07-25-08 11:43 AM
31 12
tools
    I will be glad when sprint and verision decide to take their place as leaders in the cell wireless business.
    07-24-08 08:24 PM
    Actually, looks like back in December they announced otherwise.
    Verizon opts for LTE mobile technology from Europe

We can add Verizon and altel to the list of carriers jumping ship. LTE is the next generation of UMTS/w-CDMA (GSM).

"Alltel, Verizon, the newly formed China Telecom/Unicom and Japan's KDDI have announced they have chosen LTE as their 4G network technology. This is significant, because these are CDMA carriers and are switching networking technologies to match what will likely be the 4G standard worldwide. [16] They have chosen to take the natural GSM evolution path as opposed to the 3GPP2 CDMA evolution path UMB."

"US mobile operator Verizon Wireless is planning to switch its network technology from US-based CDMA2000 to European-based W-CDMA when it rolls out its next-generation broadband network."
    Good find!
    07-24-08 08:35 PM
    As another vzw employee i agree with justagirl that gsm is not anywhere in our near future as far as voice coverage is concerned. The "gsm" that you are referring to is for our 4G LTE network for data speeds. Not voice. From what i believe/understand is that at this point we want to put our focus on the growth of of data network and broadband speeds throughout the country. as some of us know our voice coverage is second to none so that will improve but we arent switching our phones to gsm. that would be almost backwards as far as a business idea is concerned. there is already too much money invested in cdma for vzw to abandon it altogether.
    Right...as I was saying before, the phones will be hybrid. LTE and CDMA chips both in one phone. Is that correct?
    07-24-08 08:39 PM
    i think most of the carriers in the USA are going to the LTE and the all the phones will work on just about anyones network i know verizon said they were going LTE and us cellular said they were and i think that att is also i don't know what the smaller carriers will do i think that they will not have the money to make the change. t-mobile has picked up suncom and verizon is buying alltel so when all said and done there will be about four or five carriers left.
    07-25-08 12:18 AM
    As another vzw employee i agree with justagirl that gsm is not anywhere in our near future as far as voice coverage is concerned. The "gsm" that you are referring to is for our 4G LTE network for data speeds. Not voice. From what i believe/understand is that at this point we want to put our focus on the growth of of data network and broadband speeds throughout the country. as some of us know our voice coverage is second to none so that will improve but we arent switching our phones to gsm. that would be almost backwards as far as a business idea is concerned. there is already too much money invested in cdma for vzw to abandon it altogether.
    That doesn't make any sense. LTE is backwardly-compatible with GSM voice and data, and is perfectly capable of handling voice as well as data. Why would Verizon literally create their own standard and force cell phone manufacturers to provide them with a unique hybrid design, when they could simply do both data and voice with the same next-gen standard that the rest of the western world is planning to use?

Verizon built their CDMA digital network to work in parallel with their (now defunct) analog network and it worked well for years, so I would expect a similar path for their LTE deployment; keep the CDMA gear on the cell sites working for a while then phase it out over time, so people with CDMA phones aren't forced to buy new ones overnight. That makes sense, and they've done it before.

It also flies in the face of their so-called "any device, any app" policy they continually hype.

If I were to guess, your company is telling you that so that people won't be scared to buy a CDMA phone right now if they know about the looming switch to LTE. I just can't imagine that they would really go with a proprietary network that requires devices unique to Verizon. Verizon does some dumb things but I don't think they're quite that dumb (I could be wrong). And I don't think Vodaphone is gonna stick around if their "partner" creates in incompatible network. That's not synergy, it's suicide.

Granted, they won't be "switching to GSM" per se because LTE technically isn't GSM, but LTE will accommodate a GSM device, according to the the specs known at this point. Perhaps that's what the confusion is about?
    Last edited by kwsmithphoto; 07-25-08 at 04:29 AM.
    07-25-08 04:24 AM
    This actually makes a lot of sense. It gives VZW worldwide data roaming and in an era of blackberries that is way more important than voice roaming. Plus its way cheaper to send email and text than voice roaming overseas. VZW provides the best data coverage and voice quality I've ever had.

As for GSM ATT voice quality is noticeably worse
    07-25-08 11:43 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD