01-01-11 09:11 PM
122 123 ...
tools
    Well, is there a way to tether this phone (8330) for free?
    I have unlimited minutes and data and in all honesty don't think it is fair that verizon charges extra to tether. ****, my phone bill is already $180 a month (I have nav too) and would like the to be able to connect my lap top on occasion when I am on the road even if it is a slow 56k
    Last edited by d6racer; 03-21-09 at 06:30 PM.
    03-21-09 05:49 PM
    Do a search for tetherberry
    03-21-09 06:10 PM
    Yes, but is it totally free for Verizon customers? From what I have searched, some apps verizon still blocks out or charges you.
    03-21-09 06:30 PM
    Yes, but is it totally free for Verizon customers? From what I have searched, some apps verizon still blocks out or charges you.
    Not this one. Tetherberry is pretty sweet! I beta-tested it, and it worked great! I just haven't found a reason to justify paying the (very reasonable, IMO) price.
    03-21-09 06:46 PM
    $60 although a little more then I want to spend, yes is a lot more reasonable then what VZW wants to charge monthly considering that I am already paying for a Data plan. Basically the very little I would use it for is to occasionally print up work orders while on the road and still will never reach the 5mb soft cap. ****, I will use more data transfer with apps that are "allowed" then I will ever use with tethering especially considering that I have high speed at home, if I stay in a hotel they all offer wifi, and I hook high speed up for a living. If all of that fails, I can pull in to almost any hotel parking lot.
    03-21-09 07:00 PM
    $60 although a little more then I want to spend, yes is a lot more reasonable then what VZW wants to charge monthly considering that I am already paying for a Data plan. Basically the very little I would use it for is to occasionally print up work orders while on the road and still will never reach the 5mb soft cap. ****, I will use more data transfer with apps that are "allowed" then I will ever use with tethering especially considering that I have high speed at home, if I stay in a hotel they all offer wifi, and I hook high speed up for a living. If all of that fails, I can pull in to almost any hotel parking lot.
    WAA WAA WAA. Data plan is for the internal browser only. Now lets say all carriers decide to get rid of tethering, then you will be forced to buy an aircard or usb modem.

With this in mind you will pay for another piece of equipment, get another line of service with a two year contract, and pay 59.99 per month. The way it is now depending on the plan you have, it is $15 or $30 per month, this equals the cost of the other option.

Yes you can use tetherberry, but do not be surprised if VZW will in future start to throttle your speeds that will affect your internal browser as well, when they see all these Blackberrys going over a reasonable amount of data each month. Now this may or may not be 5GB. Yes internal is unlimited, but slow speed is another thing.

Use to be done this way with aircards, as streaming was against your TOS and slowed the network which affects all users. Before the 5GB plans, VZW would throttle your speeds down to crawl, so streaming would not work or be worth your time. Now with 5GB plans, they charge .25 per MB over 5 GB, do the math HUGE bills.

Disclaimer: no hard info at this time that VZW will throttle speeds for users of tehtherberry, but the option is there.
    03-21-09 08:00 PM
    Tetherberry sucks anyway - proxy servers slow speeds considerably. Then there is the possibility the proxy is skimming off your personal info, including passwords & logins.

I posted a little story somewhere here in the past day of so about a guy whose service was terminated on AT&T for using it. I am sure it wouldn't be a stretch to say VZW would do the same if detected.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-21-09 08:04 PM
    Tetherberry sucks anyway - proxy servers slow speeds considerably. Then there is the possibility the proxy is skimming off your personal info, including passwords & logins.

I posted a little story somewhere here in the past day of so about a guy whose service was terminated on AT&T for using it. I am sure it wouldn't be a stretch to say VZW would do the same if detected.

I will agree, this might be another option as well, but not one that would be freely. There would be warning, throttling, or whatever, turning off service would be a last resort.

Remeber, it is really hard to get 5GB of data with an internal browser. Not really hard to detect if a phone is hitting that plus every month.

DISCLAIMER AGAIN: I know the staeement above will confuse some, internal browser has unlim data - 5GB is just an example.
    Last edited by lastraid; 03-21-09 at 10:27 PM.
    03-21-09 08:13 PM
    And, for those who think they can watch it & be careful - think of protocols that are not usable on a BlackBerry - flash, certain video types, etc., not to mention browser ID.

Can you run Firefox, Outlook or IE on your BlackBerry? How about Windows? All of these apps have unique signatures transmitted across networks. Don't forget that while Tetherberry & PDANet run your traffic through a proxy, it first has to connect through your carrier's network & switches.

I could write a script to detect these things and telco data switches already have this type of detection built in. Your usage will be flagged.

03-21-09 09:03 PM

If they terminate your contract they can not come after you for noncompletion so I suppose that is unlikely as they were the one to break it.

Throttling back is a possibility if you go over your 5gb soft cap
    (not too worried about that as it would be rare that I would use it)

Have not seen anywhere in TOS where running these programs is against TOS, but I could be wrong and would have to check over it again.

As far as the morality lesson goes, don't really need it as I suppose your morality and mine do not match on this.
    03-21-09 10:19 PM
    If they terminate your contract they can not come after you for noncompletion so I suppose that is unlikely as they were the one to break it.

Have not seen anywhere in TOS where running these programs is against TOS, but I could be wrong and would have to check over it again.

As far as the morality lesson goes, don't really need it as I suppose your morality and mine do not match on this.
    Well if your computer has WIFI built in then I guess that would be an option as some around here thing WIFI is the best thing going
    03-21-09 10:28 PM
    Well if your computer has WIFI built in then I guess that would be an option as some around here thing WIFI is the best thing going

Yeah, it is a laptop.

However, sometimes finding a hot spot is not simple.
    I go to remote locations for work and I am in a lot of small towns (not even a McDonalds type town) Occasionally it would be nice to be able to pull up and print work orders. Not worth the $30 a month VZW wants to charge me for tethering.

If I actually want to spend time on the computer, I will go home, be at a hotel, or sitting in a hot spot (there are enough free ones out there).
    03-21-09 10:47 PM
    Yeah, it is a laptop.

However, sometimes finding a hot spot is not simple.
    I go to remote locations for work and I am in a lot of small towns (not even a McDonalds type town) Occasionally it would be nice to be able to pull up and print work orders. Not worth the $30 a month VZW wants to charge me for tethering.

If I actually want to spend time on the computer, I will go home, be at a hotel, or sitting in a hot spot (there are enough free ones out there).
    Keep in mind that the tethering option is feature and not part of the price plan. This means that you can have it added and removed as needed. This will save money and it is pro-rated for the days on your account.
    03-21-09 10:49 PM
    If I was going to go through that much trouble, I would just keep it.
    03-21-09 10:54 PM

Yes THEY CAN...

Early Termination Fees

Except as explicitly permitted by this agreement, you're agreeing to maintain
    service with us for your minimum term. (Periods of suspension of service don't
    count towards your minimum term.) After that, you'll become a month-to-month
    customer under this agreement. YOU MUST PAY US UP TO $175 PER WIRELESS PHONE
    NUMBER AS AN EARLY TERMINATION FEE IF YOU CHOOSE TO END YOUR SERVICE BEFORE
    BECOMING A MONTH-TO-MONTH CUSTOMER, OR IF WE TERMINATE IT EARLY FOR GOOD CAUSE.
    (This fee applies only to the extent permitted by law. If you buy your wireless
    phone from an agent or third-party vendor, you should check to see if they charge
    a separate termination fee.) If you terminate your service as of the end of
    your minimum term, you won't be responsible for any remaining part of your monthly
    billing cycle. Otherwise, all terminations by you during a monthly billing
    cycle become effective on the last day of that billing cycle. You'll remain
    responsible for all fees and charges incurred until then and won't be entitled
    to any partial month credits or refunds.

Read the contract...
    Verizon Wireless | Telenforcers
    03-21-09 11:08 PM
    Thank you, DIA. These people think they can do as they please and to **** with what it does to the rates & service for the rest of us.

I am just stealing a little bit of food - the store will never miss it

They sure do miss it & roll the costs into the prices they charge the honest people.

Of course, many of them were not raised with morals or any concept of integrity, the two most important things one can have in life. Their creditworthiness is probably also very suspect.

The really sad thing is, when they get caught, and they will get caught, they will be back here screaming how the carrier was so evil & such a ripoff. Pretty much like the guy who approached one of my employees the other day about what AT&T "did to me."

You know, I've handed out probably hundreds of pink slips over the years, yet I never fired anyone. Each of them fired themselves. Yet most of them blame me for their poor choices.

03-21-09 11:16 PM
    So I bought a bunch of stuff from Best Buy the other day. I walked out and noticed the lady forgot to charge me for one of my games.. I went back to the store and paid.. I hope she didn't get in trouble.

Totally off topic but it fits in with integrity/morality.
    03-22-09 02:26 AM
    Another off topic thing. I've talked to some Verizon legal guys and they do defend their early termination fee small claim suits.

This is usually how it goes
    Person challenges ETF due to high bill, dissatisfaction, whatever.
    Lawyer for VzW says: Customer signed contract, contract states this.
    Judge says: Rule for defendant, pay ETF.

Generally it's that easy.
    03-22-09 02:27 AM
    Another off topic thing. I've talked to some Verizon legal guys and they do defend their early termination fee small claim suits.
    All carriers do. The problem with going to court is the carrier gets legal fees on top of the ETF, plus a judgment to pay the fees for the overages AND an entry still goes into the credit reporting agencies that you had a billing dispute resolved in the creditor's favor.

That isn't a good entry on your report.

03-22-09 03:22 AM

This is usually how it goes
    Person challenges ETF due to high bill, dissatisfaction, whatever.
    Lawyer for VzW says: Customer signed contract, contract states this.
    Judge says: Rule for defendant, pay ETF.

Generally it's that easy.
    That is when the customer terminates.
    When VZW wireless it is a different story.
    Also what the contract says and what will hold up are two different things.
    However, that is not really point here.
    03-22-09 03:56 AM
    What the contract says and what will hold up generally are the same thing. The only way I can see it not being held up is if the contracts break some state laws. There is supreme court precedence that states our right to contract is unlimited (meaning, where allowed by law we can put anything we want).

Also, it's the same even if Verizon terminates your service for good cause (i.e. stealing bandwidth)
    03-22-09 04:08 AM
    Thank you, DIA. These people think they can do as they please and to **** with what it does to the rates & service for the rest of us.

I am just stealing a little bit of food - the store will never miss it

They sure do miss it & roll the costs into the prices they charge the honest people.
    Ok, here come the morality police.

I don't feel it is stealing at all.
    I could understand if had a 450 minute plan and found a way to hack the system and erase usage. That is stealing.

However, I have unlimited minutes and data and I am just finding a different way of using it and I still would never go over the soft cap even though it is unlimited.

If I found a way to use my phone as a FREE gps system and canceled my VZ navigator is that stealing? No, I am no longer using the VZW service.
    The phone is mine and what programs I decide to put in it and use are my business. All I am doing is finding a different way to transfer the data I already pay for.

If you are worried about people like me running your bill up

Rest assured, I have made your bill cheaper then because I over pay my service most months as I don't use that much Data (no where near 5gb or even 1gb), I have unlimited minutes and don't always need it and rarely use my VZ Navigator. So, since I am making your bill cheaper, please send me a refund check.

I have the free versions of Tetris and Pac-man from Benny Chow.
    I suppose since VZW offers games I stole from them and drove the price up for other honest customers.
    Last edited by d6racer; 03-22-09 at 04:14 AM.
    03-22-09 04:10 AM
    Can somebody post up where in the TOS it says Tetherberry is stealing?
    03-22-09 04:12 AM
    It specifically states you are not to be tethering. Your monthly service does not include it and the agreement you signed is very clear & explicit in this.

Let's look at it another way. With cable service, laws specifically state that you may not use what you do not pay for. You might be paying for the super-deluxe package, but do not subscribe to the premium channels. At a yard sale you find a cable TV converter for cheap, take it home & find out you can suddenly get HBO & Showtime. You choose to use the box without paying for the extra channels.

Is this stealing? The law says it is and similar laws protect the local telcos and the wireless companies.

You can rationalize it however you'd like, but taking something you do not pay for is stealing. If you don't think you'll get caught, it shouldn't be that difficult to find people who got the screws tightened down by AT&T, Alltel & VZW after a short time using PDANet. Many of those people are now on a different carrier.

03-22-09 04:37 AM
    It specifically states you are not to be tethering. Your monthly service does not include it and the agreement you signed is very clear & explicit in this.

Let's look at it another way. With cable service, laws specifically state that you may not use what you do not pay for. You might be paying for the super-deluxe package, but do not subscribe to the premium channels. At a yard sale you find a cable TV converter for cheap, take it home & find out you can suddenly get HBO & Showtime. You choose to use the box without paying for the extra channels.

Is this stealing? The law says it is and similar laws protect the local telcos and the wireless companies.

You can rationalize it however you'd like, but taking something you do not pay for is stealing. If you don't think you'll get caught, it shouldn't be that difficult to find people who got the screws tightened down by AT&T, Alltel & VZW after a short time using PDANet. Many of those people are now on a different carrier.

The difference is that I already pay for data service.

We will use your analogy.

Lets say you are paying for cable and premiums but you only get the premiums on 1 TV and not the other because you only have one converter.
    You then find that same converter at the yard sale, buy it, and get your premiums that you are already paying for on the other TV. 100% legal

I am already paying for data and just want to use what I already pay for on a different TV.
    03-22-09 04:50 AM
122 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD