01-04-10 02:27 PM
77 123 ...
tools
    Im on my second BB storm. The last one i had turned in cause it was getting warm and the battery life is completely shot 3 hours max out of it.

Now im 2 weeks into my second phone. It holds a charge but when i woke up this morning the phone was hot. so hot that i dropped the phone.

I immediately pulled the battery and what do i see? some of the plastic casing of the battery had melted and got residue on the battery cover. So i got dressed went down to verizon. Told them that i no longer wish to have this phone. that the first phone was warm but not this warm. and now this one where it was hot enough to feel a burning sensation. and possibly have the battery leaking.

I asked for a different phone and that i no longer wanted to deal with the storm i would even downgrade the phone to something else and they are telling me i got to pay full retail. Basically there saying its not there fault for the phone. and its not my fault that the phone wants to burn me.

The Lady told me that i could PURCHASE a new battery for a phone that is barely 2 weeks old.

What can i do? there has to be some point where you dont feel safe with a phone. and definately do not want to carry it around not knowing what it will do next

IM running the verizon update 5.0 software. only apps installed were checkbook, facebook, youtube, and a couple games. all were purchased through the BB app store.

Here is a link to the Video
    Last edited by Redneckricer; 12-31-09 at 12:43 PM.
    12-27-09 06:35 PM
    1-888-233-4813....let me know what happens.....i read in here before not to go to a "retail" store for "tech" issues
    12-27-09 07:37 PM
    Called them.. they told me that there is nothing they can do but buy a new phone a full retail..

Lovely customer support. i searched around and other people have reported the phone getting too hot for comfort. How can a company just look away when a customer does not feel safe or comfortable carrying around there product?
    12-27-09 07:56 PM
    well i guess call back...this time the camera dont work, the microphone keeps muting itself or it just doesnt work....tell em you did 3 security wipes this week and even the local store wiped it as well to no avail....
    12-27-09 08:16 PM
    I dont want another Storm.. im done with it.
    12-27-09 08:20 PM
    The problem you describe isn't synonymous with Storms. In fact I don't think I've ever come across it before. For it to happen to you, twice, with two separate phones, in varying levels of severity, strongly suggests its not the phone, but the outlet or charger. Most likely, VZW is as skeptical as I am, hence the resistance t give you another phone.

When you got Storm #2 did they give you a new charger?
    What outlet are you using to charge the phone? Does the problem persist when you move to another outlet?
    12-28-09 07:11 AM
    No they did not send me a new charger with the 2nd storm. i have used 2 different outlets and it still does it.

I googled storm getting hot and i came across other people who were having the same issue as me.
    12-28-09 07:46 AM
    No they did not send me a new charger with the 2nd storm. i have used 2 different outlets and it still does it.

I googled storm getting hot and i came across other people who were having the same issue as me.
    I just did that same search and found most results were about the Storm being "hot" seller or "hot" looking. I saw very few people with same problem, most were reporting more of the phone being warm during usage (expected) and very few about hot during charging. Nothing that I would say indicates a wide spread and common issue.

Here's what I would do. First, be sure to due the *228 (option 2) and let your phone reprogram to be sure it has the latest info. And then check to see if your network is set to 1EVX (it will default to Global if you have new OS installed). Both of these will ensure that your phone isn't trying to "work" too hard at finding a signal.

If that doesn't solve it, get a new charger (it's the common component between the two bad devices). Maybe it's fault trigger to prevent overcharging isn't working.

Lastly, if the battery wasn't replaced between phones get a new one and see if that resolves the problem, perhaps it too has a fault.
    12-28-09 08:03 AM
    Just called the verizon rep and asked for a new charger. again they keep telling me they would be glad to send me one at my own expense. i love how there warranty coverage seems to only hold up on the phone only.

So now im on phone 2. 3rd battery ( after the 2nd one started melting. and now they want me to buy a charger for a phone i dont even wish to use any more
    12-28-09 08:58 AM
    Unfortunately, for me at least, there seems to be something missing in the issue you're trying to convey. VZW sends new phones out to people at the drop of a hat. Original Storm owners have been upgraded to the Storm2 with very little pleading by the customers themselves.

You must have some sort of problem that you're not making us aware of for VZW to continually refuse to bend. Account issues, payment issues, multiple device issues all contribute to their reluctance to bargain with a customer.
    12-28-09 09:36 AM
    this is my first phone with verizon. account is up to date. no late payments. and only 2 claims that ive had were 1 the phone a couple weeks ago. and 2 the battery that needed to be replaced. only been with verizon since september
    12-28-09 09:57 AM
    I would call again, and I would be polite but firm, in insisting that they send a warranty replacement battery and charger. Polite is key, and if the first rep disagrees, politely ask to speak with a supervisor.
    12-28-09 10:05 AM
    This does not sound like the same Verizon Customer Support I've been dealing with for the past 10 years.

Sorry to hear you are having such problems but everytime I've has a phone or accessory fail, Verizon has always been right there to give me a replacement without question. To this day I still say Verizon has the best Customer Support out there.
    12-28-09 10:06 AM
    so i went to the store today. tech said everything seemed fine with my phone. i got a new charger. i bring the phone home and put it in my outlet. charged up the phone within 45 mins of charging the phone was hot again. i pulled out my laser thermometer and took the temperature of the casing it read 178*F

I removed it off the charger. let it cool down for 20 mins and i did a battery pull.

I called verizon. told them what had happened. I told them i did not feel safe with this phone and that i no longer wish to have this phone or any replacement storm. The verizon person said he was sorry all he could offer was a replacement phone otherwise he could sell me a new phone at full retail price. I refused to do that. i asked to speak with a supervisor.

The supervisor got on the line and then said that he was sorry that he could not help me. since i am not available for any kind of upgrade that all they could do was send me a replacement storm and hope this one will not have any issues.

I even told them i would downgrade.. I paid $200 for the phone. and i would take a Eris which is $99. and i would take the loss on the difference. I didnt ask for a discount on my bill i didnt ask for free stuff i just asked for a phone that i would not have to worry about having a extreme failure on me.
    12-28-09 11:06 PM
    Did you accept their offer to send the replacement? Even though it sounds like you're ready to give up on the Storm, perhaps the replacement will prove to be better.

If you decide to take it, I would say go to the store, set up the phone, but stay there and monitor the phone while it's charging. I'm sure that customer service is noting on your account that this has been happening to you, so I think it'll be good to have both yourself and a tech person monitor it to see if the phone grows hot. This way, if it does become very hot they'll be able to work with you more in terms of downgrading if you choose to. I don't know if this will work, but it's worth a try.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-29-09 10:38 AM
    Have you been using the same outlet at home? Could it be there is an issue with your wiring, for example perhaps your outlet has reversed polarity, OR a surge issue? A surge issue could effect all your outlets.
    12-29-09 02:31 PM
    If you want to downgrade to a different smartphone, I just found my old Kyocera QCP-6035 I will let you have for the cost of shipping. J/K

All kidding asside.

Have you tried to charge your phone at work or some place different and see if it happens? PK could be right about a power problem with your house. If thats the case you have a larger problem than your blackberry.
    12-29-09 03:05 PM
    usually they dont replace you to another phone until you replaced your phone 3 times... keep replacing the phone then try and bargain
    12-29-09 03:43 PM
    Unfortunately Verizon does not warranty your phone, the manufacturer does. Verizon has very strict guidelines they have to follow as replacement protocol especially with blackberry. Trying calling tech support and asking for a replacement battery. This should come no cost if you are still under the one year manufacturer's warranty. It has been my experience working with phones that when they get hot, 9 out of 10 times its your battery and/or charger.
    12-29-09 06:15 PM
    Sounds to me like its the battery *shrug*

12-29-09 06:52 PM
    well i guess call back...this time the camera dont work, the microphone keeps muting itself or it just doesnt work....tell em you did 3 security wipes this week and even the local store wiped it as well to no avail....
    Yeah, lie and make things up that will work.

They should have swapped your battery and or your charger under the warranty. Are you sure you are going to corporate locations? I find it hard to believe that you are being treated that way (if you are being 100% honest about the situation) at a corporate location.
    12-29-09 07:09 PM
    Is this serious? Your phone makes you feel unsafe? Lol.

12-30-09 04:50 PM
    Is this serious? Your phone makes you feel unsafe? Lol.

The fact that the phone reaches 178*F while charging and a Verizon representative laughs at the owners safety concerns says a lot.

OP - take the replacement Storm. That's what you're entitled to. Maybe the next one will work better for you.
    12-30-09 05:30 PM
    The fact that the phone reaches 178*F while charging and a Verizon representative laughs at the owners safety concerns says a lot.
    Care to elaborate what you mean versus "says a lot?"

12-30-09 05:36 PM
    Care to elaborate what you mean versus "says a lot?"

Certainly.

The first priority in customer service or customer care, is to provide service and care to the customer. I'm fairly sure you do well in your line of work, so I think you will agree with this statement. For the record, I'm retired but I do know a thing or two about customer service on a large scale. I'm sure there are differences when dealing with low budget equipment (cellular phones) vs. high budget equipment (industrial robotics and automation) but I still think the basics are the basics.

This gentleman has a legitimate safety concern. 178*F will cause damage to the human body. The fact that he doesn't see the logic of getting a replacement of the same equipment to ease the concerns doesn't change that. The situation needs to be fixed before any damage is actually caused. The representatives who are telling him they will replace the supposed faulty equipment WITHOUT laughing or making light of his concerns are 100% correct. Verizon, or any company, should not have to over-compensate a customer for any reason. The warranty on his phone is one year, and Verizon chooses to handle warranty issues, so a new phone of the same model should be offered.

So far, in my mind, we have a customer who is upset because his phone gets hot enough to burn him. He is also upset because he wants more than he deserves and won't get it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly certain you and I are on the same page so far.

I realize that you are not on the clock when you post on the internet. I also realize that you are not ashamed to say you work for Verizon (possibly indirectly...I'm not sure) in a customer care capacity. People who post here because they have problems, even if they aren't 100% legitimate issues, will look for you for guidance and support because of who you are and what you know. Surely you realize this as well. It's not fair by any means, but thats the way it is.

When you laugh at someone who says they feel they have unsafe equipment, it reflects not only on you, but on Verizon as well. You must realize this, but did it anyway. I agree with you, but my name (pseudonym) sin't affiliated with Verizon.

Now what follows is pure speculation, so feel free to correct me.

You're tired of whiney customers
    You're probably overdue for a promotion or a raise
    You care enough about the company you work for to defend it at every turn
    You're getting burnt out (with the work)
    The next logical step is poor customer care while on the clock

VZW needs to get their act together and take better care of the people they are paying to take care of others.

Some here who work for vzw don't give a sh*t about the customers, and it shows. You do. Some of our (CB) posters from WDS do. That shows as well. You need to distance yourself a bit from the average moron (not pointing at OP, just a generalization) and stay out of the fighting and feuding threads for a bit. It's not good for you, or Verizon, or your customers. I'm singling you out, but not just you. When you get burnt out enough to tell VZW to shove it and move on, everybody loses.

Well I just read all this and realized I'm probably overstepping my bounds. But that's why I feel the way I do.
    12-30-09 06:44 PM
77 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD