Does anyone here know if Verizon is locking the NA GSM bands? Also, if they are locked, will Vorizon provide the unlock codes? I am asking because my buddy is interested in buying a Storm on Friday, but he is leaving to Europe to study abroad and he doesn't want to get stuck paying roaming for ~3-4 months.

Thanks for the help fellas.
    11-16-08 11:30 AM
    I have heard a rumor it will be unlocked for BB maps. Guess we will wait till mext weekend to get the real answer.
    11-16-08 03:06 PM
    I have heard a rumor it will be unlocked for BB maps. Guess we will wait till mext weekend to get the real answer.
    So if GPS is unlocked (I saw it was confirmed by CX and others), what does that mean exactly for phone use? Would the NA GSM bands also theoretically come factory unlocked? Would he be able to throw in a sim card from a European carrier and simply pay them their plan for 3-4 months and not get reemed by roaming?
    11-16-08 03:52 PM
    Does anyone here know if Verizon is locking the NA GSM bands? Also, if they are locked, will Vorizon provide the unlock codes? I am asking because my buddy is interested in buying a Storm on Friday, but he is leaving to Europe to study abroad and he doesn't want to get stuck paying roaming for ~3-4 months.

Thanks for the help fellas.
    The OP asked about GSM (radio frequency) not GPS.
    11-16-08 04:03 PM
    Good point. my bad. Then the price plans/international feaures should work fine. I saw some info on this and will get more info tomorrow.
    11-16-08 04:34 PM
    Ok, I'm not really sure how the whole locked unlocked GSM phone / sim works but I know that the SIM can be unlocked on other VZW global phones. The a795, a840 and the BB 8830 can be unlocked. The i830 can not be unlocked. No info about the Storm yet. Contact the VZW global phone support team for more info.

Don't know if that answers your question, but that's what I was able to find out.

I just looked it up a few minutes ago when I was on break.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-16-08 06:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD