02-01-10 09:42 AM
31 12
tools
    Thank you. This is exactly the type of first hand experience I was hoping to garner. And the sole reason why I initiated another thread on an already tired subject. I've read all the legal and the moral arguments. I'm looking for real world first hand experiences of penalty charges.

May I ask you if you could provide any more particulars? I mean, you typed it was an escalation for extra charges on data - for an unlimited data plan. Did he grossly go over the average customer's data usage? Some kinda mobile IP flags?
    The notes on his account just said TOS Violations. It didn't specifically say he used tetherberry. So he was either doing something on his handheld that violated the TOS (which is unlikely theres not much you can do) or he was tethering without a plan.
    01-30-10 02:26 AM
    Okay, I go to the Verizon Page on my BB Browser. A nice GREEN icon appears (graphic down arrow) titled "Get Apps." That is right there on the Verizon HomePage. Now presented with a screen "Get Applications" and under it, Number 3 is "Get apps for fun & work."

That then takes me to another page which at the top shows a Verizon Logo (saying Verizon) and Handango. It already knows my device and calls it: "For Verizon Blackberry Tour 9630"

Now I click on Best Sellers. Another Page where, I presume, the Number 2 in the right column refers to order of best sellers and "Tether for Blackberry" is listed.

Please. Verizon led some down this garden path filled with tether flowers.

This, of course, has been hashed and rehashed but really "it is powered by Handango" absolves Verizon..............
    Once again its not against VZW terms to tether, OK. Its just against the terms to tether without a VZW tether plan. So yes u can use tetherberry, but make sure u have vzw tether plan as well
    01-30-10 03:54 AM
    Thank you. This is exactly the type of first hand experience I was hoping to garner. And the sole reason why I initiated another thread on an already tired subject. I've read all the legal and the moral arguments. I'm looking for real world first hand experiences of penalty charges.

May I ask you if you could provide any more particulars? I mean, you typed it was an escalation for extra charges on data - for an unlimited data plan. Did he grossly go over the average customer's data usage? Some kinda mobile IP flags?
    You see, thats exactly what I wanted to know to... Like I had said the other day. I tried the IP modem link in DTM... I didnt stay on long because I didnt want to risk charges. The next day I checked my usage on myverizon... this is what I saw...

SO, the system knows how you are using the data. Which means that a rep does too because it seperates it in the billing system too. I know what is BBA and what is device data.

Hope this helps too...
    01-30-10 07:13 AM
    If memory servers me correctly, there were a couple of post last year, one more meorable than then the other, was a college student. This thread caused a lot flack for a bit. This person, do to the use of tetherberry had his entire shut down and had a huge bill. Dad was pissed

One other that was short lived where a user reported a large data bill.

If this is true, it is hit and miss.
    That's the first one that comes to mind. IIRC, his bill was in the $3600 range.

I've had 2 tether-gone-bad bills come into my store. 1 guy admitted to using tetherberry and the other played dumb and said that he must have not shut down the browser on his phone. Both bills were over $2000.
    Last edited by gettinthere; 01-30-10 at 09:14 AM.
    01-30-10 09:09 AM
    I'm sure we'll get calls on this eventually... with DTM now offering the feature which apparently works w/out the plan attached.
    I'm bringing my laptop in on Sat to show everyone at our team huddle. I think its something they need to see.
    Plan on adding the tether feature though. I'm a chicken.
    Did you use in your team meeting and did it work??
    02-01-10 08:50 AM
    It worked and it shows usage on the website. Sooooo
    We will have to see if I incure charges. If I do.. Well I guess I'll have to call put on tethering and claim ignorance for the credit minus the cost of the plan.
    I'll float a screen shot the next time I'm at my computer.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-01-10 09:42 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD