06-28-09 10:34 AM
56 123
tools
    I am on my fourth curve in 30 days. My sound auido is ok but I do have an issue when receiving in comming calls, I can't hear people at all but they can hear me. I have to do a battery pull. From what I heard its an issue with audio files with mms. I heard the 4.5 os upgrade should correct it. I hope so
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-15-08 12:44 AM
    I SOLVED MY AUDIO QUALITY ISSUES!

This is going to sound really silly... It all depends on how you hold the phone. Since the microphone is at the bottom of the Curve, the audio improves tremendously if you simply hold the phone towards the bottom so that some of the sound gets reflected back to the microphone by your hand.

I did a test holding the phone as I usually do (near the top, away from the mic) and holding it at the bottom where part of my palm bounces sound back to he mic. The latter made a HUGE improvement in the sound -- no more fuzzy.
    07-15-08 08:20 PM
    How is the sound on your 8330?Can your hear people ? Can people hear you?If there are problems with people hearing me and me hearing people what should I do?My girlfriend tells me "I dont sound like myself"....

Response (Sound Quality):
    Sound received is terrible. People tell me they can not understand me. I am often told that it sounds like every other syllable is dropped. Messages sent from this phone are often reported as garbled. The receiving person often does not understand the message. This is very frustrating.

I have had 3 refurbished phones and a new phone over a period of 3 months as I tried to find a phone that would have good sound quality and other (issues with ball, issues with charging port). I was surprised and disappointed to find that when they finally gave me a new phone instead of a refurbished that my agreement extended for an additional year which extends the time at which I can upgrade to something besides the Curve (8330). I still have problems with sound on the receiving end. I hate the curve. I have a call into management level to see if they can remove this extended time frame since I received a new curve as a result of their attempt to correct problems!!!! The sound problem is still not corrected!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    06-28-09 09:47 AM
    Well I called verizon customer service this morning to see if I could put in a trouble ticket on the issue.

The rep actually told me that blackberry's aren't really phones you make calls on, that they are more for emailing and texting, so if I want a phone to talk on I should get the razr
    When I reported sound problems (Jersey City, NJ), a Verizon Rep told me that the Blackberry is not a phone. It is a emailing, texting, data tool!!!!! I should not expect high quality with respect to phone service!!!!!! Oh my!!!!
    06-28-09 10:19 AM
    Blackberry's have never been known for having good sound quality. Before I got mine, people calling me from BlackBerry on any carrier, I could usually tell they were calling from either a BlackBerry or a cheap crappy phone. And now that I have one, several people have told me they can't hear me very well. The incoming volume is fine it just doesn't sound very good, and the outgoing audio quality is way below par. It's not unique to Verizon, in my experience, just a shortcoming of BB's in general. It's definitely something RIM needs to work on.

The ringtone and alert volumes are definitely soft, compared to phones that are, well, just phones. "Notifier_Sonar" is pretty audible though because it's percussive, so I use that for email. For texts and chat I use "Notifier_Bike Bell" because it's subtle, sounds cool, and non-email messages aren't that important to me.

Also, every alert and ringtone starts with one vibrate which I usually catch before it makes a noise since the phone is usually in my pocket or on a wood desk. The vibrate is a very weak too, though, compared to other phones I've had in the past.

For the voice ringtone I use a free music clip I found on this site, "It's Business Time" from Flight of the Conchords. It's the only one I have a chance of hearing when I'm out and about in the world, and it amuses me. I also tried "classic.mp3" which is here but it's only slightly louder than the stock ringtones and annoys the heck outta me.

Unfortunately, the 8330 just doesn't do anything loud with the external speaker. My guess is that RIM dialed back it's amplifier power to conserve battery life on their CDMA devices, which needs more juice than GSM just to function.

BTW, my prior career as a recording engineer makes me very picky about sound quality. I can hear extremely subtle differences in audio quality. Don't even get me started on external headsets, especially Bluetooth, because almost every time someone calls me with one I ask them to disable it and call me back. A lot of my friends are musicians and audio engineers who have the same "problem" and do the same thing.
    People cannot not hear me clearly when using the phone. It is worse with bluetooth...They ask me to remove Bluetooth.
    06-28-09 10:31 AM
    Those of you having call quality issues, which plan are you on?

I was wondering if there is a common thread, i.e., calling plan. I'm on the unlimited plan and wonder if I'm being forced to use a lower bitrate codec to minimize network bandwidth (I end up using over 4,000 minutes per month). Do providers even do this?
    I have had various plans (900, 1300, 2000 min) and have sound problem with all. Additionally, I have had 4 phones in a 3 month period. Sound problem with all.
    06-28-09 10:34 AM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD