08-04-09 06:40 PM
73 123
tools
    hey all,

I'm planning on switching from Sprint to Verizon. I've talked to a few friends that have Verizon and they say nothing but good things about the company, only downside is that its a tad bit more expensive than the rest of the carriers, but like they say, you get what you pay for.

A few questions...

1) Does Verizon have an unlimited data plan? A OLD friend of mine told me he got charge each time he used the internet, my best bet is that he didn't have a internet plan so thats why.

2) Do they have unlimited text messaging? I looked on the website and the best texting package they had was the 5000 messages.

3) Is Verizon always going to get the new Blackberries? Since I LOOOOOVE Blackberries, is Verizon like AT&T and get exclusive BB's?

4) And last, should I sign up from letstalk.com or straight from the Verizon wireless website?

Thanks a lot for your time and sorry for all the questions!!
    07-30-09 06:02 AM
    Hello ,
    I can at least answer some of your questions , lol
    1) yes verizon has an unlimited data plan
    2) yes they also have unlimited text messaging plan
    3) I hope so but others might be able to inform you on this question more
    4) I think I would just deal with verizon in person (personal preference on this question I would say)
    well two questions out of four answered anyhoo , lol
    07-30-09 06:28 AM
    Unlimited data is part of a plan and not an add on. Its the select plan

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-30-09 06:41 AM
    Hello ,
    I can at least answer some of your questions , lol
    1) yes verizon has an unlimited data plan
    2) yes they also have unlimited text messaging plan
    3) I hope so but others might be able to inform you on this question more
    4) I think I would just deal with verizon in person (personal preference on this question I would say)
    well two questions out of four answered anyhoo , lol
    haha thanks so much, it does help me out a lot!
    07-30-09 07:39 AM
    Not data. Texting..... Sorry

07-30-09 07:42 AM
    Also just add to what i mention , You will have to have the blackberry data plan(with verizon) the (BIS plan for personal use) is about 30.00 dollars added to your verizon plan, if you want to use (BES which is more for a buisness use) its cost more forgot exactly how much more .

Not data. Texting..... Sorry
    07-30-09 08:33 AM
    Verizon's plan for unlimited is called the BlackBerry unlimited plan, or something like that. Our local store here does not actively market this plan so you may have to ask for it like I did.
    07-30-09 08:41 AM
    hey all,

I'm planning on switching from Sprint to Verizon. I've talked to a few friends that have Verizon and they say nothing but good things about the company, only downside is that its a tad bit more expensive than the rest of the carriers, but like they say, you get what you pay for.

A few questions...

1) Does Verizon have an unlimited data plan? A OLD friend of mine told me he got charge each time he used the internet, my best bet is that he didn't have a internet plan so thats why.

2) Do they have unlimited text messaging? I looked on the website and the best texting package they had was the 5000 messages.

3) Is Verizon always going to get the new Blackberries? Since I LOOOOOVE Blackberries, is Verizon like AT&T and get exclusive BB's?

4) And last, should I sign up from letstalk.com or straight from the Verizon wireless website?

Thanks a lot for your time and sorry for all the questions!!
    I'll take a crack at this too.

#1: BB data plans are unlimited and $30 a month for BIS

#2: unlimited texting is $20 a month extra

#3: AT&T gets more exclusives than VZW however, there are enough blackberries in the works with VZW along with their now functional GPS and soon to be included WIFI that will come to all future devices. The future is looking a lot better with VZW despite AT&T being the winner of the exclusives game
    07-30-09 08:42 AM
    Yes the Blackberry BIS data plan is unlimited. You can get unlimited messaging included with your monthly voice plan, its called the Nationwide Select Plan. The Tour IS the newest BB to have been released, and good 'ol Verizon carries it. Deal with Verizon directly sir, that's the best bet.

07-30-09 08:43 AM
    While I totally agree that Sprint is too slow with getting the newest Blackberries, I think you are making a HUGE mistake. I was with Verizon for many years and while their network is decent, I was plagued my constant billing mistakes. Also, Sprint's plans are tough to beat and they don't nickel and dime you for every feature. In addition, go into any Verizon store and pay attention to how every store has people lined up getting their phones replaced for every conceivable problem. I have several friends on Verizon that have had to replace their Blackberries 3-4 times! What's the point of "Can you hear me now?" Good. When you are always saying "Does my phone work today?" NOT!
    07-30-09 08:51 AM
    1. Yes there is an unlimited data plan.
    2. Yes there is unlimited text plan.
    3. Yes Vz has exclusive devices, the best carrier for exclusivity.

Verizon is hands down the best carrier. It is a bit more expensive but better than T-Slowbile, G@yT&T, and Squint/Wrextel (ok that last part was a bit childish).. all jokes aside switch and get the Tour.

Good luck!!
    07-30-09 08:54 AM
    i can't compare the problems between carriers but I think the device replacement is something all carriers experience. As for replacements on VZW which I CAN speak of, I have to say I have had a lot of replacements in my past. But I think a lot of it is due to techs not really being equipped to discover the malfunction the customer is experiencing, so there are quick decisions to just replace a device when it probably never needed replacing in the first place. The result is usually the exact same problem with the replacement which usually is either a flaw or just user mistakes in using the device. Its hard to blame the carrier for every device malfunction and since these are the same manufacturers porting their devices to other carriers, I don't blame the carrier in this case.

I'm the last one to defend VZ, but fair is fair and you can't always blame for everything. As far as I have experienced, in the last 9 to 10 years, I have had only 1 billing mistake that was resolved and everything else has been great
    07-30-09 09:01 AM
    1. Yes there is an unlimited data plan.
    2. Yes there is unlimited text plan.
    3. Yes Vz has exclusive devices, the best carrier for exclusivity.

Verizon is hands down the best carrier. It is a bit more expensive but better than T-Slowbile, G@yT&T, and Squint/Wrextel (ok that last part was a bit childish).. all jokes aside switch and get the Tour.

Good luck!!
    I guess as it stands now, you can probably say #3 is somewhat correct being that the Storm and Tour are both on VZ and are exclusives. However, I think as a general statement, this is false as everyone knows GSM carriers get exclusives first then CDMA carriers like VZ
    07-30-09 09:04 AM
    I guess as it stands now, you can probably say #3 is somewhat correct being that the Storm and Tour are both on VZ and are exclusives. However, I think as a general statement, this is false as everyone knows GSM carriers get exclusives first then CDMA carriers like VZ
    The Tour isn't an exclusive, it's also available on the Sprint website and Alltel is suppose to add it in August.
    07-30-09 09:08 AM
    The Tour isn't an exclusive, it's also available on the Sprint website and Alltel is suppose to add it in August.
    True, but Alltel is adding it because they were purchased by VZW.
    07-30-09 09:12 AM
    The last report indicated they are adding it in the divested markets.
    07-30-09 09:17 AM
    I was trying to say that texting is available as part of a voice plan......but while I was thinking texting my thumbs typed data

07-30-09 09:17 AM
    no hes right. I forgot sprint also has the Tour. In that case Storm is the only exclusive and that makes GSM and AT&T still the king of exclusives
    07-30-09 09:20 AM
    While I totally agree that Sprint is too slow with getting the newest Blackberries, I think you are making a HUGE mistake. I was with Verizon for many years and while their network is decent, I was plagued my constant billing mistakes. Also, Sprint's plans are tough to beat and they don't nickel and dime you for every feature. In addition, go into any Verizon store and pay attention to how every store has people lined up getting their phones replaced for every conceivable problem. I have several friends on Verizon that have had to replace their Blackberries 3-4 times! What's the point of "Can you hear me now?" Good. When you are always saying "Does my phone work today?" NOT!
    Whoa, wrong. Sprint is the WORST. I was with them for two years and I had the worst overall experience of my cellular life with them. Customer service was terrible and coverage is still marginal. Try getting off a main highway or out of a big city and your signal will be non-existent. Verizon does cost more, but all the good things in life usually come at a higher price. Also, think about the future-Verizon is going with the worldwide standard called LTE, while Sprint is going with a niche market product called WiMax. WiMax will be great for home internet, but not mobile handsets if you want worldwide coverage.
    07-30-09 10:02 AM
    I'll answer the OP's question first..

I'm assuming you're going w/ a single line plan? I'll start you off w/ the first two minute allotments, since that's what most people go with..

450 Basic: Gives you 450 peak min, Unl N/W and VZW to VZW calls anytime of day. That's it. - $39.99 a month.

900 Basic: 900 peak min, Unl N/W and VZW to VZW calls anytime of day. Also qualifies you for the Friends & Family benefit which on a SLP (single-line plan) gives you the ability to add up to 5 NON- VZW numbers that you can call at any time w/o using any of your peak allotment of minutes. - $59.99.

450 Select: Same features as the 450 Basic, but gives you Unl messaging (text, picture or video) to any network. - $59.99.

900 Select: Same features as the 900 Basic, but gives you Unl messaging to any network. - $79.99.

Unlimited data THROUGH YOUR DEVICE is available starting at $29.99 per month for the Blackberry Internet Service (BIS). That will give you Unl web usage, as well as the ability to have up to 10 different email addresses pushed out to your phone. It will also allow you to register for your own @vzw.blackberry.net email address, which doesn't count against those 10.

The Blackberry Enterprise Server (BES) is $44.99 w/ a voice plan and $49.99 w/o. That would be used if you planned to have email and or data pushed from your employer through an Enterprise server.

All the major carriers w/ the exception of Sprint have carrier exclusives w/ BB. VZW has the Storm, AT&T has the Bold. T-Mo had the 8900 Curve until it got ported over to AT&T a couple of months back. Though I believe the 8520 Gemini is going to T-Mo first (I could be wrong on this point).

And finally, go to a direct store, http://www.verizonwireless.comn or call 1-800-922-0204 for direct information and assistance in setting up your new account w/ VZW. Going to a third-party may be cheaper initially, but mind that you may be bound to THEIR terms, and not just ours, in a lot of ways. Returns, exchanges or any other service issues w/ your new device might need to be handled through them as well. As always, READ THE FINE PRINT.

That should cover it.

Welcome to Verizon Wireless.

07-30-09 10:40 AM
    I switched from sprint to vzw a regret doing so. I drop calls and can't get a signal alot more than when I had sprint.
    Slow data transfer, I don't see how anyone can say vzw is better than sprint. I travel primarily east of the mississippi river and vzw just doesn't cut it.
    I wish I had drop vzw in the first 30, but I kept telling myself that vzw is the best because everyone says so.
    Slow data transfer in Miami? We're not talking slow in Eufaula Alabama, but Miami Fl?
    I now have a bb and think it's not that much better than HTC.
    As the old saying goes , if you say it enough for long enough people will believe it as fact.
    BlackBerry and vzw just might not be as great as their press.

07-30-09 10:48 AM
    I was trying to say that texting is available as part of a voice plan......but while I was thinking texting my thumbs typed data

ok thanks for explaination , I have my share of typos too.
    07-30-09 11:12 AM
    Well you have to remember that when and if you roam on sprint you are using vzw towers. As far a as a previous poster stated that if you pull off the highway or away from a city you will lose reception. I beg to differ.
    I drove from where I live to my cuzins house in rutland VT. I had another cuzin in the car with me who had vzw. Out of the 5hr drive 3hrs of it were through the mountains. So bad you hoped you would never break down because it would be hrs b4 someone would find you.
    Well my cuzin has a storm and she was using my curve because her storm was lagging and data was going in and out. As soon as she grabbed my curve she was signed on im+ for the remainder of our trip.
    She was soo happy that I got reception we found a sprint store in VT and she switched her services.
    The data speeds were faster and the 3g was more reliable (in our area and experience)

One other thing I don't like about vzw is the nickel and dime tricks they pull.
    My father has a family plan with my little brother. Their website says family plan (numbers are fictional, I am just making up numbers to prove a point) ok so family plan $130, you figure that's 2 lines. Nope that's 1 line and it is an extra 10 dollars a month for the second line?
    What kinda bs is that?
    On sprint it says family plan 129 and that's the final price before taxes. Family plan means more than one device not only one and then add 10 bucks for a second line.

Well that's my rant. I can't compare services because I haven't had vzw since right after they switched from bell atlantic mobile but I have absolutely no problems with sprint and don't plan to leave them for a very very long time.

07-30-09 11:32 AM
    Speeds are really dependent on where you're at, in my experience.

My data speeds are comparable w/ Sprint's, if not slightly faster in some areas.

That being said, when it comes to coverage, my experience w/ VZW has been that it whoops Sprint.

When I was in the restaurant industry, I would go into the deep freezer every day to take inventory. W/ Sprint, I ALWAYS dropped the call. On the flip side, I've never had that experience in the several months I've had VZW.

Take it for what it's worth.

07-30-09 11:40 AM
    Just like with anthing, it depends on your area. We had sprint and once we left the city and if we were at our house, we had no reception - signal. Switching to Verizon was good for us. Now we have moved to Oklahoma. Not sure what will happen now.

07-30-09 11:44 AM
73 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD