Hello all,

I was given a Blackberry Storm 2 recently that is clean.
    My current phone; a LG ENV3 was dropped and run over and has been flaky for the last two months.
    I want to activate the Storm 2 in place of my ENV3?
    I currently am not on a data plan and do not plan to sign up for any data plan since I only use the phone for calls and nothing else.

I called VZW cust svcs and was told that I am REQUIRED to have a data plan in order to use the Storm 2.
    Is this true?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    01-14-11 09:05 AM
    This is true. It is Verizon's policy (and other carriers) any time a Smart phone is activated, there a data plan is automatically required.

Verizon has told me this policy was incorporated because of customers using the service (Internet) and accumulating enormous bills then claiming then plead ignorance when it comes time to pay the bill.

Verizon also tells me that they do not have the technology/ability to block out those subscribers that do not have a data plan from accessing those services. That IMHO is a crock.
    01-14-11 09:13 AM
    True. You cannot activate the device without a data plan. You can get the $15/150MB plan for your S2.

Verizon also tells me that they do not have the technology/ability to block out those subscribers that do not have a data plan from accessing those services. That IMHO is a crock.
    That's a crock too, I'm sure. They're able to block mobile web on dumbphones, so there's no reason why they couldn't on smartphones. However, in order to offer the smartphones like Curve3G for $29.99 they have to recover that subsidy via data plan profits.
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 01-14-11 at 09:24 AM.
    01-14-11 09:21 AM
    Yes you have to have a data plan. $15 for 150 MBs or $30 for Unlimited. Third option is sell or trade the Storm for another regular phone and not have to pay for the plan at all if you don't want to.
    01-14-11 10:39 AM
    I would go for the 15 dollar plan. It's handy to have the data for use when you want to use IM, web, and email. Also with the Storm2 you can use wifi to minimize your data plan usage. You WILL use the data trust me.
    01-14-11 11:05 AM
    ALL BB require a data plan. You cannot use most features if you don’t have data.
    All carriers have this requirement, you can sneak in under the radar with GSM. As soon as they find out it is a BB they will add data.
    01-14-11 03:15 PM
    Thanks for all your replies... Much appreciated.
    01-17-11 10:45 PM
    Que the comments of running a race car without gas...etc.

I would just sign up for the lower data plan.
    01-18-11 12:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD