I have run the Extreme Labs Speed test on my curve multiple times and the best I can get is 250-300 max for download speeds and 70+ for upload speeds. I have a friend with the storm who is getting more than double this. I have done the *228 to make sure I am using the correct towers and Alltel Blackberry service is suppose to be already switched over to the Verizon system. Any ideas as to why my speeds are so low?
    03-31-09 01:27 PM
    The issue is that the Curve's 3G is EVDO Rev 0, and the Storm is EVDO Rev A. A is much faster. There is nothing you can do, other than get a Storm, or most likely a Niagara (if you want the phyiscal keyboard), once it comes out. Niagara will most likely be Rev A.
    03-31-09 02:00 PM
    That's what I was afraid of. I will be looking at switching to the Niagra. The billing switch from Alltel to Verizon is set for September. I will have one year done on my contract by then and elligable to upgrade thru Verizon. Tks PK.
    03-31-09 02:14 PM
    Hi, I only get 93 tops for my Storm (ever). I also have done the *228 multiple times and keep getting 93 max either way. Any suggestions or help is very much appreciated. Thank you, CRACKALAC
    04-02-09 04:25 PM
    I got like 490 kbits the day I got my Curve. I figured it was okay for a Cellphone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-05-09 02:49 AM
    I've been looking for information on speed differences. I have a alltel curve and get about 290 where I'm at.

But my question is this: is the storm the only phone with evdo rev a? And does the storm ALWAYS have twice the data speed as a curve if you are in an evdo area? Or does the carrier have to have a very much updated system for you to get the higher speed?

In other words would I be guaranteed faster speed wherever I'm at with a evdo rev a device?
    04-07-09 06:38 PM
    Just did my Pearl. Have vzw. Akron Ohio

Here are the Speedtest results for my Blackberry:

Connection Type: Carrier
    Avg. Download Speed: 227.02Kbits/s
    Max. Download Speed: 277.06Kbits/s

Avg. Upload Speed: 29.7Kbits/s
    Max. Upload Speed: 36.23Kbits/s

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-07-09 07:24 PM
    If you're running tests from your BlackBerry, what you're seeing is compressed bandwidth transfers; not actual wireless transfers. The compression that the web proxy client (built into BIS/BES) automatically does before passing that data along to the BlackBerry is what you're seeing. All this does is show how good the compression that is currently being processed on your connection. This is a function similiar in principle to the old Web Accelerators for dialup connections - the use of a compressing proxy, which is automatically a part of BIS & BES.

You cannot accurately connection test speed through a BlackBerry. If you use OperaMini, there is no proxy setting for it. It automatically goes through the Opera proxy and there is no way around it The BlackBerry browser and most installed software automatically run through a BlackBerry proxy. Any speed test you're running from your phone is only testing the speed from the web site to the proxy, not the speed to your phone.

The only way to accurately speed test a Blackberry connection is to tether it to your computer and then use your tethered computer to run the speed test. And, before you try using Tetherberry, know that is also running through a proxy - and all of your data is being scanned while you're at it. You must tether using Windows DUN (best) or your BlackBerry connection manager.
    04-07-09 11:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD