01-04-10 02:27 PM
77 1234
tools
    how can you mess up charging a phone? Phone battery goes low i charge it. usually needs charged everynight. i wake up check my phone. it burns so i drop it. and i still dont see how the phone can be a 116* just after a 4-5 minute phone call. i havent done anything wrong. im running the verizon supplied software, Ive only purchased apps available through the blackberry app center. Just tired of waking up grabbing my phone and getting burned.

Glad to see you think im a tool super mario. I didnt lie about anything in my post. i didnt leave out any information. that i havent already shared with the board. Im not trying to get my way out of this. i just want a device that works properly. I do have better things to do than keep trying replacement phones until i get a working phone. I paid $XXX for a product i expect it to work just like anyone else. Ive never had any problem with previous phones, or any other electronic products. Just the storm.
    12-31-09 02:14 PM
    how can you mess up charging a phone? Phone battery goes low i charge it. usually needs charged everynight. i wake up check my phone. it burns so i drop it. and i still dont see how the phone can be a 116* just after a 4-5 minute phone call. i havent done anything wrong. im running the verizon supplied software, Ive only purchased apps available through the blackberry app center. Just tired of waking up grabbing my phone and getting burned.

Glad to see you think im a tool super mario. I didnt lie about anything in my post. i didnt leave out any information. that i havent already shared with the board. Im not trying to get my way out of this. i just want a device that works properly. I do have better things to do than keep trying replacement phones until i get a working phone. I paid $XXX for a product i expect it to work just like anyone else. Ive never had any problem with previous phones, or any other electronic products. Just the storm.
    But RedNeck, you have only had one device. One. You are not entitled to a new device. You are receiving the exact same device you paid your hard earned money for. You expect it to work, so do I. You expect a new device anytime there is an issue, no sir. The tool comment was for the fact you told the CSR "I expected more from VZW Customer Service" when in actuality she was offering you a replacement phone, which is EXACTLY what she should have done. You just expected your way. I don't expect you to have a phone that burns you. Not at all. But to try to turn this around so you can get a new device is not how you upgrade. Like I said before, get the replacement, if it happens again and they have replaced the battery, the charger and the phone, you have a better argument. Sorry for the tool comment, just stop expecting something you're not entitled, that leads to disappointment. Try the phone. Keep us posted.
    12-31-09 02:38 PM
    I'd get the replacement, the rep clearly said if it happens again with the replacement Storm, that they will then consider giving you a new model BlackBerry device. Otherwise known as a multi fru. Doing this will also extend your contract another 20 months. Therefore also extending your upgrade date. VZW will NOT give you a multi fru if you haven't replaced your device 3 times within 90 days.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-31-09 02:42 PM
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I've never seen a UL (or equivalent) approved cell phone. So I wouldn't doubt that the OP is telling the truth about the phone heating up. That said, they offered you a replacement of the same device, which is a fair offer.

You didn't say why your 1st Storm was replaced, or did you and I missed reading that. Regardless, of the reason, you've gotten 2 replacements and were fairly offered a 3rd. It is unlikely that you'd have the same overheating issue with the newest replaceemnt, but I suppose it is possible.

VZW isn't going to change their offer so you might as well just get the replacement Storm. Should Storm #3 give you issues that are mechanical, then I would think you'd be offered a different device.
    12-31-09 02:44 PM
    I'd get the replacement, the rep clearly said if it happens again with the replacement Storm, that they will then consider giving you a new model BlackBerry device. Otherwise known as a multi fru. Doing this will also extend your contract another 20 months. Therefore also extending your upgrade date. VZW will NOT give you a multi fru if you haven't replaced your device 3 times within 90 days.

Actually a bit misinformed. It doesn't extend your contract date, it only extends the upgrade date, so say he's eligable to upgrade on 04/09/2011... The extend of the contract to 20 months will be from say he called today to get it done.. It'll be extended from TODAYS date out 20 months..... so from today 12/31/09 20 months out .. will be 10/31/2011.
    Last edited by Zukin; 12-31-09 at 03:56 PM.
    12-31-09 03:52 PM
    It will be 8/31/2011. That's 20 months.

12-31-09 03:56 PM
    I just want to clarify. So you're telling me you've replaced the phone, batteries and chargers and they all do the same thing? Overheat to 156 degrees?
    12-31-09 04:07 PM
    haha.. Got to love the call sequencing!

Dude just take the replacement - you could have had it by now and if another problem occurred with the phone, then you would have probably already gotten a multi-fru.

The Storm is not known for overheating. So it is deemed a coincidence that this happened again if it happened the first time.
    12-31-09 04:13 PM
    Yeah I noticed the CSM as well.
    12-31-09 04:17 PM
    I just want to clarify. So you're telling me you've replaced the phone, batteries and chargers and they all do the same thing? Overheat to 156 degrees?
    On the First storm i never did a temperature reading but it got very warm.. the phone would randomly shutoff like it went into protection mode then boot back up. I went to the store and the store issued me a new battery.

the 2nd phone ive only had for 2 weeks. and since day one it was getting hot. i went to verizon they gave me a new battery again. i called in the tech line since the phone was still getting hot after a brand new battery. they told me to go to a local store. and after suggestions i asked for a new charger yesterday.

Ive used the new charger in 4 different rooms. i also used it at my shop (or garage) and it was the same thing there. thats when i got the infared thermometer out to see the actual temperature.

So thats 2 Phones, 3 batteries, 2 chargers.
    12-31-09 06:24 PM
    Actually a bit misinformed. It doesn't extend your contract date, it only extends the upgrade date, so say he's eligable to upgrade on 04/09/2011... The extend of the contract to 20 months will be from say he called today to get it done.. It'll be extended from TODAYS date out 20 months..... so from today 12/31/09 20 months out .. will be 10/31/2011.
    I stand corrected.

12-31-09 07:21 PM
    On the First storm i never did a temperature reading but it got very warm.. the phone would randomly shutoff like it went into protection mode then boot back up. I went to the store and the store issued me a new battery.

the 2nd phone ive only had for 2 weeks. and since day one it was getting hot. i went to verizon they gave me a new battery again. i called in the tech line since the phone was still getting hot after a brand new battery. they told me to go to a local store. and after suggestions i asked for a new charger yesterday.

Ive used the new charger in 4 different rooms. i also used it at my shop (or garage) and it was the same thing there. thats when i got the infared thermometer out to see the actual temperature.

So thats 2 Phones, 3 batteries, 2 chargers.
    You have to realize that when a phone charges, or is in use for extended periods of time, it is going to get warm. It's called electricity.

I just really have a hard time believing you're not just trying to get an eris. It's not a downgrade because price is $99 now. The price of the storm 1 is $49.99 right now.
    12-31-09 10:13 PM
    i dont care if its its a eris or another phone. all i want is not to wake up in the morning to check my messages and not to burn my hand. the Eris or Omnia 2 or what ever its called is the only comparible phone that i can think of. i dont like slide out keyboards i like on screen keyboards. something light that i can carrry around daily without getting hot.
    01-01-10 01:19 AM
    I recommend that you find out who the district manager for your area is, they will proivide you that info, just get his number and call him, he can can help you better than anyone in the store.

If that doesnt work, sick the BBB and the FCC on them.
    01-01-10 03:04 AM
    I recommend that you find out who the district manager for your area is, they will proivide you that info, just get his number and call him, he can can help you better than anyone in the store.

Why? Just because he doesn't like the warranty process? Don't get me wrong, he shouldn't have to deal with the phone but his whole issue is he wants a new phone that he is not entitled to.
    01-01-10 09:37 AM

This isn't going to solve his issue, the district manager's have the same guidelines as the store's and as the call center's. It's not like Verizon is denying him a phone simply because they feel like it. There are steps put in place to have this issue resolved, and the step he is currently on is getting a replacement storm. He has admitted that he refused that step, so simply because he doesn't want to follow the steps doesn't mean that by going to a district manager anything will change. After all he has spoke to a supervisor in a call center and received the same answer he got in the store. As you can tell Verizon is following the process that the executives in New Jersey deemed fair.
    01-01-10 10:29 AM
    So if memory serves me, the OP has had two storms and two batterieswith same issue, over heating. Has anyone looked into the charger being bad?
    01-01-10 10:34 AM
    He's had two chargers as well supposedly.
    01-01-10 12:10 PM
    Oh, my apologies, I should have read all the additional posts

Yeah, now I'm thinking there is something wrong with his wiring in his house.

Anyway, yeah, he needs to take that replacement, and well, if there is something wrong, he can send it back, I think after like 6 times, they will give him a different phone.

01-01-10 12:37 PM
    2 Storms 3 Batteries and 2 Chargers. is what i have. and I have accepted to take the 3rd storm since i seem to be getting know where with getting a different phone.
    01-01-10 12:40 PM
    The policy is supposed to be after the 3rd replacement phone THEN they offer you a comparable phone as a replacement. Not sure about that. Just re stating what i had read in this thread. Ive never had Verizon offer me a different phone as a replacement. I got 5 blackberry tours when it first came out cause i had several problems with them. Like trackball, screen issues etc.... But i was never offered a different comparable replacement phone for it.
    01-01-10 12:43 PM
    Ive never had any of the Known Problems with the storm. it was a good phone except for the battery life and Overheating issue. but i think the overheating or shorting out in the phone caused the battery life to suffer
    01-01-10 01:02 PM
    That would make sense -- a battery that gets that hot would surely have diminished capacity.
    01-01-10 01:07 PM
    Just get the damn relpacement and zip it already! Sheeessh
    01-01-10 08:04 PM
    This reminds me of an issue I had back as a customer, years ago.

Treo 600. I found this out the hard way, do not have the phone plugged into car charger and make calls using a BT hands-free kit at same time. Between the BT chip, charging the battery and running the radio, I literally "cooked" five of them, Verizon offered me a 650 as a replacement after I asked how having the phone plugged into the car charger and using a hands-free kit could be considered user misuse? After all, I said to the rep, they don't last anywhere near a year, so I'll just keep getting warranty replacements.
    01-01-10 10:46 PM
77 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD