This is going to hard to believe for some, but this really happened. I have had two 8530 Curves replaced because they overheated. The last one over heated last Thursday, so I called Verizon tech support. The tech rep told me it was a known problem with this phone. So I asked if there was any way I could have a different device. She looked it up and said the next compatible device was a Tour 9630. I don't really care for the idea of of the trackball, but it was a free upgrade so I said okay. Turns out Monday when I got the phone it was a Bold 9650. No battery or back cover, so I spend Monday trying to get Verizon to send me one of each. However no one could figure out why I was send a Bold to replace a Curve. I did get them to send me a battery and a back cover, but I'm pretty sure someone got in trouble. lol
    07-13-10 08:48 PM
    Nope.

10char

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-13-10 09:52 PM
    ^^^^What he said^^^^
    07-14-10 01:15 AM
    They are sending bolds to replace older model phones that have defects...
    07-14-10 01:33 AM
    Nope

10char
    07-14-10 01:40 AM
    I have had 3 Curves am on the 3rd now. I had the same problem and they told me if this happens with this 3rd one they will send me the Tour. When I first got it set up it was running quite warm and I called Seems there are Tours but no backs and they told me to call RIM for a back. then they call me back and say they found a back but am canceling out getting the Tour for now. I had spent an hour on the phone and I was polite as can be. But since I have gotten the new OS installed and they had sent me a new battery it seems to be doing ok so far. But before the upgrade to the new OS it was quite warm Not as hot as the 2nd one I just returned.
    What is really weird though is I have had 4 Tours and all the replacements came with backs and all 3 Curves have come with backs.........and they are telling me the devices should had not come with backs. And they don't. BUT I received backs with all of them............
    I was also told that July 28th I can have an early upgrade and they would let me have the Tour for 199 or the Bold for 249 I don't think so. And when I do upgrade in March will only get 30.00 rebate on upgrading. Seems they have changed the upgrade rebate amounts no longer 50 and 100 I didn't know this
    I don't understand why they have made these changes and take things away from their customers. Are the other carriers doing this as well?
    07-14-10 01:44 AM
    I don't really think anyone lost their job over this, but I do believe it's all in who you talk to at Verizon. I've had a couple of different times where you can talk to one person one day and call back the next day and talk to some else and get a different result.
    07-14-10 07:34 AM
    This is going to hard to believe for some, but this really happened. I have had two 8530 Curves replaced because they overheated. The last one over heated last Thursday, so I called Verizon tech support. The tech rep told me it was a known problem with this phone. So I asked if there was any way I could have a different device. She looked it up and said the next compatible device was a Tour 9630. I don't really care for the idea of of the trackball, but it was a free upgrade so I said okay. Turns out Monday when I got the phone it was a Bold 9650. No battery or back cover, so I spend Monday trying to get Verizon to send me one of each. However no one could figure out why I was send a Bold to replace a Curve. I did get them to send me a battery and a back cover, but I'm pretty sure someone got in trouble. lol
    Appears they sent you a FRU. Probably did not have the SD card either. You now have an awesome device. Looks like VZW gave you great CS.
    07-14-10 08:47 AM
    Appears they sent you a FRU. Probably did not have the SD card either. You now have an awesome device. Looks like VZW gave you great CS.
    The first thing I notice after using it is how much better the screen display is on the Bold than the Curve. It does seem like a better built device.

I've always got pretty good CS from Verizon, heck the only reason I have the Blackberry to start with is that they let me upgrade six months into a two contract back in April. Great company.
    07-14-10 09:01 AM
    My wife has been through 4 tours becasue of various reasons. The trackball,one time we changed the battery and the OS was just not there. Tried to get a 9650 and no deal. Stuck with another tour that the trackball sucks.
    07-14-10 12:52 PM
    They are replacing Tours on a case-by-case basis with Bolds. I got a Bold for my defective Tour, my CB bbm pal got another Tour. I believe it depends on what's available.
    07-14-10 12:55 PM
    My wife has been through 4 tours becasue of various reasons. The trackball,one time we changed the battery and the OS was just not there. Tried to get a 9650 and no deal. Stuck with another tour that the trackball sucks.
    Don't feel bad, I got my tour replaced by a bold, (I didn't have a trackball problem, it was something else) and the first bold I got the trackpad didn't click all the time. The second bold I got the H key doesn't work most of the time. So the bold has problems too. If you keep getting bad trackballs, keep returning it until you get a new one.
    07-14-10 01:25 PM
    no one lost their job.
    07-14-10 01:32 PM
    They turned an unhappy customer in to a happy one, someone MIGHT have even gotten a promotion. Probably not thou. I agree with the others it's extremely unlikely anyone got fired over it.
    07-14-10 01:50 PM
    no one lost their job.
    I agree you are probably right. Maybe my thread title is a little misleading. I was joking about someone getting fired (If I really thought someone lost their job I wouldnt brag about it). However, after hearing the reaction of the CS reps and tech support on Monday as I was trying to get a new battery, you would have thought the tech rep that sent me the Bold messed up.

I'm not even sure how this works, but if the tech support rep put in the order for a Tour, but it was actually New Breed who sent out the Bold, wouldn't it be a mistake on New Breed's end anyway? I just took a chance and asked for a different model and got lucky. I really figured they would say no or if they said yes they would offer me some a Pre Plus or Ally or lower ender smartphone.

I was just surprised to get a Bold, very happy, but surprised.
    07-14-10 02:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD