08-21-09 12:29 PM
76 1234
tools
    That makes sense. Like I said I was just curious if that was possibly the reason for what seems to be conflicts in information. Most places definitely say the Storm 2 will have Wifi but many of the devices that are already in peoples hands are reported to not have it. I can't remember where else I saw this but there were others without wifi. Maybe they were very early releases or something.
    08-18-09 12:59 PM
    That makes sense. Like I said I was just curious if that was possibly the reason for what seems to be conflicts in information. Most places definitely say the Storm 2 will have Wifi but many of the devices that are already in peoples hands are reported to not have it. I can't remember where else I saw this but there were others without wifi. Maybe they were very early releases or something.
    salomon wil get a wifi storm by wednesday. watch for the video on the S2 forums
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 08-18-09 at 01:32 PM.
    08-18-09 01:13 PM
    Will do. I am in the process of searching for what I want to be my next phone and any new info is great!
    08-18-09 01:21 PM
    I don't know how accurate the information on phone arena is but they say that the Storm 2 has wifi. It also shows it as being released on AT&T (9520) at some point but gives no suggestion of a time frame. Is it possible that only the AT&T phone will ship with wifi? A lot of the info out right now suggests that VZW will get the wifi version but seeing that info had me wondering.

I am not trying to start a war. I am just wondering.
    You put two & two together pretty well. The GSM version is basically a Bold with a touchscreen. So yes, WiFi is a high probability there. Similar confusion with the Curve brought disappointment from CDMA fans, as well as conspiracy theories that VZW had turned off the WiFi on the 8330.

Now I have not had my hands on the GSM version, but I have seen build sheets. The radio does indeed match Bold. The CDMA version matches Storm/Tour.

So putting two & two together, coupled with the fact the fansites often get mules with no network determination, it is easier to see where I am coming from.

As I've said before - I don't care if it has it or not, as I won't buy a phone like the Storm. I have WiFi enabled comm devices now & never really find a use for it. I also am unafraid of being wrong. I know that misinformation now will only foster disappointment & whining later. I won't knowingly spread incorrect info or rumors. I am too old for rumors.

It is far better if people don't expect it, then get it, than the other way around.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-18-09 03:59 PM
    I agree. I personally don't need wifi because every where I go I have full data signal, but it would be great to have that option if I ever did need it. I also don't believe anything without viable proof. Fan sites do not count as viable proof in my opinion.

I am not buying the Storm 2 either. Not because of the wifi/no wifi issue, but because I want to go to a non BB. I know it is an unpopular opinion on a BB site but I like the newer WinMo phones being released (Omnia 2, Touch Pro 2). I was just curious to what the opinions were towards the possibility of GSM getting wifi and CDMA getting left out again.
    08-18-09 10:46 PM
    I am not buying the Storm 2 either. Not because of the wifi/no wifi issue, but because I want to go to a non BB. I know it is an unpopular opinion on a BB site but I like the newer WinMo phones being released (Omnia 2, Touch Pro 2). I was just curious to what the opinions were towards the possibility of GSM getting wifi and CDMA getting left out again.
    None - both HTC & Samsung do WiFi & have for years on VZW & other CDMA carriers. It is the chip & platform, not the carrier.

There are Samsung devices ready to debut with WiFi & GPS that are not smartphones - on VZW. Again, Samsung makes their own chipset.

08-18-09 11:39 PM
    Sorry I was not clear. Sometimes I make sense to myself but not to other people! I meant on the Storm2. I already know of the other wifi phones on Verizon and even on Sprint. My question was if there was a possibility of GSM (AT&T) getting a Wifi Storm2 and CDMA (Verizon) getting a NON Wifi Storm2. I didn't want to say the company names so people wouldn't start fighting about it again!
    08-18-09 11:56 PM

There are Samsung devices ready to debut with WiFi & GPS that are not smartphones - on VZW. Again, Samsung makes their own chipset.
    I believe that would be the Rogue. Looks like a nice phone.
    08-19-09 12:04 AM
    Sorry I was not clear. Sometimes I make sense to myself but not to other people! I meant on the Storm2. I already know of the other wifi phones on Verizon and even on Sprint. My question was if there was a possibility of GSM (AT&T) getting a Wifi Storm2 and CDMA (Verizon) getting a NON Wifi Storm2. I didn't want to say the company names so people wouldn't start fighting about it again!
    After I pressed send, I wondered if I had misread you. It"s okay - at my age, I misread me, too.

Possible? I say probable - the chipsets & the OS code in the two versions tell me that.

I saw an article online somewhere earlier today - I'll have to see if I can pull it again - where the writer reported that several testers with Storm2s confirmed CDMA mules didn't have WiFi, but then turned right around and said he didn't believe that because of all the WiFi speculation for the phone.

That's what you get online - people wanting to believe something so badly that they ignore & discredit first-hand accounts.

08-19-09 12:09 AM
    Well there WAS that video today showing a version storm with wifi.

08-19-09 12:15 AM
    What I am finding interesting on the video front is how many of them are now showing up as removed due to copyright issues.

I did find one of the two pieces I was looking for on the Storm2 - both shared similar sentiments & came to the same conclusion. They were written on different dates by different people. The one I've found thus far is from Jacob Schulman @ Engadget on 081509. He wrote, "Also interesting is the fact that WiFi doesn't appear in the 'Manage Connections' screen, although we can say with almost 100% certainty that there will be WiFi at launch."

Jacob then fails to detail on what basis he (or Engadget) is 100% certain of this. As I mentioned before, the WiFi option does not appear in that screen, but it does on the GSM model. Another interesting thing is that the one for VZW will be like the current Storm - quad-band. The one for Rogers, AT&T, etc., will be quad-band but without CDMA.

So, if there was to be WiFi on both, why make two phones? You can take the VZW model to AT&T, but you can't run the AT&T model on CDMA. AT&T wanted WiFi & didn't care about customers having the ability to wander to CDMA networks. VZW wanted the phone to work on their network, so WiFi took a powder.

The AT&T/Rogers/Voda model will have WiFi. The VZW/Sprint/USCell model will not.

08-19-09 01:28 AM
    Word is that only the newest builds on the cdma S2 have wifi. What about the screenshots floating around that show 9550 with wifi? Not arguing with you just seems like there's proof out there unless everything is photoshopped.
    08-19-09 01:39 AM
    No doubt some are 'shopped - we've seen too many examples of that over the years. There are also some with a generic OS build on them - this is what we saw with the Storm & Curve 8330.

The first one I saw had the selection available, but no radio to support it. The latest ones haven't had the selection.

All had the same chipset - and the only upcoming CDMA phones with WiFi other than the Storm2 all run Samsung chips. BlackBerrys don't have Samsung chips.

So, unless there is a last minute switch... and even if there was a switch to be made there will be no time for sufficient testing.

Again, no arguments here & no ill-will - just observations.

08-19-09 02:05 AM
    hmnmm just think you should watch the vid twins....
    08-19-09 06:24 AM
    I agree... But someow, I think his age leads him to be even more stubborn than most. He will hold on to the no wifi belief, yet... so he doesnt look totally wrong, he'll add in the possibility of the last minute switch (as if he knew there was no wifi in the initial planning).

which I disagree with of course. I think this thing was gettin wifi from the very beginning
    08-19-09 07:48 AM
    hmnmm just think you should watch the vid twins....
    Which video are we talking about? The recent ones I find that are based through YouTube mostly have been pulled.

08-19-09 10:13 AM
    Which video are we talking about? The recent ones I find that are based through YouTube mostly have been pulled.

i know its hard to go to the front page of CB and all, or even just look up but here

BlackBerry Storm 9550 Caught in Action Yet Again - This Time It Shows Off WiFi! | CrackBerry.com

seems to show,, look wifi and cdma, thanks for your speculation as well though
    08-19-09 10:16 AM

i know its hard to go to the front page of CB and all, or even just look up but here

BlackBerry Storm 9550 Caught in Action Yet Again - This Time It Shows Off WiFi! | CrackBerry.com

Crickets? WOW
    08-19-09 10:47 AM

That one I saw - dismissed due to blurriness & possible image manipulation.

Too bad similar videos prior to the Storm1 & 8330 are no longer available.

08-19-09 01:30 PM
    LMAO!!! I knew he was gonna say somethin along those lines!

When salomon does his wifi storm video sometime today or tomorrow, I'm sure twins will have a fresh new reason to dismiss it
    08-19-09 01:35 PM
    First off I am not doubting the Wifi on the phone for 2 reasons. One I don't care if it has it or not, and two I am not buying this device. I just was interested in information.

A couple of things I would like to interject however.

First it has been stated before that some of the early CDMA Storm 2 devices released to testers were shipped with the Wifi option but not the hardware to use it. From what I saw on that video the option was there but he never actually USED the Wifi. Correct me if I am wrong please because I was just glancing through it.

Second the article said the phone had an earlier version of the BB OS then is currently known to be in use. Does this not point to one of the early devices I mentioned earlier?

Third. Define FUTURE devices? Is that any device after the Tour, or any device they decide to start developing after what is already in the works? Remember the S2 is not a new phone they just started working on. It was being developed along side the Tour for the most part. What if that statement by RIM actually means any devices they make after what they are already making is put to market?

I do not know what Twins, or any of you do for a living. For that matter I don't much care as it is none of my business. All I know is I have watched videos of Bigfoot, UFO's, and Ghosts. None of these have been proven to exist either.

When the Storm 2 comes out if it has Wifi that is great. All the people who are buying it can rejoice. If it does not please at least have the courtesy to say you are sorry for flaming anyone who does not believe in grainy videos and internet rumors. I will apologize in advance. Just in case.

You all were right and I was wrong to be skeptical! Please forgive my ignorance.
    08-19-09 02:35 PM
    First off I am not doubting the Wifi on the phone for 2 reasons. One I don't care if it has it or not, and two I am not buying this device. I just was interested in information.

A couple of things I would like to interject however.

First it has been stated before that some of the early CDMA Storm 2 devices released to testers were shipped with the Wifi option but not the hardware to use it. From what I saw on that video the option was there but he never actually USED the Wifi. Correct me if I am wrong please because I was just glancing through it.

Second the article said the phone had an earlier version of the BB OS then is currently known to be in use. Does this not point to one of the early devices I mentioned earlier?

Third. Define FUTURE devices? Is that any device after the Tour, or any device they decide to start developing after what is already in the works? Remember the S2 is not a new phone they just started working on. It was being developed along side the Tour for the most part. What if that statement by RIM actually means any devices they make after what they are already making is put to market?

I do not know what Twins, or any of you do for a living. For that matter I don't much care as it is none of my business. All I know is I have watched videos of Bigfoot, UFO's, and Ghosts. None of these have been proven to exist either.

When the Storm 2 comes out if it has Wifi that is great. All the people who are buying it can rejoice. If it does not please at least have the courtesy to say you are sorry for flaming anyone who does not believe in grainy videos and internet rumors. I will apologize in advance. Just in case.

You all were right and I was wrong to be skeptical! Please forgive my ignorance.
    The future devices were stated to be from the tour on i believe, or the new curve on i cant remember now
    08-19-09 03:02 PM
    Do you have a link to the page for the press release from RIM where they stated this? I looked and can't find it. I am curious to read it. I checked RIM's press site and could not locate it.
    08-19-09 03:22 PM
    Do you have a link to the page for the press release from RIM where they stated this? I looked and can't find it. I am curious to read it. I checked RIM's press site and could not locate it.
    I think there was an article on the front page here at one point, I am not ignoring you i am looking but at work as well, if I dont get back to you by like noonish tom please pm me and remind me and I will look more.

it is kinda funny when twins goes off line you come on...hmmm coincidence, i dont think so
    Last edited by jnepsa; 08-19-09 at 03:40 PM.
    08-19-09 03:34 PM
    LOL sorry but I am not Twins. I appreciate you thinking I am someone knowledgeable though! I don't even know half of what people like you, Twins, and others know about these devices. I would be happy to give you any proof you want. I am just a 30 year old guy, and live in Greensburg PA. I just like to learn all I can about things that interest me and of the opinions of others. It just so happens that Twins and I seem to share some of the same skepticism on this issue.

Thank you for looking at any rate. I am headed to work now and even if you don't locate it I appreciate your effort. No big deal if I don't get to read it. I can search this forum later to see if I can find it here.
    08-19-09 04:02 PM
76 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD