I've been thinking of buying a new phone off eBay. We are still on the Alltel plan. I'm on my in-laws' family plan, and I doubt that they will want to switch to the official Verizon plan anytime soon. I've been looking at some of these refurbished Curves on Ebay. I want something bigger than my Pearl but don't want to pay a ton. If I were to buy one, do I buy an Alltel phone or what do I do?
    05-09-10 07:32 PM
    I can't answer the entire question, but allow me to say the obvious:

Before you purchase, verify the IMEI number and make sure the phone has not been reported lost or stolen. Several of our users have been duped into buying a phone on eBay or Craig's List only to find they bought a paperweight as the phone cannot be activated. Practice due diligence and only buy from reputable people who you can verify have a positive rating.
    05-09-10 08:03 PM
    If you are on an Alltel plan you can use either a VzW or Alltel device on your plan. If it's a VzW phone they would just need to add any needed VzW features to your plan (ie your data plan) but it should be no problem at all.
    05-09-10 08:07 PM
    Thanks! The one that I'm looking at is a major seller that has tons of good feedback and guarantees that the ESN/IMEI is cleared through the carriers. I could probably get it a bit cheaper in some of the auctions but would rather deal with somebody that looks reputable.
    05-09-10 08:37 PM
    Verizon said they would allow me to stay on my current Alltel plan and upgrade my Blackberries to new ones. Just a thought, you might be able to get a fresh new Blackberry and keep your current plan.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-10-10 12:18 AM
    I have upgraded two of my phones to a ----Tour 9630 and Curve 8530--and still have my alltel 1200 minute plan

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-10-10 04:49 AM
    I've been thinking of buying a new phone off eBay. We are still on the Alltel plan. I'm on my in-laws' family plan, and I doubt that they will want to switch to the official Verizon plan anytime soon. I've been looking at some of these refurbished Curves on Ebay. I want something bigger than my Pearl but don't want to pay a ton. If I were to buy one, do I buy an Alltel phone or what do I do?
    Just go to a corporarate (try to avoid retailer, i dont mean any harm) Verizon wireless store and purchase a fresh, new in the box, with warranty at contact pricing Blackberrry. And keep your AllTel plan AND perks.

Keep in mind there are some new Blackberry/smartphones to arrive in the near future.
    05-10-10 10:43 AM
    Just go to a corporarate (try to avoid retailer, i dont mean any harm) Verizon wireless store and purchase a fresh, new in the box, with warranty at contact pricing Blackberrry. And keep your AllTel plan AND perks.

Keep in mind there are some new Blackberry/smartphones to arrive in the near future.

I don't know that I can afford contract pricing right now. I was just going to do a mini upgrade to hold me over until I can upgrade more cheaply. I've only had my Pearl for about 9 months.
    05-10-10 11:24 AM
    I have purchased a storm 1 and a storm 2 and i still have a Altell plan. wzw can never match my Altell plan. Vzw has been asking me to sign a new contract. I laugh and say ok...Match my plan. They tell me they can not. I say...well stop asking. I will spend 250.00 on a used phone before I sign a new contract. Just make use you check the IME number before buying.
    05-10-10 12:37 PM
    I don't know that I can afford contract pricing right now. I was just going to do a mini upgrade to hold me over until I can upgrade more cheaply. I've only had my Pearl for about 9 months.
    If you have a Pearl then you shouldn't need to change your plan.
    I have purchased a storm 1 and a storm 2 and i still have a Altell plan. wzw can never match my Altell plan. Vzw has been asking me to sign a new contract. I laugh and say ok...Match my plan. They tell me they can not. I say...well stop asking. I will spend 250.00 on a used phone before I sign a new contract. Just make use you check the IME number before buying.
    I signed a two year contract on my line and just added the $29.99 package to my line when I activated my phone. They don't require you to change your plan if you have the Smart Choice/add the $29 pack.
    05-10-10 01:10 PM
    If I sign a new contract I loose my Altell Plan. I dont know a thing about 29.99 plan
    05-10-10 03:40 PM
    I was with alltel and and upgraded to a Tour and they let me keep my plan, so long as I already had a smartphone plan. They CANNOT force you to get a vzw plan, unless you are going from a dumbphone to a smartphone, but you should already have a smartphone alltel plan, right?

And the 29.99 plan is if you don't have a smartphone plan with Alltel. You add 29.99(the vzw smart pack or wtf ever it is called) to your existing ALLTEL plan.
    05-12-10 11:31 AM
    i hope u guys can help me.
    I have Samsung r800 i think its also called delight.
    I'm on alltel contract that expires in december. My phone doesn't require smartphone package so i don't have it. but i have unlimited text messages that includes unlimited data. And i'm also eligible for an upgrade.
    so i want to get a blackberry. was thinking about getting an alltel used phone, but seems like i can get a cheap one from verizon since i'm eligible for an upgrade. I tried to call verizon cust service. they couldn't tell me for sure if i will have to switch to verizon if i get a blackberry. i know i have to pay extra for smartpack but can i stay on my alltel plan for sure?
    05-24-10 11:19 PM
    I signed a two year contract on my line and just added the $29.99 package to my line when I activated my phone. They don't require you to change your plan if you have the Smart Choice/add the $29 pack.
    If you already have a SmartChoice plan, and are adding or upgrading a line to a smart phone, the add a line is $40, vs $20 for a non-smart phone on a smart choice plan - the $29.99 data package is irrelevant.
    05-25-10 08:58 AM
    If you already have a SmartChoice plan, and are adding or upgrading a line to a smart phone, the add a line is $40, vs $20 for a non-smart phone on a smart choice plan - the $29.99 data package is irrelevant.
    I have a National Freedom plan. If I had the Smart Choice I would be doing that.
    05-25-10 11:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD