01-01-11 10:11 PM
122 ... 345
tools
    what would you call the 8830WE's GPS problem?

GPS now unlock for Verizon BlackBerry 8130 and 8330 (BlackBerry Bytes) | BlackBerry Cool

The curve and pearl got 'unlocked', but what about this 8830. You know..the one where people actually filed a class action lawsuit. Admittedly it seems the lawsuit is going nowhere. The 8830 will be retired and obsolete by the time it goes to trial. But that said, we're these phones GPS's not actually locked? or was every single user not intelligent enough to learn how to enable it.
    03-30-09 04:45 PM
    what would you call the 8830WE's GPS problem?

GPS now unlock for Verizon BlackBerry 8130 and 8330 (BlackBerry Bytes) | BlackBerry Cool

The curve and pearl got 'unlocked', but what about this 8830. You know..the one where people actually filed a class action lawsuit. Admittedly it seems the lawsuit is going nowhere. The 8830 will be retired and obsolete by the time it goes to trial. But that said, we're these phones GPS's not actually locked? or was every single user not intelligent enough to learn how to enable it.
    One thing I learned about the phone enthusiast sites is they usually don't know the technical aspects of telephony any better than the average convenience store clerk. For BlackBerryCool.com, the use of the term "unlocked" is more of a semantics issue than anything else.

As for the 8830, I hear you - but it isn't a lock/unlock thing. It is an OS/BBM version thing. OS4.5 got access because of a new, lighter-weight version of BBM, designed with VZW input for network security & database access. Unfortunately, there is no 4.5 release scheduled for the 8830 because, as you mentioned, it is an end-of-life device. Sure, you can get a Bell or USCellular OS & run it, but it doesn't include the newer VZW coding for BBM, so it still won't give you GPS on your 8830.

I've also heard that the 8830 has an older chip in it that won't support the newer BBM version.

All is not lost though. Unconfirmed word is that the new Niagara-based BlackBerry will have an updated version of the GPS chip found in the Storm, so you should be able to do it all.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-30-09 05:03 PM
    So did I miss the part on how 2 tether for free?

03-30-09 10:48 PM
    So did I miss the part on how 2 tether for free?
    Unfortunately, you did. But that is because there is no way.

03-30-09 10:50 PM
    LOL isnt the whole point of crackberry, along with other hack and modd forums to get services for free. if you haven't realized that yet, then take a look at crackberry's homepage. People wouldn't try to hack or modd their phones if they wanted to use services according to terms and conditions.
    Really? And here I thought Crackberry had a software store so they could make money.

How I missed that it was actually about stealing things instead of getting more functionality and enjoyment from your device I'll never know.
    03-31-09 01:05 AM
    Really? And here I thought Crackberry had a software store so they could make money.

How I missed that it was actually about stealing things instead of getting more functionality and enjoyment from your device I'll never know.
    And, believe it or not, a few sites (CB is one) are those that carrier reps recommend for new users. If CB was setup to encourage hacking & violating the TOS, I'd think it would be blacklisted.

Instead, we have carrier reps helping out here from work.

Maybe a few people need to search for hacking sites & not spend their time hanging out on respectable ones.

03-31-09 01:18 AM
    and there was me thinking i was the only one outraged that CB was inducing BB users to commit crimes... CB and the media were all singing the praises of tetherberry...all the while tetherberry customers are getting $KKK bills.

and quote TB site "all with no tethering charges from tetherberry.com" Dont it make ya puke?

03-31-09 10:47 AM
    Wow this turned into a battle of ego's. My one question is have any of the devs of users purchased the rights to any of the leaked OS? Talk about stealing! My point is that Crackberry is a test, develop, and help site. If we did not tweak or mod RIM and verizon would not learn or adjust to the consumers current needs. This is just my opinion and please don't flame me for it.

03-31-09 11:42 AM
    This thread is like the Energizer Bunny.
    03-31-09 11:44 AM
    yeah, the Energizer Bunny with ADD
    03-31-09 12:13 PM
    lol,

i dont think rim or vz need to see "farting applications" in order to recognise user trends..lol

me?..i dont screw with my os or add stupid apps...i dont have time to try to recover my phones functionality... but then again my phone is important and i am not a tweakgeek.

Wow this turned into a battle of ego's. My one question is have any of the devs of users purchased the rights to any of the leaked OS? Talk about stealing! My point is that Crackberry is a test, develop, and help site. If we did not tweak or mod RIM and verizon would not learn or adjust to the consumers current needs. This is just my opinion and please don't flame me for it.

03-31-09 02:14 PM
    QUICK! GET OUT THE MARSHMALLOWS AS THE FLAMES ARE A-COMIN'!

Actually, nothing objectionable there at all.

We tweak, customize, add apps, try others & delete more than our share. There are those who listen to music, others who paint their phones, some who cover them and still others who run around with naked Berrys. Some sleep with theirs, while others have tested the swimming prowess of their phones by attempting to flush them.

So yes - this site is full of "modders" as it should be. Any BlackBerry or WinMo or Palm owner is missing out if they don't take advantage of the configurability of their devices. Even the iPhone user can benefit from this. There are no restrictions on your device, save for the occasional warranty disclaimer (more than occasional on iPhone - sneeze & your iPhone warranty is voided).

But we do have a responsibility to use our devices within the agreed upon service parameters. Just because I own a Corvette doesn't make it okay to drive 200MPH in school zones; my 4X4 can't be used to plow through the Grand Canyon & my .45 shouldn't be used in crowded environments (except maybe the DNC). Just because it can be done doesn't mean it should be done, especially when doing so has consequences.

We can hem & haw, piss & moan about what we can't do - but breaking the rules will not change it. Market pressures can and do change it. If you don't like the conditions/provisions a company has, don't sign with them. After you do sign, you have nothing to argue within those terms/provisions, because you agreed to them.

If you go to a restaurant, agree with the wait-staff that you want chicken, then right before it come, you tell them you really wanted fish, then when the fish comes, you say you want a burger, odds are someone spit in your food by the time you decide to eat what you agreed to.

I know mobile service and agreements really have nothing to do with restaurants. My analogy is a stretch... but if you break use terms with a carrier, while they won't spit in your food, they might pee in your Wheaties.

03-31-09 03:01 PM
    So exactly what would it take for one to go over 5GB a month? IM not sure how data is transmitted, but a lot of said that it would be A LOT to get to that limit. I used the Tetherberry Ap for half a month. Mostly at 1 hour a day. And because of threads like these, I immediatly stopped and got a refund from the company. Good choice?
    03-31-09 07:55 PM
    So exactly what would it take for one to go over 5GB a month? IM not sure how data is transmitted, but a lot of said that it would be A LOT to get to that limit. I used the Tetherberry Ap for half a month. Mostly at 1 hour a day. And because of threads like these, I immediatly stopped and got a refund from the company. Good choice?
    Anymore, I blow through 5GB easily, just on my BlackBerry. This usually is of no concern, as it is all BlackBerry usage. Tethering is where you get hit on the limit.

If I can do in on BlackBerry, its a lot easier to do it while tethering.

03-31-09 08:01 PM
    Anymore, I blow through 5GB easily, just on my BlackBerry. This usually is of no concern, as it is all BlackBerry usage. Tethering is where you get hit on the limit.

If I can do in on BlackBerry, its a lot easier to do it while tethering.

I see, but for normal browsing without downloading anything major? Im not worried about it. They wouldve tried to get at me already if it was a big deal. But since it just doesnt seem right, I got a refund from Tetherberry and deleted the AP. I knew something was weird.
    03-31-09 08:05 PM
    I see, but for normal browsing without downloading anything major? Im not worried about it. They wouldve tried to get at me already if it was a big deal. But since it just doesnt seem right, I got a refund from Tetherberry and deleted the AP. I knew something was weird.
    Normal BlackBerry browsing, without the music station apps, you'll never hit it. You could hit it with flash/images in sites using a laptop picking up pages not optimized for mobile viewing.

I do a huge amount of images/MSOffice-type files, which causes me to redline data each month.

03-31-09 08:40 PM
    So exactly what would it take for one to go over 5GB a month?
    Generally we see those who spend hours on Youtube and downloading large music files going over, but in general, we don't see a lot of overages period.
    04-01-09 10:28 AM
    QUICK! GET OUT THE MARSHMALLOWS AS THE FLAMES ARE A-COMIN'!

Actually, nothing objectionable there at all.

We tweak, customize, add apps, try others & delete more than our share. There are those who listen to music, others who paint their phones, some who cover them and still others who run around with naked Berrys. Some sleep with theirs, while others have tested the swimming prowess of their phones by attempting to flush them.

So yes - this site is full of "modders" as it should be. Any BlackBerry or WinMo or Palm owner is missing out if they don't take advantage of the configurability of their devices. Even the iPhone user can benefit from this. There are no restrictions on your device, save for the occasional warranty disclaimer (more than occasional on iPhone - sneeze & your iPhone warranty is voided).

But we do have a responsibility to use our devices within the agreed upon service parameters. Just because I own a Corvette doesn't make it okay to drive 200MPH in school zones; my 4X4 can't be used to plow through the Grand Canyon & my .45 shouldn't be used in crowded environments (except maybe the DNC). Just because it can be done doesn't mean it should be done, especially when doing so has consequences.

We can hem & haw, piss & moan about what we can't do - but breaking the rules will not change it. Market pressures can and do change it. If you don't like the conditions/provisions a company has, don't sign with them. After you do sign, you have nothing to argue within those terms/provisions, because you agreed to them.

If you go to a restaurant, agree with the wait-staff that you want chicken, then right before it come, you tell them you really wanted fish, then when the fish comes, you say you want a burger, odds are someone spit in your food by the time you decide to eat what you agreed to.

I know mobile service and agreements really have nothing to do with restaurants. My analogy is a stretch... but if you break use terms with a carrier, while they won't spit in your food, they might pee in your Wheaties.

I completely agree with you and did not express so in my post.
    04-01-09 07:36 PM
    so at the end of all this arguing, tetherberry or pdanet does work right?
    If I paid for this app and connected it, I would not have to pay an additional fee to my carrier to access the internet on my laptop?
    I would just risk breaching my contract.
    12-02-10 09:03 AM
    so at the end of all this arguing, tetherberry or pdanet does work right?
    If I paid for this app and connected it, I would not have to pay an additional fee to my carrier to access the internet on my laptop?
    I would just risk breaching my contract.
    That is correct.
    12-02-10 10:59 AM
    I love how I only have to pay 7.50 a month more for my tethering on my BlackBerry. Wonder how much the BES users get it here... maybe free!

However the point is, if I did work at a phone company I would carefully minitor the usage, and if something seemed even remotely suspicious, I would send out a fine.

Heck, if I got a say in policies, tethering your Berry without the correct plan would result in a 750 TRILLION (think 750 million million million) fine. Why? Because then you'd have to pay up everything you own, and then some. The money from the fine could then be used to make services cheaper.

Just be glad I don't have that power, theif. I don't even use Slacker, iHeartRadio etc on the GPRS/EDGE/3G networks. I do use TuneWiki, but I only listen to stations when I'm connected to WiFi so as to not detriment the O2-UK services (even though I would like to after getting banned from one of their stores, but I can't afford the inevitable 500k fine that I would get from them, plus a 500 ETF despite being on a 30-day rolling contract that costs me 15/mth that I have used since April).

Pay the tethering add-on, or don't tether. It is simple. Don't like the price? Move to the UK where you can get it cheaper (which surprises me because EVERYTHING in the UK is supposed to be more expensive). When I get my playbook, I will tether a little, but only to view emails/BBMs/whatever else from my phone, from my tablet for the 7". All I am doing there is using what is already on the BlackBerry, which I wouldn't say is stealing, but it is open to debate.
    01-01-11 08:20 PM
    Or get Tether app

01-01-11 10:11 PM
122 ... 345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD