09-04-08 08:38 PM
49 12
tools
    verizon screwed me 3 times now on my curve upgrade. i am looking to cancel my service with them and go with sprint possible. here are my questions.

1. how do i terminate my contract with verizon without them clubbing me over the head with early termination fees on all 3 of my phones?

2. is sprint the carrier to go with?

3. are there any new bb coming to sprint worth waiting for?

verizon has made me crazy but will not stand in my way of getting a bb by days end. any and all help will be greatly appreciated. ed
    08-29-08 02:33 PM
    Don't shoot the messenger. etf is $175 per line - $5 per month that the contract has run.
    What are they not doing? Please be more specific.
    You probably will not be happy with sprint, no mms for one reason, maybe try a test drive on tmo or at&t.
    you should be eligible for the vip program, which gives the ptimary a yearly upgrade.
    you can also add a line to get your curve and transfer the #.
    08-29-08 02:39 PM
    1. Don't know if this possible. But I believe they have pro-rated ETFs.

2. I like Sprint a lot. Seems like they're making a turn-around with the new CEO. It's all about how the coverage is in your area.

3. Not that I heard of.
    08-29-08 02:39 PM
    You probably will not be happy with sprint, no mms for one reason, maybe try a test drive on tmo or at&t.
    How do you know he won't be happy with Sprint? This site is full of people happy with them. And lack of MMS is not a big deal. There are workarounds for it.
    08-29-08 02:42 PM
    1. They should have the pro-rated ETF but like with anything else, if you take your complaints up the ladder far enough, I'm sure you can get your ETF considerably reduced or waived.

2. I like Sprint, they seem to be getting better, their coverage can be spotty depending on where you live though.

3. Other than the 8350 coming out for Nextel, there are no new BB's coming in the next few months. Probably wont have anything new until spring 09
    08-29-08 02:43 PM
    prorated etf is minus $5 per month for every month that has been paid on an existing contract.
    08-29-08 02:50 PM
    heres a little more info. they refused my vip upgrade and wanted me to pay the online price of $99 which i was willing to do. the line i was upgrading is not available to upgrade until oct 27th. but because i am having service issues with the phone they were willing to waive the date to current. twice i talked to 2 different managers and both have promised the upgrade is eligible and both times have failed. i talked to them today and was put on hold for a total of 35 minutes to get their stories straight. i finally get a manager on the phone and she changes the upgrade eligibility date to today. i wait an hour as instructed before i go to the store to do the upgrade and the schmuck behind the counter says he wont do it for less than 149.99 and he doesnt care what customer svc has to say. so i am furious at this point dealing with this since last week. i am paying about $250 a month w verizon for 3 lines. the same plan with sprint would cost me 150 before taxes. so i am seriously ready to make the switch. is the sprint service not as good with vzw?
    08-29-08 02:55 PM
    may i ask what mms is? also i live in central florida, does anyone have any coverage problems with service?
    08-29-08 02:57 PM
    To be honest, i'm no fanboy of either, I dropped srint for vzw, bad coverage is bad coverage.
    MMS is media messaging, pics, vids, sounds. Sprint doesn't have it.
    You are VIP Eligible call and talk to a rep or super, they should be upgrading you today for free, with free 2 day delivery and 25% off accessories. Stores can suck depending on the location. Do it all over the phone with a somewhat knowlegeable rep or their super..
    GL
    08-29-08 03:09 PM
    this all started on the phone. twice it was ordered and twice it was cancelled. if sprint is not all that hot what about att?
    08-29-08 03:11 PM
    I would ask people in your area. Sprint is awesome where I live; AT&T, not so hot. It really depends on how coverage is where you live.
    08-29-08 03:14 PM
    may i ask what mms is? also i live in central florida, does anyone have any coverage problems with service?
    no coverage issues in southwest florida and i haven't heard of any in central fl.

i agree that it is sometimes best to do the upgrade over the phone!
    08-29-08 03:17 PM
    If tmo or AT&T had the coverage, I'd switch, do a test drive.
    Try this csr # 18002201615 .

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-29-08 03:18 PM
    AT&T doesn't always have more bars EVERYWHERE trust me, just depends where you are.

But I've nothing but great customer service and reception (where I get it apparently... AT&T isn't fond of cows), I've only had to go with one refub because I fubared the phone beyond all get out! LOL They had no problems giving it to me and it worked like a brand new one.

I've stayed with AT&T because of the great customer service, I can deal that they haven't put recievers on the cows yet.
    08-29-08 03:20 PM
    i guess it boils down to importance. i like the option of sprint tv on the sprint curve. does no mms means i wont be able email pics, sounds and videos at all?i do need to be able to send and recieve spreadsheets through email. i heard some of the features on the vzw bb are locked down. is this true?
    Last edited by BigCoin; 08-29-08 at 03:28 PM.
    08-29-08 03:26 PM
    i guess it boils down to importance. i like the option of sprint tv on the sprint curve. does no mms means i wont be able email pics, sounds and videos at all? i heard some of the features on the vzw bb are locked down. is this true?
    The GPS feature is disabled on VZW. You have to purchase the VZ Navigator deal they got. Sprint TV and GPS, along with internet and email, are included in their Simply Everything Plans (awesome bang for your buck).

I haven't tried this, but these are supposed to be the workarounds for the Sprint MMS issue:

Send to a:

Sprint handset - phonenumber@pm.sprint.com

Verizon handset - phonenumber@Vzwpix.com; phonenumber@vtext.com

TMobile handset - phonenumber@tmomail.net

AT&T handset - phonenumber@mms.att.net

Alltel handset - phonenumber@message.alltel.net

US Cellular handset - phonenumber@mms.uscc.net

Nextel handset - phonenumber@messaging.Nextel.com

And I've also heard that 811.com - Free SMS Text Messaging - Send free text messages, pictures, ringtones & video works for sending pics to phones.
    Last edited by 49ways; 08-29-08 at 03:32 PM.
    08-29-08 03:30 PM
    We just switched from Verizon's berry's to US Cellular and are pleased with the service. My verizon bills were astronomical!
    08-29-08 03:36 PM
    i guess it boils down to importance. i like the option of sprint tv on the sprint curve. does no mms means i wont be able email pics, sounds and videos at all?i do need to be able to send and recieve spreadsheets through email. i heard some of the features on the vzw bb are locked down. is this true?
    I wouldn't leave Verizon just yet. From what you're saying the managers and Supervisors changed dates for you to help you out but you got with some cuckoo reps at the store that didn't know what was going on. What I would do just one more time is to do the upgrade over the phone and just let them send you the phones that you need. That way you're not running all over the place. Makes perfectly good sense to me!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-29-08 03:51 PM
    I have been trying to get this resolved over the phone but have gotten some crazy people i guess. i am going to try one more time tonight to get this resolved at the store level this time before i jump ship.
    08-29-08 04:05 PM
    I wouldn't ditch Verizon just yet either, if only because the ETF's on three accounts are going to be quite painful, even with prorating.

Here's how to deal with the people at the Verizon store (it's my standard MOP when I want something challenging from them lol).

First, realize that the people who greet you when you come in the door are usually low level lackeys who want only one thing - to sell you something. They don't really care about your account or your service or your minutes. They want to make their sales quota.

So, as soon as you walk into the store tell them you've had a lot of problems with your account and then immediately ask to talk to a manager. Now, they'll try to offer to help you themselves, but you should politely insist.

Once you've got the manager there, tell him you're a VIP customer with three accounts but you're about to cancel all three of them due to poor service. Do this poilitely, by the way, and make sure you let him know you'd really like to stay with Verizon but you need his help. Once that you've laid the groundwork and you've got the manager ready to try to "save" the account, then - and only then - tell him what you want. Make sure he pulls your account information up on the computer. Make sure he reads all the notes too.

Stay calm. Stay polite. And stay focused. If he still tells you he can't help you then reitterate that you're going to move your service to their competitor. Sound a bit reluctant if you can. Don't leave the store just yet. Give him a minute to think about it. He's almost guaranteed to change his mind.

And if not, there's always another carrier .
    08-29-08 04:08 PM
    I tried this tactic on the phone but it is very useful and i will try it at the store level and see what happens. i have never had a problem with vzw until now and this bad experience probably makes up for all the good ones.
    08-29-08 04:20 PM
    wow i never had a problem with vzw, i just cali and complain and get my way. I got the treo 755 when i first came out for $45 and got the blackberry a week before it was supposed to come out for $100. I have heard sprint service is really terrible and actually I have gotten like $125 for switching all my friends and fam over to the v. Just chop it up with them and tell them your going to leave and they should jump and fix it. I never get a phone from the store it takes too much and most of the time they don't have a idea what they are talking about.
    Last edited by stayfly; 08-29-08 at 04:29 PM.
    08-29-08 04:27 PM
    my verizon bb service is alot better than my att iphone coverage go into a corp store and talk to manager they usually work with you
    08-29-08 04:29 PM
    i have to honestly say i am surprised with all the trouble i am having too, maybe thats why this whole situation got me so crazy. i am going to put them to the test tonight and under no circumstances will i leave without my bb. I dont even have this thing yet and its like crack...damn...lol
    08-29-08 04:52 PM
    How do you know he won't be happy with Sprint? This site is full of people happy with them. And lack of MMS is not a big deal. There are workarounds for it.
    49ways does have a point, like there is a workaround for the GPS issue on Verizon.
    08-29-08 04:54 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD