10-26-10 02:09 PM
31 12
tools
    I have a Storm 1 that I have had since the release date, giving me tons of issues now. Locks up just sitting on my desk doing nothing, the phone rings no one on other end, people call and send messages phone does nothing then a notification sometimes a few minutes later, multiple battery pulls just to get threw the day, etc.

I have the insurance and have had it since day one, but not sure how it works. Seeing as how the S1 has been long discontinued what do you think the replacement would be?

I should also add that I'm overdue for the NE2 and could upgrade just not sure I want to at this point. I think I would rather just get a replacement and keep rolling without upping my contract. But if its going to be 80+ dollars for another POS storm replacement then it looks like an upgrade is probably the better way to go...
    Last edited by tweed; 10-06-10 at 07:19 AM.
    10-06-10 07:13 AM
    Assuming you have Verizon, seeing that you own a Storm, just take it to a corporate store or call up their customer service. Explain the problem, and if it's determined that you didn't physically break it and there is no water damage, they will simply replace it. As for what device they will replace it with, it will still be a Storm 1. Although it's a discontinued phone, they still have certified "like new" Storms available. Hope this helps!
    10-06-10 08:00 AM
    this is my experience with verizon's insurance:

i somehow cracked the screen of my tour at work. went home that night, got on my verizon wireless online account. went through all the steps of insurance stuff. when it came time to select a replacement phone, the insurance site said, 'the tour is no longer being sold at this time, you can select the blackberry bold as a replacement.' (or something like that) i paid the $50 and the next day my bold was at my doorstep. needless to say, i was pretty stoked.

i'd at least go through the insurance thing, and see what phones you can get as a replacement. who knows, you might be able to get a storm2 for cheap. but if not, i'd maybe consider upgrading
    10-06-10 08:16 AM
    Well talked to tech support, they had my reset the phone. Thought it was working then bam two lockups in less than an hour, so I called back like they asked me to do. Guess they have plenty of S1's in stock because that's all they will send out. I told the rep on the phone that I was reading the reviews on Verizon's site about the S1 and S2 and they both say the same thing, screen freezes, multiple lockups, etc but their hands are tied.

So I await my S1 replacement which should be here tomorrow. While I'm happy they are replacing the phone, I can't say that I'm very happy with the replacement itself. Seems to me replacing a device with the same device that's been discontinued due to the same symptoms I am currently experiencing seems rather silly.

Ugh...
    10-06-10 12:11 PM
    Its Insurance, You dont burn down a $120k house and get a mansion in its place,
    you dont crash a toyota and get ferrari.

sorry had to do it.
    10-06-10 12:19 PM
    Its Insurance, You dont burn down a $120k house and get a mansion in its place,
    you dont crash a toyota and get ferrari.

sorry had to do it.

Good point But at least your car insurance isn't going to replace your wrecked vehicle with the same model that someone else already wrecked.

Was just hoping to get a BB with a keyboard for a while to see if it would work better. This BB Storm1 is a complete hunk o crap.
    10-06-10 12:26 PM
    I had a s1 with no issues since day 1 until I dropped it and cracked the screen after that point it went down hill..

s2 only 1 issue which was a software error, was within 30 days got a new one from verizon and then 2 months later dropped that one,,, oppps. now have a refurb for about 6 months still no issues...
    10-06-10 02:17 PM
    Well talked to tech support, they had my reset the phone. Thought it was working then bam two lockups in less than an hour, so I called back like they asked me to do. Guess they have plenty of S1's in stock because that's all they will send out. I told the rep on the phone that I was reading the reviews on Verizon's site about the S1 and S2 and they both say the same thing, screen freezes, multiple lockups, etc but their hands are tied.

So I await my S1 replacement which should be here tomorrow. While I'm happy they are replacing the phone, I can't say that I'm very happy with the replacement itself. Seems to me replacing a device with the same device that's been discontinued due to the same symptoms I am currently experiencing seems rather silly.

Ugh...
    I had the same feeling when I had to replace my old EnV due to what seemed to be failures with the electronic system.... got another one that developed the same problem after a few months. But that's all that insurance is obligated to provide... an in-kind replacement. Fortunately, using the insurance doesn't affect the timeline for your "new every 2" upgrade, so by the time the second one started giving me problems, I was able to move up to the BB.
    10-07-10 12:32 AM
    Good point But at least your car insurance isn't going to replace your wrecked vehicle with the same model that someone else already wrecked.

Was just hoping to get a BB with a keyboard for a while to see if it would work better. This BB Storm1 is a complete hunk o crap.
    Ahh yes they do. Insurance cut you a check and when they do that they add deprecation value in, so you never get how much you paid for car..

Then you take the check to a used car dealership and buy a used car thats been redone, never knowing if it was in a accident or what
    10-07-10 03:29 AM
    If you argue enough with customer service, they'll upgrade you. I had a Curve 8530 for a year, and during that year had 4 replacements for the same problem, so I hassled customer service and they upgraded me to a Tour for no charge. So like I said, badger them enough, and you'll get what you want.
    10-07-10 09:53 AM
    So I get the replacment 9530 and call to make sure I wipe the old device correctly, tech offers to call me back on another line and walk me thru the setup of the replacement to make sure things get activated correctly so I say sure. The tech yesterday told me to make sure they switch my pin in my new phone so BB messenger works, etc. I tell that to the tech tonight and after 40 mins of him looking threw stuff, he tells me to call black berry as they would be able to help me better than he could.

to top it off while activating the phone and entering my security pin, the screen went black and it kicked me out. Oh what fun that was. Installed facebook, said the install was successful, try to open face book and now I get nothing but java errors.

My guess is this phone is going to have the same issues my current one does. Woohoo!!
    10-07-10 11:09 PM
    Here's what you do...find reviews from Verizon's website and Blackberry's website that describe the same issues as you do. Print them out and take them in to a Verizon store and tell them you're having the same problems on your new phone, and that you know it is a major problem with others also. Keep pushing for them to do something, but don't mention a new phone, otherwise they will think that's all you are after. For my, I just kept saying I needed my Blackberry to be reliable for nursing school, and I would not settle for the same problem happening over and over. Keep pushing, and don't back down. I guarantee they will give you something else. They don't want an angry customer badtalking them to other people and losing business. Trust me, I know first hand this works.
    10-07-10 11:30 PM
    I don't plan on backing down but holy crap, offer to help and then instead of just manning up and saying you can't find the pin option and getting some help from a coworker, refer the customer off to BB? WTF is that lol!!

Anyway, I got an email in to the tech that helped me a few days ago and got the ball rolling. She is actually local and did a great job. Hopefully she'll chime in when I'm at work this morning and get things sorted.

10-08-10 07:37 AM
    My Tour went for a swim so I called Verizon and they offered to send me a refurb. Went to asurion's website and as soon as I started the claim process they told me they had no Tours because they weren't be manufactured anymore. I found that odd because you could still get them brand new from Verizon. They offered me a Bold and since the Bold had only been out for like a month or so it was a pretty good bet I'd be getting a brand new one. Paid my $89 and at noon the next day my brand new Bold was on my door step. I placed the claim at like 9pm EST and they still got it out overnight. I've heard people who slam asurion all the time but in the end most don't follow the fine print.
    10-08-10 09:35 PM
    I forgot to mention a crucial piece of information. Customer service won't tell you this unless you really push them, but apparently Verizon has a policy that if after receiving three refurbished replacement devices, they will give you a brand new one. Now, seeing that they don't make the original Storms anymore, they might just give you a new Storm 2 instead, or something of equal value. It's worth a shot, you just have to make sure you go through 3 refurbs with the same problem in every one.
    10-10-10 10:07 PM
    I forgot to mention a crucial piece of information. Customer service won't tell you this unless you really push them, but apparently Verizon has a policy that if after receiving three refurbished replacement devices, they will give you a brand new one. Now, seeing that they don't make the original Storms anymore, they might just give you a new Storm 2 instead, or something of equal value. It's worth a shot, you just have to make sure you go through 3 refurbs with the same problem in every one.
    I can promise you this is wrong. Verizon does not have any policy that says you will receive a new/different phone after any number of replacements.
    10-11-10 09:16 AM
    Well, after dealing with a corporate store through 4 replacements, I called the customer service line to complain and they told me that after 3 replacements I should have gotten a brand new device...and they did in fact give me a brand new device.
    10-11-10 11:07 AM
    Woohoo!! Happy Monday. Phone is officially dead. : (

Get a call Saturday, push green button on phone to answer call, it disconnects the call. I called the person back everything was fine.

This morning, phone is set with default old school telephone ring tone, incoming call, phone makes one really loud beep then reboots, never even got the chance to to answer the call.

Get another incoming call 15 mins later, phone never even rings, but I can see a call coming in as it's sitting in front of me on my desk. I pick up the phone push the green button to answer the call, and it disconnects the call again.

Get in touch with the tech from last week, who is doing an OUTSTANDING job of working with me on this, she has me wipe the phone again after using online backup assistant for my contacts and reload the phone. We try the *228 to activate and no bueno, try again and absolutely no volume on the call at all. The we try #832 for test call to see whats up and it doesn't work either, no volume and it never conncected even though I have 4 bars showing for signal strength. She says that they will probably replace it with a storm2 this time at which point I pipe up a bit and say I have pretty much lost faith in touch screen devices after this go round and it would be cool if she could send me a Bold as a replacement. She's talking to a supervisor and gonna call me back after her lunch break and let me know the verdict.

I hope they come through with a Bold for a replacement. I realize it isn't a shiny new droid touchscreen replacement, but I have a feeling it would be absolutely fine for me for a while.
    10-11-10 01:06 PM
    Bah, Storm2 coming my way.. : (
    10-11-10 01:46 PM
    Storm 2 FTW!
    10-11-10 06:23 PM
    Woohoo!! Happy Monday. Phone is officially dead. : (

Get a call Saturday, push green button on phone to answer call, it disconnects the call. I called the person back everything was fine.

This morning, phone is set with default old school telephone ring tone, incoming call, phone makes one really loud beep then reboots, never even got the chance to to answer the call.

Get another incoming call 15 mins later, phone never even rings, but I can see a call coming in as it's sitting in front of me on my desk. I pick up the phone push the green button to answer the call, and it disconnects the call again.

Get in touch with the tech from last week, who is doing an OUTSTANDING job of working with me on this, she has me wipe the phone again after using online backup assistant for my contacts and reload the phone. We try the *228 to activate and no bueno, try again and absolutely no volume on the call at all. The we try #832 for test call to see whats up and it doesn't work either, no volume and it never conncected even though I have 4 bars showing for signal strength. She says that they will probably replace it with a storm2 this time at which point I pipe up a bit and say I have pretty much lost faith in touch screen devices after this go round and it would be cool if she could send me a Bold as a replacement. She's talking to a supervisor and gonna call me back after her lunch break and let me know the verdict.

I hope they come through with a Bold for a replacement. I realize it isn't a shiny new droid touchscreen replacement, but I have a feeling it would be absolutely fine for me for a while.
    I work at Asurion now and their phones is crap! Make sure you press them for a brand new phone, IF they say no, tell them your calling your attorney and filing a Better business complaint... They will give you a shiny new device quick!
    10-14-10 01:28 PM
    I work at Asurion now and their phones is crap! Make sure you press them for a brand new phone, IF they say no, tell them your calling your attorney and filing a Better business complaint... They will give you a shiny new device quick!
    This thread is about Verizon insurance...not Asurion, and we don't care about your complaints...we want info on the insurance.
    10-20-10 03:04 PM
    Ahh yes they do. Insurance cut you a check and when they do that they add deprecation value in, so you never get how much you paid for car..

Then you take the check to a used car dealership and buy a used car thats been redone, never knowing if it was in a accident or what
    That's what CarFax is for.
    10-20-10 04:40 PM
    I can promise you this is wrong. Verizon does not have any policy that says you will receive a new/different phone after any number of replacements.
    Yea they been stop doing that. I guess because people was abusing the system.
    10-20-10 04:42 PM
    This thread is about Verizon insurance...not Asurion, and we don't care about your complaints...we want info on the insurance.
    The insurance that Verizon officers is through Asurion.
    10-21-10 02:46 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD