Why in the world does perfectly good and high bit rate MP3's when put on the SD card sounds like crap when used as a ring tone or alert? They sound fine just turned way down in volume. Is there some setting other then "loud" to crank the volume on these ring tones???
    04-29-09 04:14 AM
    they're mastered for stereo (not cell phone) playback. On every ringtone I've ever made for my phone (from mp3s), I've had to boost the gain and compression to get them to be as loud as the 'normal' ringers (using some audio editing software).
    04-29-09 10:49 AM
    That's a good question. I have always just used Audiko.net, and that prevents all the problems you were having. Oops, that's assuming you. Can find the tones you were looking for.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-29-09 10:59 AM
    Try using Audacity to create the ringtones. You still have to save them to your pc and MMS message them to yourself to get them to 'install' correctly... But I have over 200 ringtones done that same way, with bitrate usually above 96K, and they all sound great. FYI, in Audacity, you can only snap to the nearest second (even though you can start/stop in millisecond range) of an audio file,so it makes for some difficult fine-tuning. I make my ringtones that come from DVD's in this manner, and while creating the new mp3 file you can convert stereo to mono. Sorry I don't have a link, I just downloaded the beta version of it from file hippo .com
    04-29-09 11:48 PM
    FYI, in Audacity, you can only snap to the nearest second (even though you can start/stop in millisecond range) of an audio file,so it makes for some difficult fine-tuning.
    You can just disable snapping all together to fix this.

Also you don't have to MMS ringtones to yourself to get them to "install". Just move them to your device's "ringtone" folder and you're done.
    04-30-09 01:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD