06-28-09 11:34 AM
56 123
tools
    you win some and you loose some.... just think of the millions of phones that are produced.... I see maybe 10 posts here about sound issues.

Mine works great, good luck
    06-19-08 11:38 AM
    When I call someone from my Curve, leave a voicemail, then play the voicemail back to myself I can clearly hear that my voice sounds muffled.

Wow I just tried this with my Curve. Very muffled. Guess you can't have it all...
    06-19-08 12:08 PM
    What ticks me off is all these reviews on CNET and other places that say the voice quality is good to excellent -- how on earth did they make that determination when the quality is so obviously bad?

I'm still convinced there's a setting or some other issue...
    06-19-08 01:59 PM
    you win some and you loose some.... just think of the millions of phones that are produced.... I see maybe 10 posts here about sound issues.

Mine works great, good luck
    A lot of it depends on what you're used to from a previous phone, and how you hear things in general. The human body has more variables than 8330's do - IOW, the vast majority of the phones are working as designed but every person hears things differently than everybody else.
    06-19-08 02:45 PM
    Well I must have a pillow strapped to my face then... hahaha
    06-19-08 10:05 PM
    I have never had an issue with sound quality, and I have the infamous curve from verizon, which is notorious for this issue.

In an above post, I saw it was stated that a rep told a customer that these phones are not for voice calls and to get a razr. What the **** kind of phone isn't meant for talking?! That has to be the most ignorant thing I have ever heard. Of coursen vzw reps aren't exaxctly known for their vast knowledge of berries, but that is just plain stupid.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-19-08 10:10 PM
    Well I called verizon customer service this morning to see if I could put in a trouble ticket on the issue.

The rep actually told me that blackberry's aren't really phones you make calls on, that they are more for emailing and texting, so if I want a phone to talk on I should get the razr
    WOW this REP Should not be allowed to answer calls... that is the most ignorant and stupid comment i have heard in a while!!
    06-19-08 10:15 PM
    Those of you having call quality issues, which plan are you on?

I was wondering if there is a common thread, i.e., calling plan. I'm on the unlimited plan and wonder if I'm being forced to use a lower bitrate codec to minimize network bandwidth (I end up using over 4,000 minutes per month). Do providers even do this?
    06-21-08 10:35 AM
    I don't think cell phones work this way, the 'bitrate' of a voice call is hardwired into the phone. Although what happens when your call hits the tower and is converted to run through wires and switches has nothing to do with the phone.

Could they manipulate that for different subscribers? Possibly, but I seriously doubt it.

On the data side of a CDMA voice call, the only thing that affects sound quality is signal strength. There is some redundancy in the datastream so that when a weak signal causes information loss, the missing pieces are re-sent from the buffer to fill in the blanks. At some point though it can't keep up resulting in garbled sound, which is usually followed by your call being dropped.

Personally, I think most of the general sound quality issues people report are analog in nature and caused by the phone, not the carrier. Maybe RIM just needs to put a little more of their research into motion and work on better acoustics and audio signal processing. I know from hearing my own voice recorded onto voicemail, and getting calls from other BB users (on other carriers) that BB's have limited high frequency (treble) response on the outgoing audio. That explains the muffled quality you mentioned earlier.

I'm sure they're aware of it, and probably filter the microphone output to reduce background and handling noise.
    06-21-08 02:12 PM
    Is there any setting on the Curve relating to noise cancellation? Can it be turned off? I turned off Enhanced Audio, but I can't find anything else besides treble/bass controls for the earpiece. Turning off Enhanced Audio made no difference to outgoing sound quality.
    06-22-08 11:07 AM
    In an above post, someone stated that there are different variables in the human body...I agree that we all hear differently, BUT, I am on my third curve and everyone of them has had the MMS issue, and the call quality is terrible.

I can be on a conversation and the ear piece volume will start out very loud and clear, and then go so low that I literally have to end the call and call the person back. Alot of times I am simply sitting still at my desk with full bars and EV signal.

I find myself more on my landline now then ever before.

*just as a side note, I used the curve on at&t for a year through work and never experienced these issues*

so what do you do I'm tired of going to verizon and swapping out the phone.
    06-22-08 12:58 PM
    my new curve has the same volume issues. i crank the volume as much as i can and its still really hard to hear someone. i have yet to get a call in an area where i had 5/5 signal bars, its usually around 1-2 in my frequently visited places which kinda sucks. my old treo700p on verizon i had no problem with hearing, my only complaints from other was that the mic worked too well and picked up sounds i couldnt hear, but on the curve both ways volume is just rediculously low.
    06-22-08 02:03 PM
    from the dialer screen i went..

Menu > Options > General Options

and changed default call volume from previous to 100% and Enhance Call Audio from previous to Boost Treble.

i called my mom and my voicemail and recorded a new message (actually had 3 bars this time), and i was able to hear fine, but playing back my message was slightly sub-par but definately managable.

having thoughts of switching to AT&T though cause crippled GPS make me , especially since i'm always stuck with "within 5000 meters" on google maps and on top of that... its nowhere near where i even am. gonna pop over to the AT&T chat and see whats up =P
    06-22-08 03:47 PM
    Is there any setting on the Curve relating to noise cancellation? Can it be turned off? I turned off Enhanced Audio, but I can't find anything else besides treble/bass controls for the earpiece. Turning off Enhanced Audio made no difference to outgoing sound quality.
    Ya, both options only seem to affect incoming sound quality so I leave them both on, and it helps a bit, but incoming audio isn't the main problem.

Outgoing audio quality is still dull though and that's the main problem with Blackberry's. There aren't any options to help that in the Curve, not sure about other models though. Unfortunately, thanks to the Curve's small, slim design it only has an omnidirectional microphone on the -bottom- of the phone. It's much closer to your mouth than an earbud headset so it works fairly well, but it's also influenced by how you hold the phone. Using my palm to sort of cup my voice into the mic seems to help a little sometimes, but it's still a bit dull because they definitely filter out some treble response compared to other phones I've used on the same network...phones that put the mic on faceplate where it belongs.

They could easily conceivably fix this with a physical redesign on future phone models. Put the mic on the lower end of the face plate and adds some porting through the back to make it more directional. I doubt they will though since most people can't tell the difference and it would take a lot of re-engineering to make it work properly. Some "dumb" phones like the Razr make it work but it's a lot to ask from a small device packed with a qwerty and a relatively big screen.

Anyway, most of my audio quality issues happen while driving, which should soon be solved when my VXI (blueparrot.com) B250 headset arrives. Yes I'll look like a dork while using it but I know for a fact they just plain work. Windows down on the freeway at 80mph work. A trucker tipped me off to them and the sound quality is superb in both directions, even in very loud environments.
    06-23-08 05:35 AM
    So it would seem that the Verizon CSR's response a few posts back saying that Blackberries aren't "real" phones would have some basis in fact, at least in terms of outgoing audio quality.

I love absolutely everything else about my Curve except the outgoing sound. Will I have to switch to an iPhone after all????
    06-23-08 11:41 AM
    iPhones aren't much better, in my experience.
    06-24-08 04:57 PM
    i have a clicking sound sometimes when i call people. anybody have that problem?
    06-24-08 05:21 PM
    I am having the same trouble as well. It only happens when i am listening to my music with the supplied earpiece plugged in. After about 30-45 minutes of my music playing if i receive a call i cannot answer the call with the earpiece. The call just gets cut off and when i take the plug out of the phone,and either make a call or receive a call the people on the other end can hear me loud and clear but i cannot hear them at all. My receiving audio is dead. After i remove the battery and insert it again then it work's fine.This must be a software issue because i had gone thru (5)Pearl's in one week and (2) curves in one week and now i am on my third curve and i am still having the problems.
    06-24-08 05:56 PM
    As I stated in a previous post, this is an issue with the Verizon CDMA BB's. I have the same call quality problems such as the dead sound on earpiece during calls and also having VERY low earpiece volume often as well. Ofcourse a "battery pull" fixes it temporarily but soon enough the sound issues return. I have many times recieved calls that when I answer I can't hear anything at all so I hang up and try calling the person back and same thing. Sometimes I can get sound but it's extremely low so I have to hang up and yank the battery to fix. The problem will remain on all of the 8330 Curves untill a software upgrade with a fix comes out. I don't know if this problem affects the 8130 Pearls or not since I don't use mine since I got my Curve. Any of you experiencing the mentioned sound problems should first call Verizon and report it and make a trouble ticket. Then depending on how you feel about the issue and your Curve, decide if you want to keep it or return it to the store and exchange it for a totally different phone. Verizon has no choice but to exchange the Curve with this issue since they are all still under the 1 year factory warranty. Keep your Curve and deal for now till an OS fix comes out or exchange it for a different phone, it's your choice. That's my best advice and i'm in the same boat as many of you guys and gals are in. There isn't a better phone in the store I would exchange my Curve for so I'm stuck here waiting on a fix. ZZZZzzzz
    06-27-08 02:33 AM
    FWIW, I don't have any of the software related issues that some of you are having. The one exception is the occasional incoming call where the caller can hear me but I can't hear them, but I've had that on every mobile phone I've ever used before.

It's unfortunate that RIM's QC let some Curves out the door with serious problems but I don't think a firmware fix will solve them, it's obviously a hardware problem on the digital side. Maybe a firmware flash will include a workaround for the buggy chipsets some of you got but I wouldn't count on it.

For non-buggy phones like mine which simply have sub-par audio quality, that's a design issue. They promise big improvements with the Bold so they're obviously aware of the overall issue, but it remains to be seen...uh, heard.

Motorola recently laid off much of their R&D staff - if any of them worked in audio I hope RIM snaps them up real fast. Even the wee little Razr V3 had much better sound quality, incoming and outgoing, than any BB has ever had, IMO.

The best I ever had was Moto's 2nd PTT phone on Verizon (forgot the model name) which had superb audio. It was also as reliable and sturdy as a brick, and felt like one in my back pocket. But I never had any problems with audio including and especially ringtone volume (scary loud if you needed it).
    06-27-08 04:00 AM
    Well after 5 curves, I have decided to let my curve go and get something else.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my curve and nothing Verizon has now can replace it, but it is getting extremely annoying having to take the battery out every single day, to fix audio problems, multiple times a day!

Also, for some reason in my area all 5 curves have had reception issues, and no one knows why.

I am constantly not receiving calls, has anyone else had this issue with call reception.

I have been with Verizon for 10 years, and never really had this problem.

I know it's a cell phone and you are going to have times where you just don't receive a call, but an everyday issue???

I even filed a trouble ticket and they said there were no problems with the tower in my area

I am disappointed that so many curves have had this problem on Verizon, hopefully they get it right with the BOLD
    06-27-08 12:22 PM
    I doubt very much it is a hardware issue. What are the chances that five brand new phones in a row will exhibit the same problem? Multiple phones have been purchased by others who say the issue persists.

I am betting more on a network or software issue, or perhaps it's simply a matter of holding the phone up properly so that more of my voice goes into the microphone. My issues with the outgoing sound quality seem to be going away lately -- the quality has improved quite a bit over the last few days.

Maybe it's tower related, who knows. I'm sure it will be resolved, but I no longer seem to be having this issue.
    06-27-08 12:46 PM
    Maybe it's tower related, who knows. I'm sure it will be resolved, but I no longer seem to be having this issue.
    I suppose it could be, they use a wide variety of antennae types which might explain why some people report the same problem with multiple phones that just aren't digging a particular type. All I know is that I got one of the first ones from a corporate retail store and haven't had any real problems with it...not yet, anyway. Used it in several cities too, not just LA.

The RF performance of the Curve is the best of anything I've used on Verizon before, it works surprisingly well with a very weak signal. Not a huge difference, but noticeable.
    06-27-08 01:30 PM
    I know in my area Verizon claims that there isn't anything wrong with the tower here....

However, I read on one of these posts that if the signal strength was over -100dBm that it would be hard for you to get a signal...

All 5 phones that I have had has been over -100dBm, so I do think there is a problem with the software and hopefully Verizon gets it fixed...

until then i will wait for something else to come along...

*just as a side note* -

i had a person PM me and ask if I was just in a bad coverage area....I live with a friend who has the MOTO q9m, and he has a full signal at all times...I would never own the Moto Q though...i don't care how well of reception it gets here, I can't stand windows
    06-27-08 05:24 PM
    I've been visiting my mother a lot, who lives in part of the Seattle area where the signal hovers around -100dBm. Even though the signal is weak it still hangs on to EV-DO but transfer rates aren't very good. Voice comm is a problem too though, but my Curve is a little better than other Verizon phones I've used up there, all Moto's or LG's. It still craps out sometimes but it's an improvement.

BTW, it doesn't surprise me that your friend's new Motorola works better with such a weak signal, they've always had very good RF and voice quality performance. It's a shame they're in such trouble now.

What a business, eh. Just a few flaky products can kill years of great work. I hope they hang in there but it's not looking good. I said this already but RIM would be really smart to snap up some of their recently laid off R&D -hardware- techs.
    06-29-08 03:47 AM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD