I check their site now and then. Lately they are having a run of sales and lowered prices on BBs. The B1G1 sale. Pearl currently free w/new activation. Curves sold out online.

Granted they are clearly trying to snare new customers since the Storm was included in B1G1.
    Can't help but wonder if they're clearing some of their other BB inventory out for newer BB model(s)?
    One can hope?
    02-11-09 11:41 AM
    There has been plenty of speculation of the 9030 and the 8230 coming to Verizon soon. Nothing has since been confirmed though. We are all hoping.
    02-11-09 11:44 AM
    Verizon has been so quite on this! Nothing leaked no pics nothing. Just that Pearl Flip thing.
    02-11-09 11:49 AM
    Probably a little of both. Given the state of the economy, I imagine fewer people are "splurging" for smartphones, and so VZW is not getting the extra revenue from Internet enabled devices that they would like. Guessing they're trying to up their monthly revenues by taking away some of the upfront costs for potential buyers. Plus, they probably don't want to be caught with a bunch of excess inventory should new models appear during this downturn/recession/cruddy economic situation. Might also be trying to take away some of the negative attention the Storm has provided by lowering that price (in a two fer kind of way). Who knows. Purely speculative on my part.
    02-11-09 11:50 AM
    Verizon sent me an early upgrade offer, one year early, just weeks after I bought my Curve by adding another line since I couldn't upgrade at the time. But yeah, clearing out the old stock is what CS told me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-11-09 11:51 AM
    Sounds to me like new device models will be coming sooner than later. But I do remember last year at this time AT&T was giving all PDA's for $99 with anticipation of the Bold release during the summer. Idealy, right after the iPhone 3G release.
    02-11-09 12:43 PM
    Well it does give them a chance to offer the service @ a much cheaper cost to the customer. And yeah I'm sure they are trying to move the inventory in anticipation of the new bb's that will be coming @ some point!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-11-09 12:54 PM
    heard on cnn or msnbc that blackberry sales where lagging maybe they are trying to boost sales. as poe1983 also said new stuff coming out. mid may heard something about the bold
    02-11-09 12:54 PM
    Well RIM's stock is plunging so far today. They're at $47.02 as I type this. Down from $57.03 close yesterday. Basically they lowered their quarter 4 expectations today and the stock plummeted. The funny thing though is that they're estimated new subsrcibers (mostly due to the Storm) is probably 20% over what they originally predicted. Here's the article from Reuters for anyone who's interested.

RIM Article
    02-11-09 01:04 PM
    Well was told continuously supposably on the dl to be waiting for some new models soon.
    02-11-09 01:13 PM
    From what I'm hearing they are sold out online for Curves (just checked and it's true) and the Pearls are in short supply as well... I guess I'm glad I didn't wait to get my Curve. Getting it at Christmas was apparently the smart choice. They have HUGE deals online on the Pearls as well so I imagine those will be gone soon as well. They have to be getting ready for new products for them to be blowing these things out this way. Maybe the long anticipated wait for the newer models will be coming to an end sooner instead of later! Me, I love my Curve.
    02-11-09 02:45 PM
    I got a bit of a scoop after I posted above. (VZW is replacing my Storm with a Curve, woohoo!). In talking to the CS rep, whom I had asked yesterday about possible new BBs, she said they aren't advised early, could be as late as the day before they are launched. However, we have done a lot of chatting (she is trying to help me out with some contract issues.). Anyway, today she told me that after our conversation yesterday, out of curiosity she asked around in her department (supervisors) and it was relayed to her that a new model BB is indeed about to be launched "soon". Could be next week, could be a month or so, but "very near future". We'll see, I'm just the messenger.

Just a guess, if it is accurate, based on rumors kicking around, probably the Niagara (VZW's version of Bold)? That's the one I've been truly drooling over, altho haven't seen the newest Curve in action, so probably would drool over it too!

Edit: Just saw TearBear's post above. Yes, stock is low online and also at local retailers (I'm in a large metro area, too). One local VZW Corporate has 3 Curves left, the other has none, and another local authorized dealer has 1 Curve in stock. But Corporate did tell me the distribution center for Midwest area has 200 in stock, but he said those usually have to be obtained via VZW CS, not online ordering or retail stores.
    Last edited by periwinklemoon; 02-11-09 at 03:16 PM.
    02-11-09 03:09 PM