vodaphone number?
    07-30-09 08:06 AM
    Can't you get a Vodaphone SIM that has blackberry service on it and put that in the Tour and use both the berry and the Vodaphone number?
    I've been wondering the same thing...would it work? I assume I'd have to have the VZW Tour unlocked before leaving? No? And what if someone called my Verizon number while my Vodafone card was in it? Also, I'd need to continue my contract/payments to VZW while in the UK, right? So I'd be paying for two services?

Sorry if the answers to these questions seem obvious...I'm highly lost when it comes to international phone usage. Hence why I currently have two phones...
    07-31-09 03:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD