Is is true?
    Last edited by fearmychickens; 06-12-10 at 10:14 AM.
    06-11-10 02:40 PM
    yes it's true, although i'm not sure if it's true on the additional lines on the family plan.

for the last few years i have been upgrading every year. but you have to pay an early upgrade fee, which is $20 i think?
    06-11-10 02:57 PM
    If you have a plan above some dollar amount (forget what it is) the primary line for all accounts single/family are eligible for an annual upgrade. Never had to pay $20 for my annuals.
    06-11-10 03:31 PM
    I believe only primary line has the annual upgrade option. I paid the fee once, but I needed a phone urgently so I didn't care.
    06-11-10 03:34 PM
    Primary line gets to upgrade annually, but extra lines must wait 18 months...still not bad.
    06-11-10 08:20 PM
    Primary line gets to upgrade annually, but extra lines must wait 18 months...still not bad.
    Well I'm on an individual plan so looks like I get to upgrade every year!
    06-11-10 08:25 PM
    Upgrading every year sounds good to me. Besides, vzw will make tons of money on selling phones. It's a win win situation. ;-)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-11-10 11:45 PM
    If you're on an individual plan you must have a plan valued at 59.99 a month. Data charges, like Blackberry data plans don't count towards that price.

06-12-10 01:00 AM
    It is true, I have 2 lines but only the primary line is eligible for the annual upgrade. I have had to pay the $20 but I don't care. : )
    06-12-10 06:29 AM
    Same at AT&T.
    Primary line can upgrade yearly - Other ones are 2 years.
    06-12-10 07:35 AM
    Yearly upgrades are great.

It was my saving grace in getting my 9650.
    06-12-10 07:37 AM
    If you're on an individual plan you must have a plan valued at 59.99 a month. Data charges, like Blackberry data plans don't count towards that price.

Without my data plan, my plan is valued at $70/month. Good thing I have an extended warranty and insurance.

Will definitely be checking out all of the cool phones that release around the end of the year towards next summer.

Same at AT&T.
    Primary line can upgrade yearly - Other ones are 2 years.
    I heard that isn't the case for iPhone users.
    06-12-10 10:02 AM
    I'm the primary on my 9530 and I've had to wait the standard 1.5 years???
    06-12-10 10:08 AM
    Nope, its 20 months.

The primary above 49.99 gets to upgrade every 12 months. You forego your NE2 credit when you upgrade early and you pay a 20 dollar processing fee. Some customers get the fee waived if you were the target of a marketing campaign to get you to upgrade early.

That answers every part of this question.
    06-12-10 10:35 AM

I heard that isn't the case for iPhone users.
    Can't say for the iPhone.
    06-12-10 10:40 AM
    The way it works is, if you wait 20 or 22 months, you get the NE2, which allows you to get a phone at a discounted price and have $100 applied to that phone...if you do a one year upgrade, the amount is higher and without the NE2 $$ put toward the phone. I think they said if i wanted the 9650, at the 1 year upgrade price, it would be $249...
    06-12-10 10:42 AM
    The way it works is, if you wait 20 or 22 months, you get the NE2, which allows you to get a phone at a discounted price and have $100 applied to that phone...if you do a one year upgrade, the amount is higher and without the NE2 $$ put toward the phone. I think they said if i wanted the 9650, at the 1 year upgrade price, it would be $249...
    So basically we have to wait until the time our contract expires to get a discount on our new phones? It depends. I don't mind paying that much for a phone I know I'll like.

Oh, and since I signed up with Verizon in January and had no credit score (I'm 18), I had to put down a $400 deposit. I get that deposit back around the end of the year as long as I keep paying my bills on time.
    06-12-10 11:04 AM
    Upgraded from 9630 to 9650 two months early (10 months) and they were very nice about it! Had to do it in the store, not available online!
    06-12-10 07:17 PM
    Keep in mind the NE2 has since been 'nerfed' to ****. You now get $30 off a new phone if you have a $34.99-79 / month plan, and $50 if your plan is over $79. All the more reason to just get a new phone every year and forgo the NE2 discount.
    06-12-10 09:28 PM
    I just added a line when I upgraded my plan(upgraded from single line to a family plan) to get the incredible.I only had Blackberry a year.I only have the new every 2 years but I still got a discount did it online.Discount was 100.00 .
    06-13-10 11:52 AM
    Keep in mind the NE2 has since been 'nerfed' to ****. You now get $30 off a new phone if you have a $34.99-79 / month plan, and $50 if your plan is over $79. All the more reason to just get a new phone every year and forgo the NE2 discount.
    Now that the NE2 has dropped to an accessory freebie, because that's about all $30-$50 off will get you these days, I was interested in jumping on an online promotion from the Android Central store for a Droid upgrade. The price was only $20. But when I went into the Verizon Store, the price was $149 plus $20 processing fee. So, I am missing $149 here in pricing and I am trying to figure out why. I checked out Wirefly, another online seller, and came to same pricing, but when I called them about the upgrade, they told me that those prices are only for the 20 month minimum. Still significantly less than what the Verizon store charges, but I asked them about the annual upgrade, and they told me they would need to check with Verizon. So, that brings me to the question...

• Does the annual upgrade only apply to purchases made directly with Verizon?

It makes sense, so you can't get the phone for a steal. But considering that the new Droid is coming out in a few weeks by most blog reports that I have read and that a lot of newer Droid devices are on the market now for Verizon, the low price did make sense.
    06-28-10 11:59 PM
    But I dont think this discount works online. Am I wrong?
    06-29-10 06:13 PM
    But I dont think this discount works online. Am I wrong?
    I don't think so, but I don't see why you can't call Verizon and have them give you a credit to your account for the NE2. Since you're signing a new 2 year agreement they should honor your discount.
    06-29-10 11:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD