SO, will be probably heading to haiti in the next couple of days and was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this. I hear they do still have a good amount of cell phone towers and i know nothing about the company's down there. So will i be able to get a global plan with verizon to get service in Haiti? Even if it isnt full out 3G and cost a **** load of money i dont care, i need my phone! thanks all.
    Steve
    01-13-10 08:07 PM
    If they do have service down there (which is a toss up) they should be able to set you up with an international data and calling plan.

Call VZW and ask to speak to global services, they should be able to set you up. I went through them and used my phone in Australia without a glitch and, other than voice, data was pretty cheap (like an additional $1.17/day).

Here is the site for coverage/costs down in Haiti for VZW global. I would call Global Services, they can confirm, and they even let me set a start and end date with no further action required.

Haiti International Data Coverage - VZW

Haiti International Phone Coverage

All of this is contingent on whether the cell towers down there work, of course.
    Good luck and stay safe.
    Last edited by spyderman09; 01-13-10 at 09:56 PM.
    01-13-10 09:48 PM
    I heard on tv that only one cell phone companie is still working..
    01-13-10 09:53 PM
    I heard on tv that only one cell phone companie is still working..
    From my understanding they have 2 cell phone companies working now.
    01-14-10 02:53 AM
    01-14-10 09:45 AM
    Heard they had no power tho.............
    01-14-10 09:54 AM
    Digicel is the BlackBerry provider in Haiti, got message this morning that they were still up and running in many parts of Haiti, and BB Messenger working. Should let others know.
    01-14-10 01:29 PM
    moving to verizon forum
    01-14-10 04:55 PM
    I'd be surprised if there is any Towers up and running yet down there.... its a mess there right now
    01-16-10 01:32 PM
    There was alert for Haiti released today. It is a good one.

Basically said that the local netwrok down there is 100 up and running, but do to the traffic on it, call may not get through.
    01-18-10 07:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD