08-04-09 07:40 PM
73 123
tools
    I switched from sprint to vzw a regret doing so. I drop calls and can't get a signal alot more than when I had sprint.
    Slow data transfer, I don't see how anyone can say vzw is better than sprint. I travel primarily east of the mississippi river and vzw just doesn't cut it.
    I wish I had drop vzw in the first 30, but I kept telling myself that vzw is the best because everyone says so.
    Slow data transfer in Miami? We're not talking slow in Eufaula Alabama, but Miami Fl?
    I now have a bb and think it's not that much better than HTC.
    As the old saying goes , if you say it enough for long enough people will believe it as fact.
    BlackBerry and vzw just might not be as great as their press.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I dont think BB's are able to take advantage of the fastest 3G speeds. I defer to Twins on this.
    07-30-09 12:51 PM
    I'll take a crack at this too.

#1: BB data plans are unlimited and $30 a month for BIS

#2: unlimited texting is $20 a month extra

#3: AT&T gets more exclusives than VZW however, there are enough blackberries in the works with VZW along with their now functional GPS and soon to be included WIFI that will come to all future devices. The future is looking a lot better with VZW despite AT&T being the winner of the exclusives game
    Yes the Blackberry BIS data plan is unlimited. You can get unlimited messaging included with your monthly voice plan, its called the Nationwide Select Plan. The Tour IS the newest BB to have been released, and good 'ol Verizon carries it. Deal with Verizon directly sir, that's the best bet.

Thank you both so much for your replies1

While I totally agree that Sprint is too slow with getting the newest Blackberries, I think you are making a HUGE mistake. I was with Verizon for many years and while their network is decent, I was plagued my constant billing mistakes. Also, Sprint's plans are tough to beat and they don't nickel and dime you for every feature. In addition, go into any Verizon store and pay attention to how every store has people lined up getting their phones replaced for every conceivable problem. I have several friends on Verizon that have had to replace their Blackberries 3-4 times! What's the point of "Can you hear me now?" Good. When you are always saying "Does my phone work today?" NOT!
    Well don't get me wrong, Sprint's SEP is amazing, $99 for unlimited everything. One of the problems I have with Sprint is that it takes a while to get my e-mail from Sprint, not sure why, which that leads to notifications being late for my Facebook which I need to be QUICK lol

1. Yes there is an unlimited data plan.
    2. Yes there is unlimited text plan.
    3. Yes Vz has exclusive devices, the best carrier for exclusivity.

Verizon is hands down the best carrier. It is a bit more expensive but better than T-Slowbile, G@yT&T, and Squint/Wrextel (ok that last part was a bit childish).. all jokes aside switch and get the Tour.

Good luck!!
    lol I got a good laugh out of all the names you gave the other carriers. Thanks!

I'll answer the OP's question first..

I'm assuming you're going w/ a single line plan? I'll start you off w/ the first two minute allotments, since that's what most people go with..

450 Basic: Gives you 450 peak min, Unl N/W and VZW to VZW calls anytime of day. That's it. - $39.99 a month.

900 Basic: 900 peak min, Unl N/W and VZW to VZW calls anytime of day. Also qualifies you for the Friends & Family benefit which on a SLP (single-line plan) gives you the ability to add up to 5 NON- VZW numbers that you can call at any time w/o using any of your peak allotment of minutes. - $59.99.

450 Select: Same features as the 450 Basic, but gives you Unl messaging (text, picture or video) to any network. - $59.99.

900 Select: Same features as the 900 Basic, but gives you Unl messaging to any network. - $79.99.

Unlimited data THROUGH YOUR DEVICE is available starting at $29.99 per month for the Blackberry Internet Service (BIS). That will give you Unl web usage, as well as the ability to have up to 10 different email addresses pushed out to your phone. It will also allow you to register for your own @vzw.blackberry.net email address, which doesn't count against those 10.

The Blackberry Enterprise Server (BES) is $44.99 w/ a voice plan and $49.99 w/o. That would be used if you planned to have email and or data pushed from your employer through an Enterprise server.

All the major carriers w/ the exception of Sprint have carrier exclusives w/ BB. VZW has the Storm, AT&T has the Bold. T-Mo had the 8900 Curve until it got ported over to AT&T a couple of months back. Though I believe the 8520 Gemini is going to T-Mo first (I could be wrong on this point).

And finally, go to a direct store, http://www.verizonwireless.comn or call 1-800-922-0204 for direct information and assistance in setting up your new account w/ VZW. Going to a third-party may be cheaper initially, but mind that you may be bound to THEIR terms, and not just ours, in a lot of ways. Returns, exchanges or any other service issues w/ your new device might need to be handled through them as well. As always, READ THE FINE PRINT.

That should cover it.

Welcome to Verizon Wireless.

So this is what I wanted. I was thinking the single line 900. I do want unlimited texting, unlimited data, all that good stuff. How does that stack up compared to what I have now, Sprint's SEP??

One of the problems I have with Sprint is that it takes a while to get my e-mail from Sprint, not sure why, which that leads to notifications being late for my Facebook which I need to be QUICK lol

Again, thank you all for your replies, I wish everyone could just tell me which they prefer but like everyone said, it depends in the area. I hear Sprint is really good in Fl, but what if I happen to travel out of the states, which I prob never will but you never know.
    07-30-09 01:38 PM
    You are gonna be looking at approximately 110 a month before taxes and fees

07-30-09 02:58 PM
    You are gonna be looking at approximately 110 a month before taxes and fees

thats the 900 mins and basically unlimited everything else?
    07-30-09 03:04 PM
    $109.98 + taxes and fees for 900 peak min, and Unl N/W, VZW 2 VZW, Messaging, and your BIS. Plus your 5 Friends & Family numbers.

07-31-09 02:49 AM
    And do you get free roaming with Big Red?
    07-31-09 04:30 AM
    You get better service with Big Red...
    07-31-09 08:19 AM
    Over the past 5 or so years, I have been to many parts of the US and Canada and have been on roaming ONLY in Canada. It was not free but I don't think many US carriers will have free roaming there.
    07-31-09 10:54 AM
    You know if it was 2 yr's ago I might agree with you. But as one who spends half his time in TX and the other half in CA, I disagree because all my friends in CA have VZ and they are all braggin about their service but when they don't have any service I still have bars left, because with Sprint I also have free roaming And with the unltd data & min plan 99.99 + taxes and fees and insurance it comes out to be $123.00. So how do you figure it's better with VZ??
    Last edited by IZZY Dead; 07-31-09 at 06:00 PM.
    07-31-09 05:57 PM
    You know if it was 2 yr's ago I might agree with you. But as one who spends half his time in TX and the other half in CA, I disagree because all my friends in CA have VZ and they are all braggin about their service but when they don't have any service I still have bars left, because with Sprint I also have free roaming And with the unltd data & min plan 99.99 + taxes and fees and insurance it comes out to be $123.00. So how do you figure it's better with VZ??
    niiiice thats what I have too
    07-31-09 06:30 PM
    Yup - and quite a few more available towers, both home & roam. Plus real 4G coming that will cover the entire country.

Still, nothing wrong with Sprint. I just haven't found much right with Sprint, either.

If you can't afford better service or your credit stinks, Sprint is a viable option. If you like it, stay there...and in the Sprint forums, too.

Trolls aren't tolerated well here.

07-31-09 07:25 PM
    Yup - and quite a few more available towers, both home & roam. Plus real 4G coming that will cover the entire country.

Still, nothing wrong with Sprint. I just haven't found much right with Sprint, either.

If you can't afford better service or your credit stinks, Sprint is a viable option. If you like it, stay there...and in the Sprint forums, too.

Trolls aren't tolerated well here.

YUP- And when I am down in S.Tx checking on some of my wells where no one has service or towers I whip out my trusty old satelite phone and as long as their is sky above me I have service.
    07-31-09 07:41 PM
    Yup - and you pay a small fortune for that. The quality is atrocious and the latency is worse. I know - we have several of them.

Satelite phones are good for emergency backup only.

08-01-09 02:12 AM
    Yup - and you pay a small fortune for that. The quality is atrocious and the latency is worse. I know - we have several of them.

Satelite phones are good for emergency backup only.

How's your experience with Verizon?
    08-01-09 10:47 AM
    can someone tell me if the GPS on the VzW tour is locked? I dont want to pay 10 bucks a month to use VZ Navigator.
    08-01-09 11:24 AM
    I was with sprint and now with verizon, and there is a big difference. Let me say that sprint has the best everything plan out there but they suck in everything else. And with verizon you do pay more for service but for me it's about piece of mind and respect. Sprint still hasn't realized that until they respect the people they have they will continue to lose customers....
    08-01-09 11:45 AM
    actually on my curve, sprints coverage was fine, but the tour doesnt work on sprint, had 3 of them. I am not crazy about going to verizon, they nickel and dime you for everything, but I really want that phone, and my old phone is on it's last legs. I just want to know if the gps is locked out for other applications or if my only choice is to pay them 10 bucks a month.

has nothing to do with "sprint respecting people" really.
    08-01-09 12:45 PM
    can someone tell me if the GPS on the VzW tour is locked? I dont want to pay 10 bucks a month to use VZ Navigator.
    GPS is not locked on any BlackBerry. The Tour, as well as the Storm & Omnia all have the capability of "seeing" satellites without any network assistance.

So you can use Garmin, Bing411, Mapquest, Trapster, etc.

08-01-09 06:24 PM
    actually on my curve, sprints coverage was fine, but the tour doesnt work on sprint, had 3 of them.
    Now this is interesting. What problems did you have?

08-01-09 06:29 PM
    yeah, everyone nickel and dimes but verizon is more like $5 and $10.

anyhow, with my curve coverage was fine, almost never dropped calls, I talk about 3000 minutes a month, call quality was good, nobody every complained about having trouble understanding.

With the tour, I had dropped calls, poor call quality, or 1 way where they could not hear me, but I could hear them, volume would be extremly loud, or extremly low. signal strength was often too weak to even make a call. data was slower than my curve, most of the time signal strength was so low that data transmission was not possible.

switched back to the curve this week, now everyone is asking if I have a new phone.

Anyhow, as long as I can use other programs with the GPS I am fine.

I will just wait a week or two to think it through, make sure I really want to switch, there are a couple things I will be giving up, I need to be sure I can live without them.
    08-01-09 10:30 PM
    broke down and went to the VzW store, turns out I get a discount so I am now the proud owner of a new BB Tour on VzW, finally after 3 different tours I am able to fully appreciate my new phone.
    08-02-09 04:57 PM
    hey Axxman,

I'm switching over to VzW from a Sprint BB Curve the same as you in a couple of days (I hope! just waiting for VzW to ship me my Tour!). I was just wondering, how you're liking the service thus far in comparison to Sprint? I've had sprint for almost 10 yrs now and have never tried a diff service so I'm a bit nervous about switching from Sprint, but Vzw seems to be all the rage so I figure I should be ok.

I would have stayed with Sprint actually, but my company's IT hasn't listed the Tour as a phone I could get with Sprint yet, but they have it listed with VZW and I'm a bit tired of Sprint being the last one to get anything.

So aside from price, how is the service in comparison to Sprint?
    08-03-09 11:13 AM
    hey Axxman,

I'm switching over to VzW from a Sprint BB Curve the same as you in a couple of days (I hope! just waiting for VzW to ship me my Tour!). I was just wondering, how you're liking the service thus far in comparison to Sprint? I've had sprint for almost 10 yrs now and have never tried a diff service so I'm a bit nervous about switching from Sprint, but Vzw seems to be all the rage so I figure I should be ok.

I would have stayed with Sprint actually, but my company's IT hasn't listed the Tour as a phone I could get with Sprint yet, but they have it listed with VZW and I'm a bit tired of Sprint being the last one to get anything.

So aside from price, how is the service in comparison to Sprint?
    I'd like to know the same too please
    08-03-09 06:33 PM
    You kniow, you can pose that same question over and over and get different responses each time you ask. It depends on who is answering. There are people who love Sprint and there are people who hate Sprint. Same thing can be said about Verizon. What I can tell you is this: many times more people switch from Sprint to Verizon than the other way around. Verizon keeps adding customers while Sprint keeps losing them.

There must be something other than price, because Sprint is cheaper in many or most cases. I know for us in my house it is coverage. I don't care what the maps say or the Sprint customers here say. I have seen a lot of people switch simply because I have service where we go together and they don't. If you have Sprint service everywhere you go, I believe you. Just don't follow me around because you'll know what I am talking about and I live in a big city. But I do spend a lot of time exploring.

Here is what I get. I get service that always works. If it doesn't work, odds are nobody else can call either. I get a cheerful voice on the phone when I call that always thanks me several times for being the best part of Verizon Wireless. And they sound sincere. If they are not cheerful, I can usually look back and find I wasn't so nice either or asking for something unreasonable (and being unreasonable in the way I was asking). My bill is always right and in the ballpark of what I was expecting. I don't care about wifi and I know about the Qualcomm wifi hangups. If I was so concerned I would get a phone with a Samsung chip instead.

All in all, Verizon makes me feel good about having Verizon. The OP indicated a displeasure with Sprint as their reason for wanting to change. All of the Sprint fans in the world won't change the OP's situation.

Is Verizon more expensive than Sprint? Sure it is. But I'd bet many on those unlimited plans don't need them and I'd also bet that Verizon's heavily 800mhz network is disrupted by buildings and terrain a whole lot less than Sprint's 1.9ghz network is. Let's face it. Sprint's 1.9ghz is PCS, which was seen years ago as a low-cost local solution. Sprint has tried to make it a national solution, with some success, but their network is stung tighter than a fiddle string. And we know fiddle strings break from time to time.

If you like Sprint and it is working for you, stay there. If you're not happy, you could do a whole lot worse than the market leader. Verizon doesn't have 87,000,000 customers just because, if you know what I mean.

08-03-09 07:42 PM
    87M didn't flock to Verizon either...Vzw obtaintin a lot of that number by buyouts. Besides Nextel Sprint has had to obtain its Growth organtically.

08-04-09 07:55 AM
73 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD