I have an Alltell plan for my curve that allows for 12 my circle numbers - Data, etc. that runs about $105 a month. I've been really happy with the plan. Back when I was kind of looking at the storm 2 my local rep told me that I needed to upgrade to a Verizon plan, which I am very skeptical about doing and believe that it would cost me more. She tells me that "you would be on Verizon towers then and can access 3g, blah blah blah." I never upgraded the phone.

Now I'm looking at upgrading to the HTC Incredible but am being told that I can keep my Alltel plan "if the system let's me do it." The tech now citing that she doesn't know if I can keep my plan until we go in and try to change it but has seen people who can keep their plans. '

Should I fight to stay on Alltel? Am I really missing out on towers or service if I stay with Alltel at this point? I am sure there are others here in a simular situation...what has been your experience?

To complicate matters ...thinking of adding the signifcant other to my plan and just having a family plan but she's not due for another upgrade for several months...not even sure she has had her phone a year??

Thanks for any feedback!
    04-11-10 08:13 AM
    I upgraded from an Alltel Curve 8330 to a Verizon Tour 9630 and stayed on my Alltel plan with no problems whatsoever.

My Alltel plan is a much better deal for me than any of the Verizon plans appear to be.

I get all the "Verizon" features on my Tour because those things are based upon the device not upon the service plan. All the towers are Verizon towers now because there is no longer an "Alltel" (in my area).

Now the 'changing to a family plan' will likely require you to change to a Verizon plan. I don't think there's a way around that part.
    04-11-10 08:53 AM
    I would keep what you have til they force you out. My wife and I had two blackberry curves with alltel with 1000 anytime minutes and 12 my circle numbers and were paying $145 a month. We were forced to change when we went to the storm 2's and I am now paying $150 a month for 700 anytime minutes and no friends and family. That is with a 19% access discount and a 20% data discount. If I were you I would just buy phones from ebay or craigslist and keep hooking them up on your alltel plan.
    04-11-10 09:04 AM
    You DEFINITELY can keep your plan! Trust me. Trust me. Trust me.

If you keep your plan, your phone will receive only the VZW prl. Some former alltel customers in some (not all! and a pretty small # at that!) areas have trouble with VZW prls. In that case you would need a hybrid prl, which would require you to be on VZW pricing.

My take: get the new phone on your current plan, if it doesn't work out either take advantage of the 30 day WFG or change your plan to VZW pricing at that time.

Also, it may be good to note:

VZW pricing = ONLY VZW equipment. Alltel pricing = Alltel equipment OR VZW equipment.
    So if you have any alltel equipment still on a family plan, you all have to stay on alltel pricing.

If you're upgrading earlier than your actual upgrade date (aka, just wanting new VZW phones before your upgrade really comes around) they would require you to go to VZW pricing at that time.
    Last edited by starlaleann; 04-11-10 at 09:16 AM.
    04-11-10 09:11 AM
    I would keep what you have til they force you out. My wife and I had two blackberry curves with alltel with 1000 anytime minutes and 12 my circle numbers and were paying $145 a month. We were forced to change when we went to the storm 2's and I am now paying $150 a month for 700 anytime minutes and no friends and family. That is with a 19% access discount and a 20% data discount. If I were you I would just buy phones from ebay or craigslist and keep hooking them up on your alltel plan.
    If you were told you had to change from an AllTel plan to a Verizon plan just to get the storm 2 phones, you were SCAMMED.

BTW, you DO NOT have to get phones from e-bay or craigslist to keep your AllTel plan. You can get them over the phone from Verizon or go to a store and hope you get a trustworthy Rep. (long shot) that's not on his own agenda to make more commission to switch you to an Verizon plan.
    Last edited by HDtechmachinist; 04-11-10 at 09:52 AM.
    04-11-10 09:47 AM
    If you were told you had to change from an AllTel plan to a Verizon plan just to get the storm 2 phones, you were SCAMMED.
    I know that they put me on an alltel hybrid prl 65*** and my service is not bad but Verizon has done nothing but bend me over since I have been with them anyway so I don't doubt they screwed me when we switched.
    04-11-10 09:50 AM
    I still have my old Alltel plan with Verizon 8330s. Never had any trouble until I went out of town on business, to a place I had been before with Alltel and never roamed. My bill comes in an low and behold I am charged $135 for roaming. My Alltel plan was to blame and we will be glad to knock the roaming charges in half if you upgrade to a Verizon plan that will cost you $20 more a month. I opted to just keep my Alltel plan and switch my network option to "home only".

If your current plan is working for you, keep it. Just keep on your toes, any charges VZW can think to slam you with, they will. And your Alltel plan will be to blame.
    04-11-10 10:10 AM
    Do you need more minutes? Less minutes? Do you need to roam somewhere your previous plan didn't account for? Do you need Globalemail?

Contrary to what many may say, that's really all it boils down to. Does the plan have what you're looking for? The VZW minute allotments were in slightly different amounts than the Alltel ones, so that may factor in your decision. That's the main difference. Money-eating monsters won't jump out at you if you switch to a VZW plan, and certainly not if you do so voluntarily.

You don't have to change. But if you want to, that's certainly OK with us.
    04-11-10 02:09 PM
    I have an Alltell plan for my curve that allows for 12 my circle numbers - Data, etc. that runs about $105 a month. I've been really happy with the plan. Back when I was kind of looking at the storm 2 my local rep told me that I needed to upgrade to a Verizon plan, which I am very skeptical about doing and believe that it would cost me more. She tells me that "you would be on Verizon towers then and can access 3g, blah blah blah." I never upgraded the phone.

Now I'm looking at upgrading to the HTC Incredible but am being told that I can keep my Alltel plan "if the system let's me do it." The tech now citing that she doesn't know if I can keep my plan until we go in and try to change it but has seen people who can keep their plans. '

Should I fight to stay on Alltel? Am I really missing out on towers or service if I stay with Alltel at this point? I am sure there are others here in a simular situation...what has been your experience?

To complicate matters ...thinking of adding the signifcant other to my plan and just having a family plan but she's not due for another upgrade for several months...not even sure she has had her phone a year??

Thanks for any feedback!
    You do not need to change your plan unless you want to.
    04-11-10 03:48 PM
    You DEFINITELY can keep your plan! Trust me. Trust me. Trust me.

If you keep your plan, your phone will receive only the VZW prl. Some former alltel customers in some (not all! and a pretty small # at that!) areas have trouble with VZW prls. In that case you would need a hybrid prl, which would require you to be on VZW pricing.
    Actually...

If you remain on an Alltel plan, you will retain your Alltel PRL, even when switching to a Verizon device.

Verizon PRL's and Hybrid PRL's are only available on Verizon rate plans... Or if the network in the area has been converted to all Verizon.
    04-11-10 04:29 PM
    Thanks for everyone's help so far. My alltel plan has been good to me so far. If upgrading to the INcredible I didn't know if I would run into Data issues with speed or overage issues - I was supposed to have unlimited but as I understand it the Verizon Unlimited is capped at 5 gig a month. (May do some FM station streaming while traveling, google maps, etc. surely more than the 25 megs I used last month on my blackberry.

I understand about switching over to Verizon if upgrading to the family plan. I understand that if we both have smartphones then we both need the 29.99 unlimited data package. Is that shared 5 gig of bandwith or 5 each or is it truely unlimited? I'm not trying to torrent movies or anything like that ...just worry about how the bandwith would be streaming slacker or something the like 4-6 hours a week plus all the other apps.

PRLs just tell them what phone/plan I have so it knows when I am "out of my area" ?? (I think my altel plan was a regional plan as opposed to a national one) But it shouldn't affect my speeds??
    04-11-10 05:30 PM
    The data used on the BlackBerry itself is not capped on Verizon despite what you may have read. There's no 5GB cap unless you are tethering or using Broadband Access.

You won't have any problems with the usage you have described.

PRL stands for Preferred Roaming List. It's the list of towers that you will roam on when you are out of your home area. It won't affect your speeds.
    04-11-10 06:36 PM
    The data plan that ALL smartphones are required to use, is Unlimited. As of right now, no Android phone on VZW supports Mobile Broadband Connect, so you will be limited to use 3rd party apps to tether, which is against your T&C's (I'm sure light use would never be noticed). And MBBC is the only time there is a 5GB cap on data so you will be fine. I myself can not wait for the Incredible or the Nexus One...until BB makes some major improvments.
    04-11-10 06:42 PM
    I have a Tour on a NF900 plan.
    04-12-10 02:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD