I am a current Palm Treo user and looking to change over to BB with my NE2 credit with Verizon. I have been tracking the BB Storm since its release on 11/21 and it scares me as a new user to purchase something that appears to have many flaws or so it seems. I would also welcome the new BB slated for May 09. Any advice you could offer? I am a gadget guy and would love the BB Storm but it really has me apprehensive.

Thanks.

Brew
    02-20-09 10:55 PM
    Try the Curve 8330, it's a very nice unit & there are loads of free apps to make it run poerfully & smoothly. I love my Crackberry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-20-09 11:06 PM
    +1 on the 8330 recommendation. Its a solid powerful unit and a great inexpensive way to learn the way of the BlackBerry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-20-09 11:08 PM
    hey brewno check out this thread it gives great tips, etc.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/blac...lecture+series
    02-20-09 11:09 PM
    Hey Brewno - welcome to CB.

Also, take the supposed flaws & problems with the Storm with a big grain of salt. I hear the return rate on the Bold is about neck & neck with the Storm.

You simply aren't hearing about all of the happy Storm users. I know probably two dozen of them and zero who've had problems that weren't directly related to being new to BlackBerry.

The Pearl & the Storm both attracted a large number of new members to the Berry family - the newbies typically have issues and the experienced Berry users have trouble adapting to the touchscreen.

Personally, I abhor touchscreens, but that is a personal thing. If you like them, you'll love the Storm.
    02-20-09 11:37 PM
    First time BB user here and it is the Storm.
    I love it and the little quirks don't bother me as it keeps getting better.
    Utilize CB and the knowledgeable people on here that are kind enough to share their BB wisdom and experience and you will be fine. I don't pay any attention to the trash talking or concern myself with other user's problems but rather just the ones that I seem to have which have been far and few between.
    Welcome to CB either way!
    02-21-09 12:25 AM
    I adore my 8330 on Verizon. I switched to it from an HTC Apache. There was a one-day learning curve and now I'm sure that it'll be years (if ever) until I use something other than a Blackberry.
    02-21-09 01:41 AM
    I was in the Verizon Store with a samsung omnia in my hand. My buddy just bought a storm and I told him that on paper, the omnia was a better phone. Last second I changed my mind and bought my first smartphone, blackberry storm. Opened it up, charged it and within an hour new pretty much all I needed to know. Searched google for some tips, read about cool little tricks you can do and have not had any issues. I use it for e-mail when I'm away from the computer, music when I'm working out, video when waiting in a doctors office, sec. of state etc. I have themes and apps and have become addicted to crackberry. I don't use leaked os's and mine came with .75. I'm happy with it and I think anyone who realizes this is a cellphone that can do really cool stuff will also be happy with it.

Welcome to crackberry...I have seen the storm...and it is good.

ps. no phone is going to be perfect, at the end of the day, it's not a computer but you will be thrilled at what you can do with it
    02-21-09 02:06 AM
    I really appreciate you guys/gals taking time to give me some insight. I will take your advice...
    02-21-09 11:03 PM
    I am a long time Verizon user and am getting ready to buy my first BB. I am very excited. I was set on the curve but now I am starting to wonder about the lack of WiFI capability with Verizon. I may go to a different carrier just to get WiFi on my BB! ]
    02-21-09 11:38 PM
    I have have the BB curve for over 8 months and I have used numerous phones since starting my business in 1990. I loved my BB curve with AT&T. I just switched last week because I wanted to touch technology. I even tried the iphone out for over two weeks and came back to BB because there were too many things the iphone couldnt do without having to buy after market software. That was 8 months ago. Even now there are things the iphone can still not do.

Any way I was quite alarmed and concerned about the product when I read all of the negative reviews on crackberry concerning the storm. Being an innovator and technologist, I went ahead and switched to verizon in order to get the storm. So far I have not been dissapointed.

There are only a few things that I think rim needs to do in the software in order to improve on the Storm and make it a better product to compete with much of the other BB products.

1. The most important item, they need to re-write the camera application software and improve on the time it takes to take a picture and the quality of the picture. Some of this can be resolved with camera settings.

2. They need to provide a pull down contact list when you press the number key pad like the other BB products that lets you choose the number Ex: 4 will provide a list of G contacts down below. Currently on the storm, you have to press the dial button, then press contacts, then type the letter of the contact, then touch the name from the contact list and then press dial. This is kind of tedious.

3. The response time when you tilt the phone back and forth isnt too bad, but it could be improved on.

4. The sound quality for some reason does not sound as clear and crisp on the storm versus the Curve. I dont know if this is related to the verizon network vs AT&T or if it is the microphone on the phone.

I know this may sound like alot of issues, but really most of these are minor, and really dont pose an operational problem.

I still love the phone and look forward to new and better software releases to be provided by rim.

The only other thing that I really liked which is not available on the storm yet, is the fact that "Live Search" dosent work on the storm. I used this free tool all the time to search for businesses and locations for phone numbers and addresses. I spoke with microsoft and they said that they are working on a release for the storm but couldnt provide a release date yet.

There are other products out there that you can use like "Poynt" and "Google Maps", but "live Search" had the ability to speak your search in the phone as well as type and that is not provided by the other software products yet.

Any way, I think you will love the storm. Please let me know what your decision is.

Good Luck
    02-21-09 11:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD