I have a BlackBerry Curve 8330 my current OS is 4.5.0.175, Verizon Reps are telling me that 4.5.0.138 is the most current update. In my BlackBerry Desktop Manager it shows versions 4.5.0.77 and 4.5.0.138 would be a downgrade over my current OS of .175. My question is if the last numbers are higher is that the newer version?
    01-15-10 09:36 PM
    Yes .175 is a higher version, problem is that .175 in a non released version by VZW and will not supported by them
    01-15-10 09:58 PM
    .175 became official a few days ago. An email from RIM was sent out and an OTA option was made available as well as the standard DL from App Loader. This has been discussed in the 83XX device threads.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-16-10 08:13 AM
    It may have been released by RIM a few days ago, but the last approved release by VZW was back on 8/11/2009. So what VZW is telling you is correct. With this in mind, the answer to your is yes. The higher the .XXX is the new the version.

Does not mean the device will not work by upgrading, but may affect the device with VZW network and applications. This means VZW will not support the problem. They will try and help, but if not resolved they cannot escalate to network, but might get you RIM
    01-16-10 08:35 AM
    If this OS is not "official" then why is .175 offered as an option when accessed thru DM and why is it now available thru OTA?

01-16-10 09:11 AM
    If this OS is not "official" then why is .175 offered as an option when accessed thru DM and why is it now available thru OTA?

Like I said this is push from RIM, not VZW. You can go to BlackBerry® Software Updates and see what is released by VZW

EDIT: on the above website .138 is official released by VZW.
    Last edited by lastraid; 01-16-10 at 09:23 AM.
    01-16-10 09:17 AM
    Thanks for the info. I guess my question is why or how can RIM trump VZW's decision on what OS is directly available? I am by no means in the know on thses things but isn't there a vendor file (VZW in this case) that allows direct loading without altering the OS?

01-16-10 09:43 AM
    Thanks for the info. I guess my question is why or how can RIM trump VZW's decision on what OS is directly available? I am by no means in the know on thses things but isn't there a vendor file (VZW in this case) that allows direct loading without altering the OS?

Great question, I do not answer for this. I think what really might is that RIM will push it, if it works then VZW will add it their site and release it. Just a thought from what I have seen on other releases.
    01-16-10 09:54 AM
    Thanks...makes sense. It seems to me that VZW has been somewhat slow when it comes to updating the OS for the 8330. Imo the .138 was not a great OS, but .175 has its own issues. I guess we're looking for functionality, not perfection.

01-16-10 10:13 AM
    Thanks...makes sense. It seems to me that VZW has been somewhat slow when it comes to updating the OS for the 8330. Imo the .138 was not a great OS, but .175 has its own issues. I guess we're looking for functionality, not perfection.

VZW is known for being slow, this is that they try to test it very well before they approve it. But hey, the best test is the consumer as we put 3rd party apps on, put the device through things the carrier will not,etc.
    01-16-10 10:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD