09-16-09 02:53 AM
29 12
tools
    I really want a Storm 2 when it is released and I doubt that Sprint will be getting it. My plan with Sprint is the simply everything with 450 minutes and my bill is $69.99 plus tax (everything is unlimited except for voice). I was curious what everyone is paying for a similar plan on VZW. thx
    09-10-09 01:11 PM
    There is a thread HERE that has people posting some of their bills. I thought the storm 2 was going to be released across several carries but could be wrong.

Like my post said I am paying about 80 dollars per the 2 lines I have. That includes unlimited "IN" calling, unlimited mobile-to-mobile (texts, for same account), 1400 anytime minutes, 500 anytime texts, and unlimited calling to 10 friends and family.
    09-10-09 01:39 PM
    The only prob I can think of is that VZW doesn't have the everything plan so you have minutes,txt, and then on top of that 29.99 for your blackberry data plan.
    09-10-09 01:49 PM
    There is a thread HERE that has people posting some of their bills. I thought the storm 2 was going to be released across several carries but could be wrong.

Like my post said I am paying about 80 dollars per the 2 lines I have. That includes unlimited "IN" calling, unlimited mobile-to-mobile (texts, for same account), 1400 anytime minutes, 500 anytime texts, and unlimited calling to 10 friends and family.
    I read some of that post, but it really doesn't tell me what they are getting with their plan. I just need 400-500 minutes with unlimited data and messaging. What would that cost on VZW? I have went to VZW website but their plans are confusing...might be easier to talk to a sales rep at the store.
    09-10-09 03:45 PM
    According to the VZW site, the nationwide select plan with 450 minutes, unlimited messaging (text, pix, flix), unlimited calling to VZW customers, and unlimited nights and weekends is $59.99. The BIS for a BB is $29.99. This is unlimited but no tethering. So that would be roughly $90 for what you asked about before tax, fees, and insurance if you want it. At least that is what the plan costs in my area. It asks for a zip code so I assume it could be different for you. There are also some other BB plans but I did not look them up.
    09-10-09 04:06 PM
    Vzw and mine is 86 for unlimited pix text and flix and unlimited data and email with 750 min

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    This was just posted in that other forum... The callin plan would be cheaper however.
    09-10-09 04:07 PM
    Is that for a plan with a BlackBerry? I don't see how it could be unless it is an older plan. I was looking at their current rates and unless that poster has a discount it can't be right.
    09-10-09 04:12 PM
    What is BIS? This is required for email and internet, correct?
    09-10-09 04:13 PM
    Yes there is BIS and BES, with verizon you have to choose one or the other, if there is no need for a BES server on your phone then you pay 29.99 for the BIS which is unlimited data
    09-10-09 04:19 PM
    Yes there is BIS and BES, with verizon you have to choose one or the other, if there is no need for a BES server on your phone then you pay 29.99 for the BIS which is unlimited data
    Ok, so I pick my voice plan then add the BIS? That makes sense then. So BIS is basically internet/data access?
    09-10-09 04:32 PM
    Yeah buddy! BIS stands for Blackberry Internet Service.
    09-10-09 05:57 PM
    And BES is BlackBerry Enterprise.

Both are RIM terms & apply to all carriers.

09-10-09 06:51 PM
    And BES is BlackBerry Enterprise.

Both are RIM terms & apply to all carriers.

I know that, but I am currently with a carrier that makes it easy and I was trying to figure out what I need with VZW. With Sprint it is called EVERYTHING! No acronyms, it's easy.
    09-11-09 10:14 AM
    I know that, but I am currently with a carrier that makes it easy and I was trying to figure out what I need with VZW. With Sprint it is called EVERYTHING! No acronyms, it's easy.
    Actually, it isn't as easy as you think.

Simply Everything

Includes:

GPS: Unlimited maps, turn-by-turn directions and more with Sprint Navigation for Sprint and PowerSource phones, or TeleNav for Nextel phones. GPS reliability varies by environment.

Sprint Mobile Email: Access multiple personal email accounts in a single application on featured phones. Providers include: AOL, Windows Live (including MSN/Hotmail), Yahoo! and Gmail.

Sprint Mobile Email Work: Access to corporate email on feature phones (non PDA devices) through Outlook Web Access (OWA) or a desktop redirector. If your company uses Lotus Notes Domino, you can obtain access to that email on your phone through redirector software that can be downloaded and then direct mailed to your phone.

Receive corporate email on Microsoft ExchangeSM 2000, 2003 and 2007 and on Lotus NotesSM Domino versions 6.0, 6.5 and 7.0 through a desktop redirector software.

BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS): Manage up to 10 different accounts with a simple three-click email setup, and IM on the go with Yahoo! Messenger, AIM, Google Talk and BlackBerry Messenger. Please note: BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES), which provides secure corporate email access and access to corporate IT administration, is not included and available for an additional cost.

Music Premier: Take your music with you and use your phone as an MP3 player and radio. Enjoy streaming radio channels, featured local radio stations from across the country and 99 wireless music downloads. For the full radio line-up, visit sprint.com/radio.

TV Premier: Watch shows, sports, news, movies and more, choose from: exclusive content, short clips or full-length episodes. For the full line-up, visit sprint.com/tvguide.

Messaging: Unlimited nationwide, text, picture and video messages to anyone on any network.

Direct Connect and Group Connect: Unlimited instant connections, nationwide and at the push of a button. Group Connect is limited to 20 participants on the same network.

Mobile to Mobile: Stnd. roaming rates/restrictions apply. Only available with select Sprint Plans and while on the Nationwide Sprint or Nextel National Networks (excludes calls to voicemail, 411, and other indirect methods).

Phone as modem or tethering: not included.

Corporate, government or special discounts: Do not apply.

Standard features

All Sprint voice plans automatically come with these great features:

Voicemail: Your phone's answering service. Voicemail answers your calls and takes messages when you are not available.

Call Waiting: Like a second line for your phone, Call Waiting lets you decide whether to switch to the new call-or send it to Voicemail.

Caller ID: View the phone number of an incoming call, so you know who is calling before your answer. All unanswered calls automatically roll over to your Voicemail.

Caller ID Block: Block your phone number from appearing on the phone of the person you're calling.

Three-Way Calling: Talk to two people at the same time. You can initiate Three-Way Calling even if you didn't start the phone call (airtime and long-distance charges apply for both of the calls in your Three-Way Calling party).

Call Forwarding: Forward incoming calls to the phone number you specify. ($0.20/minute).

Numeric Paging: Set your Voicemail to allow callers to send a numeric page to your phone.

Sprint 411: Access Directory Assistance. Just dial 411 from your Sprint or Nextel phone to get dinner reservations, movie listings, driving directions and more ($1.79/call, airtime charges also apply).

Emergency Calls: Call 911 from anywhere in our network with no airtime charges.

Non-Emergency Calls: Report traffic accidents, motorist problems, careless drivers or other non-emergency incidents using special dialing numbers (such as #77, 311).

Rates & Fees: Monthly charges exclude taxes, Sprint Surcharges [incl. USF charge of up to 12.9% (varies quarterly), Administrative Charge (up to $1.99/line/mo.), Regulatory Charge ($0.20/line/mo.) & state/local fees by area]. Sprint Surcharges are not taxes or gov't-required charges and are subject to change. Sprint chooses to collect Washington State B&O Fee of 0.471% of your monthly billed charges to recover its costs. Details: sprint.com/taxesandfees.

There are an awful lot of exclusions there, including some fallacy chop-busters for some of the Sprint fans who come over here claiming they can tether without charge or text anywhere.
    09-11-09 11:14 PM
    90 bucks.... 450 select (unltd messaging) and BIS
    09-12-09 12:18 AM
    Actually, it isn't as easy as you think.

Simply Everything

Includes:

GPS: Unlimited maps, turn-by-turn directions and more with Sprint Navigation for Sprint and PowerSource phones, or TeleNav™ for Nextel phones. GPS reliability varies by environment.

Sprint Mobile Email: Access multiple personal email accounts in a single application on featured phones. Providers include: AOL, Windows Live (including MSN/Hotmail), Yahoo! and Gmail.

Sprint Mobile Email Work: Access to corporate email on feature phones (non PDA devices) through Outlook Web Access (OWA) or a desktop redirector. If your company uses Lotus Notes Domino, you can obtain access to that email on your phone through redirector software that can be downloaded and then direct mailed to your phone.

Receive corporate email on Microsoft ExchangeSM 2000, 2003 and 2007 and on Lotus NotesSM Domino versions 6.0, 6.5 and 7.0 through a desktop redirector software.

BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS): Manage up to 10 different accounts with a simple three-click email setup, and IM on the go with Yahoo! Messenger, AIM, Google Talk and BlackBerry Messenger. Please note: BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES), which provides secure corporate email access and access to corporate IT administration, is not included and available for an additional cost.

Music Premier: Take your music with you and use your phone as an MP3 player and radio. Enjoy streaming radio channels, featured local radio stations from across the country and 99 wireless music downloads. For the full radio line-up, visit sprint.com/radio.

TV Premier: Watch shows, sports, news, movies and more, choose from: exclusive content, short clips or full-length episodes. For the full line-up, visit sprint.com/tvguide.

Messaging: Unlimited nationwide, text, picture and video messages to anyone on any network.

Direct Connect and Group Connect: Unlimited instant connections, nationwide and at the push of a button. Group Connect is limited to 20 participants on the same network.

Mobile to Mobile: Stnd. roaming rates/restrictions apply. Only available with select Sprint Plans and while on the Nationwide Sprint or Nextel National Networks (excludes calls to voicemail, 411, and other indirect methods).

Phone as modem or tethering: not included.

Corporate, government or special discounts: Do not apply.

Standard features

All Sprint voice plans automatically come with these great features:

Voicemail: Your phone's answering service. Voicemail answers your calls and takes messages when you are not available.

Call Waiting: Like a second line for your phone, Call Waiting lets you decide whether to switch to the new call-or send it to Voicemail.

Caller ID: View the phone number of an incoming call, so you know who is calling before your answer. All unanswered calls automatically roll over to your Voicemail.

Caller ID Block: Block your phone number from appearing on the phone of the person you're calling.

Three-Way Calling: Talk to two people at the same time. You can initiate Three-Way Calling even if you didn't start the phone call (airtime and long-distance charges apply for both of the calls in your Three-Way Calling party).

Call Forwarding: Forward incoming calls to the phone number you specify. ($0.20/minute).

Numeric Paging: Set your Voicemail to allow callers to send a numeric page to your phone.

Sprint 411: Access Directory Assistance. Just dial 411 from your Sprint or Nextel phone to get dinner reservations, movie listings, driving directions and more ($1.79/call, airtime charges also apply).

Emergency Calls: Call 911 from anywhere in our network with no airtime charges.

Non-Emergency Calls: Report traffic accidents, motorist problems, careless drivers or other non-emergency incidents using special dialing numbers (such as #77, 311).

Rates & Fees: Monthly charges exclude taxes, Sprint Surcharges [incl. USF charge of up to 12.9% (varies quarterly), Administrative Charge (up to $1.99/line/mo.), Regulatory Charge ($0.20/line/mo.) & state/local fees by area]. Sprint Surcharges are not taxes or gov't-required charges and are subject to change. Sprint chooses to collect Washington State B&O Fee of 0.471% of your monthly billed charges to recover its costs. Details: sprint.com/taxesandfees.

There are an awful lot of exclusions there, including some fallacy chop-busters for some of the Sprint fans who come over here claiming they can tether without charge or text anywhere.
    I don't see how that is difficult. You order an Everything plan and you are done. I don't have to ask questions like, "what is a BIS?". Everything is included, texts, email, data, etc. How is that difficult again? If I try to order the same plan with Verizon it is confusing as **** and there are a couple of different ways to get the same level of service but the price is different. From what I have calculated VZW is really a nickel and dime company.

VZW example:

Option 1:
    450 minutes - $39.99
    5000 text msg - $20.00
    Email and web for BB - $29.99
    Total for option 1 = $89.98

Option 2:
    450 minutes -$39.99
    Blackberry solution unlimited data - $44.99
    Total for option 2 = $84.98

It is so confusing that I had to ask the rep if the Blackberry Solution Unlimited Data Usage, included text messaging because their website doesn't say that it does. Plus they charge $10 for gps, not a big deal cause I would just DL google maps.
    09-14-09 01:16 PM
    I don't see how that is difficult. You order an Everything plan and you are done. I don't have to ask questions like, "what is a BIS?". Everything is included, texts, email, data, etc. How is that difficult again? If I try to order the same plan with Verizon it is confusing as **** and there are a couple of different ways to get the same level of service but the price is different. From what I have calculated VZW is really a nickel and dime company.

VZW example:

Option 1:
    450 minutes - $39.99
    5000 text msg - $20.00
    Email and web for BB - $29.99
    Total for option 1 = $89.98

Option 2:
    450 minutes -$39.99
    Blackberry solution unlimited data - $44.99
    Total for option 2 = $84.98

It is so confusing that I had to ask the rep if the Blackberry Solution Unlimited Data Usage, included text messaging because their website doesn't say that it does. Plus they charge $10 for gps, not a big deal cause I would just DL google maps.
    If you want to be setup as easy as possible then go with Sprint, if you want to know what the options are then you would get VZW... Honestly with so many complaints about VZW I don't know why you would consider the Nation's Leading Wireless Carrier...
    09-14-09 01:30 PM
    If you want to be setup as easy as possible then go with Sprint, if you want to know what the options are then you would get VZW... Honestly with so many complaints about VZW I don't know why you would consider the Nation's Leading Wireless Carrier...
    I don't really have complaints except that it is considerably more difficult to decipher. My original post was about me possibly switching to VZW for the Storm 2 if sprint doesn't get it. I will NOT switch for any other reason.
    09-14-09 02:01 PM
    Why would you want to leave a service you are happy with and a price you don't mind paying for a phone that is not even all that impressive? Don't get me wrong from all information that is out it will be a good device but it will not cure cancer or bring world peace. It is just a phone.

I am sure Sprint will have a device comparable at some point. Getting new devices is risky enough, but to do it with the mindset that you aren't really happy with the provider would just make the experience worse. Might be a better idea to wait a while after it is released and see what the Storm 2 really is and if it is a solid device before switching.
    09-14-09 02:06 PM
    Why would you want to leave a service you are happy with and a price you don't mind paying for a phone that is not even all that impressive? Don't get me wrong from all information that is out it will be a good device but it will not cure cancer or bring world peace. It is just a phone.

I am sure Sprint will have a device comparable at some point. Getting new devices is risky enough, but to do it with the mindset that you aren't really happy with the provider would just make the experience worse. Might be a better idea to wait a while after it is released and see what the Storm 2 really is and if it is a solid device before switching.
    True it is just a phone, but I want a new phone with a big screen and wifi. Sprint has a couple of touch phones that are okay, but I would rather trust the reliability/durability of a BB over most phones.
    09-14-09 02:11 PM
    True it is just a phone, but I want a new phone with a big screen and wifi. Sprint has a couple of touch phones that are okay, but I would rather trust the reliability/durability of a BB over most phones.
    Unfortunately the reliability is lacking lately on bb's but what I would do is what you already have.
    1. Check out the prices/plans
    2. Compare with your current prices/plan.
    3. Check out the Storm 2 when it finally comes out.
    4. Make your decision.
    09-14-09 02:16 PM
    I see your point Sprest83. If you want to stick with a BB I guess that would be your only choice at the present time. I do know that the HTC Hero is set to come out with Sprint at some point soon and it looks like a really nice phone, but obviously it is not a BB. Maybe something to look into though. I am switching to a WinMo phone soon just to try something different and I am nervous about it but never try, never learn. I will always have my trusty Curve as a back up.

Forgot to mention the HTC Hero is an Android phone if it matters at all.
    Last edited by sjsjr; 09-14-09 at 02:21 PM.
    09-14-09 02:17 PM

I see both carriers asking you if you'll be needing to connect to a corporate BES - else you'll be unable to connect if you need it as they both charge extra. BIS/BES are RIM terms, not carrier terms. Either carrier is generally happy to explain the difference - if you don't know the difference, maybe you might care if they put you on the wrong one when they assume wrong.

The site doesn't say that it does because it doesn't - but during the order process, you are asked to select a text plan or per message.

Sprint asks you if you want the Everything plan or ala-carte.

You say VZW makes it difficult - it is no different with AT&T or T-Mobile and all three are very good at answering questions. How well you can listen & comprehend is only something you can answer. But in the end, if Sprint is so great & the others so confusing, why is it Sprint is losing customers while T-Mobile is remaining static & VZW/AT&T are both adding? Never mind the fact Sprint/Nextel spends a higher percentage of their revenue on advertising & less on infrastructure.

And, if you're so decided, what are you doing in the VZW forums? Go hang in the AT&T forums where they'll really have fun with you.

09-14-09 03:19 PM

And, if you're so decided, what are you doing in the VZW forums? Go hang in the AT&T forums where they'll really have fun with you.

You need to read the original post to understand why I am here.
    09-14-09 03:32 PM
    You need to read the original post to understand why I am here.
    I did read it - many answered & you chose to throw it back in everyones' face.

It became obvious you already had your mind made up & are unwilling to accept what it will take to get a Storm 2.

09-14-09 04:57 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD