08-21-09 11:29 AM
76 123 ...
tools
    If you have WIFI on the storm 2 in theory you could recieve email and send while talking on the phone? Thoughts, theories and comments?
    08-17-09 10:39 AM
    Thats actually a very good question... IMO since its not using the same "network" then I'd say yes... its not like your blocking out the broadband signal by being on the phone. VERY good question though and it should invite some interesting theories.
    Anyone else?
    08-17-09 12:37 PM
    If you have WIFI on the storm 2 in theory you could recieve email and send while talking on the phone? Thoughts, theories and comments?
    Thats actually a very good question... IMO since its not using the same "network" then I'd say yes... its not like your blocking out the broadband signal by being on the phone. VERY good question though and it should invite some interesting theories.
    Anyone else?
    I would really like to think yes, but on most phones with wifi (cdma anyhow) you have to chose the wifi connection which i think in turn shuts down the CDMA, I could be wrong, I really really hope I am cause that would be great, tether your laptop and talk at the same time... sheesssh

edit forgot---wouldnt that be great?
    Last edited by jnepsa; 08-17-09 at 12:48 PM.
    08-17-09 12:39 PM
    Tether and talk would be amazing
    08-17-09 12:57 PM
    Tether and talk would be amazing
    And honestly for me in my situation that would be the only use for wifi, but others have much more use than i do
    08-17-09 01:06 PM
    Although if there is wifi you can just connect with your lap top... but getting email while on the phone would be nice
    08-17-09 01:08 PM
    Blue are you going to get the storm 2?
    08-17-09 01:14 PM
    Go check out the front page of CB...the screen should be awesome...I'm actually thinking about waiting and sayin eff the tour.
    08-17-09 01:24 PM
    Blue are you going to get the storm 2?
    I pretty much get every phone at one time or another for some amount of time... So Yes. And I was excited for the first storm untill all **** broke loose with it, currently running a tour and bold, and the storm 2 might have wifi and such so its just speculation but after watching the video im pretty psyched
    08-17-09 01:25 PM
    I talked on my 8900 all the time while sending and receiving bbms and email while on wifi. I don't follow why you would tether if you had wifi. Just connect to the wifi with the laptop.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-17-09 02:08 PM
    I talked on my 8900 all the time while sending and receiving bbms and email while on wifi. I don't follow why you would tether if you had wifi. Just connect to the wifi with the laptop.

not all laptops have wifi, we are talking about using the phones wifi to connect to the laptop kinda like an aircard
    08-17-09 02:12 PM
    Yeah but if the phone can get the wifi your lap top can... and if your lap top doesn't have wifi maybe get one that does and wait on buying the storm 2 lol
    08-17-09 02:19 PM
    Yeah but if the phone can get the wifi your lap top can... and if your lap top doesn't have wifi maybe get one that does and wait on buying the storm 2 lol
    lol, i like my specially made laptop lol, didnt have room for the wireless card at the time, and I tether for now...but i wont be surprised if in the future wifi, for vzw doesnt just mean the actuall hotspot
    08-17-09 02:23 PM
    I just can't wait for wireless tethering that it's a fast as corded tethering.
    08-17-09 02:41 PM
    I just can't wait for wireless tethering that it's a fast as corded tethering.
    what are you talking about? you will still have to plug your phone into pc to use wifi
    08-17-09 03:21 PM
    what are you talking about? you will still have to plug your phone into pc to use wifi
    I believe he meant networking - wireless is not as fast as Cat5/6.

08-17-09 03:44 PM
    By the way, gang - I go to "Manage Connections" and there is no WiFi. Have ripped them apart & no WiFi.

Unless there are last-minute changes out of Waterloo, I'd not bet the farm on WiFi for Storm2.

The Storm2 will turn out to be nothing more than a dust-devil; a passing desert twister - still with Sure Press and assorted crap.

08-17-09 03:50 PM
    By the way, gang - I go to "Manage Connections" and there is no WiFi. Have ripped them apart & no WiFi.

Unless there are last-minute changes out of Waterloo, I'd not bet the farm on WiFi for Storm2.

The Storm2 will turn out to be nothing more than a dust-devil; a passing desert twister - still with Sure Press and assorted crap.

your right twins cause you know everything and everyone else, including rim and all those who said starting with the S2 there will be wifi, but **** we forgot to ask twins, the one who knows everything
    08-17-09 03:56 PM
    Hopefully LTE / 4G will take care of this soon enough.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but LTE will handle the data, and voice will still run on IXEV....so we should be able to talk and surf the web simultaneously, right?

Can't wait for LTE !!!
    08-17-09 04:14 PM
    your right twins cause you know everything and everyone else, including rim and all those who said starting with the S2 there will be wifi, but **** we forgot to ask twins, the one who knows everything
    Never mind the fact I am the only one in this thread who has actually had hands on time with the thing. When you've done that, maybe you might know something, because all you're relying on is third-party speculation.
    I don't make plans or definitive statements using third-party speculation. It would be a rather stupid thing to do.

So sorry I've evidently peed in your Wheaties, but your resentment of that is obvious.

Hopefully LTE / 4G will take care of this soon enough.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but LTE will handle the data, and voice will still run on IXEV....so we should be able to talk and surf the web simultaneously, right?
    All correct - but we will need to give time for the new network to reach maturity, or at least market prevalence.

In other words, if LTE isn't yet in Why, AZ, there will be those who whine they may just want to take a summertime vacation there!

08-18-09 08:54 AM
    I was reading about this yesterday. Will Verizon implement it?

CDG : News & Events : CDG Press Releases

Here is a quote from this article that interested me:
    A complementary device enhancement known as simultaneous 1X Voice and EV-DO Data (SVDO) will also become available during the same timeframe and will enable CDMA2000 devices to access EV-DO packet data services while in an active 1X circuit-switch voice call. For example, users will be able to send emails or access the Web while on voice calls; phones with GPS can update maps or download real-time traffic information while on voice calls, etc. This device enhancement, which enables these concurrent voice and data services, is independent of the air link standard and infrastructure.
    Last edited by sprke81; 08-18-09 at 09:05 AM.
    08-18-09 09:00 AM
    I was reading about this yesterday. Will Verizon implement it?

CDG : News & Events : CDG Press Releases

Here is a quote from this article that interested me:
    yea, I saw CX's posting on this a few months back. Not sure if, where, or how it will be implimented. Last I heard was that VZW would bypass it in favor of the LTE commitment. Big mistake if that were true. Customers are here now! We cant just sit and wait for the future when LTE comes to light and neglect customers today.

But would definately like to know more. With simultanious data/voice on a CDMA/EVDO 3g Verizon network, there would literally be no reason so look elsewhere for great service
    08-18-09 09:46 AM
    Never mind the fact I am the only one in this thread who has actually had hands on time with the thing. When you've done that, maybe you might know something, because all you're relying on is third-party speculation.
    I don't make plans or definitive statements using third-party speculation. It would be a rather stupid thing to do.
    every person who has held this device and is testing this device knows it will have wifi. Twins, you are the only one that believes this not to be the case. You post here religiously which actually shows ur comitment and enthusiazm for blackberries, yet, you show no evidence, proof, or knowlege of using a pre release device. You also post nothing in the Storm 2 forums which tells me you most likely have no news or info at all with the exception of speculation.

Solo will be getting his wifi storm 2 by wednesday and is very enthusiastic to make his video review of it "with wifi." So I dont know how well you are exploring crackberry, but there is a wealth of information out there that will confirm that this is going to market with wifi. Not sure why your resisting this idea so much and why you have a glass half empty view of blackberries in general while still managing to commit so heavily to a blackberry enthuziest forum
    08-18-09 09:56 AM
    I don't know how accurate the information on phone arena is but they say that the Storm 2 has wifi. It also shows it as being released on AT&T (9520) at some point but gives no suggestion of a time frame. Is it possible that only the AT&T phone will ship with wifi? A lot of the info out right now suggests that VZW will get the wifi version but seeing that info had me wondering.

I am not trying to start a war. I am just wondering.
    Last edited by sjsjr; 08-18-09 at 11:10 AM.
    08-18-09 11:07 AM
    I imagine that since Verizon is letting go of its long term device contracts, we'll see the storm 2 ported to at&t within 6 months time. I doubt very much that wifi will be excluded from this device for CDMA given the abundance of confirmation sources.... and for it to only be for GSM would mean that we would get a wifiless storm for VZ for at least 6 months before hand. Highly unlikely!
    08-18-09 11:52 AM
76 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD