I had a brand new 9550 stolen and used a few times to make phone calls. I cancelled it with Verizon but I never got the phone back. If a person wipes it can they activate it on another carrier? If so, can I ask the other carriers to block that pin? Will they?

Thanks & happy Memorial Day!
    05-31-10 11:07 AM
    Most GSM carriers in the US will allow the device to be activated even if the ESN is blocked by Verizon.
    05-31-10 11:09 AM
    Call VZW and ask them if they block the IMEI as well as the BB PIN, in addition to the ESN. I don't know what the answer will be, but if they block all three, the 9550 will be a brick.
    05-31-10 11:11 AM
    I think you can activate it on Boost still.
    05-31-10 11:14 AM
    The device can still be reactivated in the following ways:

1. It can be flashed to Cricket. It cannot be activated on Boost Mobile or Sprint. They use the same software as Verizon to verify lost/stolen handsets.

2. It can receive a Pin Unlocking Key (PUK). Once the PUK is entered any GSM carrier can activate it.

If your device was on BES or BES Express your IT Department can lock the device. Otherwise your best bet is to ask Customer Care if the IMEI can be locked out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-31-10 02:01 PM
    My son's phone was stolen and AtT blocked it from their use but couldn't block the IMEI. I propose that we post the PIN numbers and harrass the heck out of these squirrelly thieves! Anyone in?

05-31-10 02:40 PM
    Harass them how? All they have to do is uninstall BBM.
    05-31-10 04:10 PM
    Send them mean PIN messages? I'm sure it wouldn't work but it would be fun.
    05-31-10 04:27 PM
    Harass them how? All they have to do is uninstall BBM.
    Not that I would send my PIN to some anonymous person (nor would I advocate harassing anyone per se), but PIN messages are different from BBM messages.
    05-31-10 04:32 PM
    The device can still be reactivated in the following ways:

1. It can be flashed to Cricket. It cannot be activated on Boost Mobile or Sprint. They use the same software as Verizon to verify lost/stolen handsets.

2. It can receive a Pin Unlocking Key (PUK). Once the PUK is entered any GSM carrier can activate it.

If your device was on BES or BES Express your IT Department can lock the device. Otherwise your best bet is to ask Customer Care if the IMEI can be locked out.

Do the American carriers not have access to the same clearinghouse that is used in other markets to block IMEI numbers? With the SIM enabled devices, doesn't really matter if the PIN is blocked or not if the IMEI is blocked....

06-01-10 02:01 AM
    Sure they have access. They just choose not to block it in most cases.
    06-01-10 06:38 AM
    If the PIN is blocked/not released by Verizon you can't get BIS. If you can't get BIS on aBB. IT is a brick.
    06-01-10 06:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD