01-01-11 09:11 PM
122 ... 2345
tools
    This is an awful way to track expenses. I can't imagine any SOX audited corporation utilizing this since there is no accountability.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    There's a federal per diem rate, which is deductible by the employer and not taxable to the employee. There's a cap on it all, so you can't go too crazy with it.

Still, it doesn't really relate to the topic of tethering, for which there is no per diem allowance and no amount you're specifically permitted to tether before you have to start paying. It's a lovely idea, but it only works if the carrier permits it.

Along the same token, I am a tax accountant at a public firm. We are working our tails off at the moment, and periodically I take breaks to do fun things like participate in flame wars on Crackberry. Per the OP's logic, I should be able to charge my $80/hour rate to a client for the 10-15 minutes I spent surfing the Net and not working on their return. How is that not thievery, you ask? Why, because I am working so very hard, and it's not fair that I have to be stuck in the office 12-14 hours a day, and what's an extra $20 on top of what they'll be paying the firm anyway?

But I don't do it, because it is cheating, it is wrong, and it is just plain childish, selfish behavior. If you're okay with that mentality, fine, but stop making excuses. It is what it is.
    03-26-09 02:44 PM
    is verizon required to store all SMS? I say it doesn't cost them anything because it doesn't affect network traffic at all. SMS piggybacks off other signals, which is why they are limited to 160 characters, specifically so they don't bog down their network. Yes, supporting SMS costs them money, but the difference between 100,000 SMS and 100,000,000 SMS is next to nothing.
    Excuse me?
    Next to nothing?
    Do you work for AIG?

Your definition of next to nothing seems to imply that you do work for AIG spending our tax dollars...
    03-26-09 02:58 PM
    Excuse me?
    Next to nothing?
    Do you work for AIG?

Your definition of next to nothing seems to imply that you do work for AIG spending our tax dollars...
    LoL, no sorry, don't work for AIG

As for your billing rate for your work, some companies do fixed prices. One of my friend's law firms handles bankruptcy work.

They have such a large volume that they simply say okay doing 'task x' will take __ hours, doing 'task y' will take __ hours. the advantages go both ways. for the firm, if the workers can get more efficient and say, crank out these tasks in less time, then they can do more and make more money. the customer on the other hand doesn't have to worry about them washing money because they know each task costs a fixed amount of money, so they dont have to make sure they arent spending 6 hours to review something that should only take them 1-2 hours.

this is also something both parties agree on. theres no scamming, its just getting a fixed price for a certain task.

as for the SMS thing, here is a little read about it.

The True Cost of SMS Mike My Words - from the brain of Mike McDowell

i highly doubt the cost to send a text message has DOUBLED in the last couple of years, warranting Verizon and the rest to double the cost to send a text message.
    Last edited by snork; 03-26-09 at 04:29 PM.
    03-26-09 04:26 PM
    as for the SMS thing, here is a little read about it.

The True Cost of SMS Mike My Words - from the brain of Mike McDowell

i highly doubt the cost to send a text message has DOUBLED in the last couple of years, warranting Verizon and the rest to double the cost to send a text message.
    You know, that is a very true, but overly simplistic blog piece on SMS. Being overly simplistic doesn't invalidate it, however and, I do agree with it. The problem I have with it is three-fold in the omissions.

1) It leaves out the infrastructure cost. Admittedly, this is minimal, but support adds to the costs - again, minimally.

2) It left out inter-connect charges. Now to be honest, these charges go both ways. VZW has to pay AT&T for a message sent from VZW to AT&T, but then again, AT&T has to pay VZW for messages the other way, too. While I don't know the agreements, the net costs of these charges are probably also minimal.

3) That piece mentions that text messaging fees have doubled, but fails to mention that plan prices have remained virtually static. Most people who text buy a messaging package and have not seen an increase - only those who occasionally text without a plan have seen increases.

Don't misunderstand me - I think that after paying for voice, then paying for data, we should get text messages for free.

So why do the carriers charge for texting? Because they can. Even with increased costs, more and more people are texting. It is basic supply & demand. If tomorrow people stopped texting and started canceling plans, the prices would drop. But they continue to text & pay, so there is no incentive to cut prices. And, as long as AT&T charges for them, VZW will charge for them & Sprint will charge for them and so on.

Something else may be at play here. Text messaging may be subsidizing another service or paying for expanded infrastructure. Accounting trickery, maybe, but something that is in use in most businesses.

The cost of that fountain drink at the convenience store? About 22 cents, most of which is cup, lid & straw. So why are you paying $1.39 for your bladder-buster? Because they make less than 10 points on the gas & cigaretted they sell. The drinks subsidize the gas & smokes. New car dealers make next to nothing on the purchase of the car. Where they make money is in addons & the service later. I dicker my car down to where the dealer's gross margin is about 5% or less. After paying sales commissions, insurance, interest, PACs & the lights, there isn't enough left to stay in business. I can negotiate the purchase price, but there is no negotiation at the service lanes. If local telcos weren't allowed to rape businesses, they wouldn't offer you local service at $10-$15/month. One subsidizes another.

It is pretty simple - you as the consumer hold the ultimate weapon and that is your wallet. If you don't like the service or the cost, go elsewhere. Just be prepared to make concessions on other things in the process.

03-26-09 07:02 PM
    i've never used tetherberry, but there's another guy on this forum who's freaking out over a $3000 charge verizon's got on him because he was tethering. eep.
    03-26-09 07:41 PM
    Sounds like a good way to get busted for using tetherberry without even having the convenience of the program.
    03-26-09 11:58 PM
    As long as verizon screws its customers, I'll find ways around taking advantage of their network. They never offer decent promotions comperable to other companies... No free incoming calls, no free incoming text messages, no night and weekends at 7, no decent international text messaging - $.20/send & $.25 to receive, even with an unlimited texting plan. Their network is all they have... but they're greedy sons of b**ches, so f**k them.
    I have to say, despite them not offering some of the crazier promotions like sprint and t-mobile, Verizon's pricing is very reasonable comparatively. I compared comparable plans from other networks to VZWs, and the only provider that could have given me a cheaper rate was T-Mobile, and it was only a ~$5 difference. I suppose if my usage were different the results differ, but aside from a few services like tethering and vznavigator, im ok with what they charge.

Also does anyone know why tethering for BIS users $15 more per month than BES users? I know with an Access Card VZW charges $60/month, but I shouldn't be penalized for not needing BES services and wanting to tether. (if i did want to)
    03-27-09 08:27 AM
    I have to say, despite them not offering some of the crazier promotions like sprint and t-mobile, Verizon's pricing is very reasonable comparatively. I compared comparable plans from other networks to VZWs, and the only provider that could have given me a cheaper rate was T-Mobile, and it was only a ~$5 difference. I suppose if my usage were different the results differ, but aside from a few services like tethering and vznavigator, im ok with what they charge.

Also does anyone know why tethering for BIS users $15 more per month than BES users? I know with an Access Card VZW charges $60/month, but I shouldn't be penalized for not needing BES services and wanting to tether. (if i did want to)
    tethering for BIS and BES users is $15/month more because of enterprise server and corporate email (i.e. your_address(at)yourdomain.com). if you don't use either of those then you need to be on the $30 plan. most reps "selectively forget" due to a higher commission rate and 9/10 times the customer never catches it

ok, secondly, i just gave you a way to tether for free, and no verizon never realizes it. ive worked for them for 4 yrs in upper management and verizon just assumes it is browising on your phone or 3rd party apps. But believe what you want, VaToThe0, however it's not tetherberry. all BB Access Connect does is change the NAI Tethered input and Password in your phone... basically like downloading VZ Navigator for 1 day. the app remains on your phone, however the license input is different than if you were to purchase it monthly for $10. the app doesn't change, just the license for the app. same with access connect. obviously, you've never cracked or hacked any phone before otherwise you'd know this. same way you're able to use bitpim to make any subscription app free on a non pda phone. verizon never knows the difference because you're phone has the correct license or permssion to use that app on the network. if anyone else chooses to think without knowig the facts, please PM me and i will be more than happy to break it down and explain it further. However, DO NOT post your opinion based reasoning without knowing any facts about hacking/modding phones along with extensive and in depth knowledge of Verizon's network. Ultimately all you're doing is making it more difficult or amateur and novice users by mis-informing them.
    03-27-09 10:42 PM
    I highly doubt you work for VzW in upper management. If you do, I do not understand why you would post how to do it and then say that Verizon will never find out.
    03-27-09 10:48 PM
    tethering for BIS and BES users is $15/month more because of enterprise server and corporate email (i.e. your_address(at)yourdomain.com). if you don't use either of those then you need to be on the $30 plan. most reps "selectively forget" due to a higher commission rate and 9/10 times the customer never catches it
    Above is also wrong, BIS plans are $30 per month. BES Plan are only $15. Also the statement about not using either is not an option for VZW. It is one or the other. For regular phones that want to tether, it is 59.99 per month.
    Last edited by lastraid; 03-27-09 at 10:54 PM.
    03-27-09 10:52 PM

ok, secondly, i just gave you a way to tether for free, and no verizon never realizes it. ive worked for them for 4 yrs in upper management and verizon just assumes it is browising on your phone or 3rd party apps. But believe what you want, VaToThe0, however it's not tetherberry. all BB Access Connect does is change the NAI Tethered input and Password in your phone... basically like downloading VZ Navigator for 1 day. the app remains on your phone, however the license input is different than if you were to purchase it monthly for $10. the app doesn't change, just the license for the app. same with access connect. obviously, you've never cracked or hacked any phone before otherwise you'd know this. same way you're able to use bitpim to make any subscription app free on a non pda phone. verizon never knows the difference because you're phone has the correct license or permssion to use that app on the network. if anyone else chooses to think without knowig the facts, please PM me and i will be more than happy to break it down and explain it further. However, DO NOT post your opinion based reasoning without knowing any facts about hacking/modding phones along with extensive and in depth knowledge of Verizon's network. Ultimately all you're doing is making it more difficult or amateur and novice users by mis-informing them.
    Yeah. Sorry I'm not as well versed in theft as you.
    You win.

03-27-09 11:07 PM
    I highly doubt you work for VzW in upper management. If you do, I do not understand why you would post how to do it and then say that Verizon will never find out.
    I understand completely. I've witnessed a lot of worthless thieves & liars in my day. Their character is worth less than the paper I flush.
    You win.
    I second your sentiment.

03-28-09 01:31 AM

Oh my gosh...It's V...
    03-28-09 02:04 AM
    Ok I haven't read the whole thread, just bits of it so not sure if someone
    has mentioned this or not. But right now Verizon is offering tethering for
    free for 30 days. It is only for 30 days, and then after that if you decide
    to keep it, they prorate the 59.99 fee against what ever your current data
    package is. So say you are on the 29.99 email and web data package your
    tethering would then cost you 30. a month.
    So in the long run it is not free but you could try it for free for 30 days
    and then decide to cancel it. There are no fees for canceling and it
    does not affect your contract to make feature changes.
    If you do decide to use it, you will need to load your VZ Access Manager
    disk onto what ever comp you will be tethering to. When you buy
    devices from Verizon that are capable of tethering you get that disk
    with your phone in the box.
    03-28-09 02:46 AM
    When you buy
    devices from Verizon that are capable of tethering you get that disk with your phone in the box.
    Or you can download it from them directly.

03-28-09 04:28 AM
    Or you can download it from them directly.

So so so true.

For thos that enjoy tethering or need to update software that came with their phone, can Download it at - VZAM.NET
    03-28-09 08:13 AM
    Does anyone know how to get a discount when purchasing a storm? I want to purchase storm but, not use verizon service...

Also, is Verizon service good?

Thanks!
    03-28-09 09:22 PM
    You win.

LOL isnt the whole point of crackberry, along with other hack and modd forums to get services for free. if you haven't realized that yet, then take a look at crackberry's homepage. People wouldn't try to hack or modd their phones if they wanted to use services according to terms and conditions.
    03-29-09 02:09 PM
    maybe you should go read the bottom of the post you're referring to. just because i work in upper management doesn't mean i agree how verizon practices business. a job's a job... majority of the nation works in either a job they don't like or for a company that they don't agree with. don't tell me you don't disagree with some of the ethics the company you work for practices. why wouldn't i post verizon would never find out... it's true so why not let other ppl know about it? I'm all about sharing LOL you obviously have verizon... don't tell me you haven't noticed how badly verizon cripples the software of every phone they get. on the blackberry alone, they disable blackberry maps and gps... two very important features to most BlackBerry users.

If you wanna use the information i gave, then use it. If you don't, then don't. this thread is about how to tether for free. if you don't like the correct answer to the question, then don't read the thread... simple as that. You obviously knew what the thread was about before you clicked on it, so quit tryin to bust my balls.

Be thankful i even gave the answer at all... cause if i'm not mistaken, NO ONE else has come up with a way to tether for free on blackberries without buying a third party app that you have to pay for. Trust me, i searched a lot of hack modd sites in the past yr and no one has come up with a crack for it yet. So how bout a simple thanks, instead of the third degree.
    03-29-09 02:21 PM
    LOL you obviously have verizon... don't tell me you haven't noticed how badly verizon cripples the software of every phone they get. on the blackberry alone, they disable blackberry maps and gps... two very important features to most BlackBerry users.
    Proof positive you don't work for Verizon.

Maybe you meant upper management @ McDonald's? Team/shift leaders there like to think of themselves as "upper management." Or possibly you manage a landscaping crew? How about front office @ the local daycare?

BBMaps is NOT crippled and there is no way to selectively "lock" the aGPS chip in the BlackBerry. It is either on or it is off.

03-29-09 03:17 PM
    maybe you should go read the bottom of the post you're referring to. just because i work in upper management doesn't mean i agree how verizon practices business. a job's a job... majority of the nation works in either a job they don't like or for a company that they don't agree with. don't tell me you don't disagree with some of the ethics the company you work for practices. why wouldn't i post verizon would never find out... it's true so why not let other ppl know about it? I'm all about sharing LOL you obviously have verizon... don't tell me you haven't noticed how badly verizon cripples the software of every phone they get. on the blackberry alone, they disable blackberry maps and gps... two very important features to most BlackBerry users.

If you wanna use the information i gave, then use it. If you don't, then don't. this thread is about how to tether for free. if you don't like the correct answer to the question, then don't read the thread... simple as that. You obviously knew what the thread was about before you clicked on it, so quit tryin to bust my balls.

Be thankful i even gave the answer at all... cause if i'm not mistaken, NO ONE else has come up with a way to tether for free on blackberries without buying a third party app that you have to pay for. Trust me, i searched a lot of hack modd sites in the past yr and no one has come up with a crack for it yet. So how bout a simple thanks, instead of the third degree.
    I not only have Verizon, they're my employer. I would like some proof you work for VzW. You can PM me your USWIN ID and I'll look you up in outlook.. somehow I doubt I'll get a PM. You don't even give accurate information regarding blackberries and GPS. You just spit out what you read on the internet.
    03-30-09 02:09 PM
    You just spit out what you read on the internet.
    The same type who throws a fit because they can't "Google" while talking on the phone?

Without that Google crap, they know nothing. And, without GPS, they can't remember where they live or even what town they're in.

And we wonder what's wrong with America.

03-30-09 02:40 PM
    What did we ever do without GPS and google? How did anyone know anything?!
    03-30-09 02:54 PM
    What did we ever do without GPS and google? How did anyone know anything?!
    No kidding. Of course, I generally only use GPS as a backup with new addresses. Keeps me from driving past an address. Otherwise, I go by my area knowledge & first use map books - GPS mapping is too often wrong.

And, as for Google, that privacy-breaching trash is blocked from everything I control. Even Google ads are blocked from work & home networks.

But I still see the type, cahtting & searching and I can hear them on the phone - tap tap tap... they want whomever they are talking with to think they are smart.

Now you know why they hem & haw on the phone.

03-30-09 03:32 PM
    I love google. I don't know why you hate it so much
    03-30-09 03:36 PM
122 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD