I'm about to buy a Curve from VZW, but am having issues regarding which plan to choose.

Basically, I plan on using Yahoo! IM quite often, as my boyfriend lives in the UK and $.20 per text to/from the UK would get quite expensive.

I called VZW this morning, and was informed that no matter how i do it, any kind of IM program will cause me to be charged per message like it was a text.

Is this correct? Is there ANY WAY around this so I can use an IM program and have it charged as (unlimited) data rather than a text message?

Also, just curious, which plan do YOU have? I'm quite confused as to which plan to choose that involves unlimited data/email/texting/voice. I felt like the customer service people were just trying to sell me the most expensive plan without really taking my needs into consideration.

Help anyone?

Thanks!
    09-17-08 09:26 AM
    That's not true - if you use the Yahoo! Messenger for BlackBerry app, it uses data to send and receive messages, not SMS.

The 29.99/mo BIS E-mail and Web for BlackBerry plan is unlimited data access from the phone. If you add an additional 29.99/mo you can also tether the phone with a 5GB limit.
    09-17-08 09:37 AM
    I lives in two places, Los angeles and London UK. just get your boyfriend a blackberry. Use BBM. it will be cover by your data plan and no extra charge. or install beejiveIM. Beejive | instant messaging, just about anywhere That is also use DATA only! hope this help!
    Last edited by artypuppy; 09-17-08 at 12:01 PM.
    09-17-08 11:56 AM
    You can also pay the extra $10 bucks for the unlimited text as the unlimited text doesn't come with the unlimited data plan if I'm not mistaken. I do stand corrected!! Anyone???

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-17-08 12:04 PM
    Depends what you really need:
    -If you just want unlim data so you can IM back and forth add the $30 data plan to your current voice plan and you're good
    -if you need a lot of txt/data then you could do the $30 data and I think for $20 you can get an unlim txt package, or change your calling plan to one that includes txt (still averages out to about $20)
    -if you need unlim everything (min/txt/data) then check out the unlim plans VZW offers. If you're the only line on your account then you could prolly do the unlim bb plan (thing its around $120) and you'd have unlim min/txt/data

As for IM charging txt, false! IM uses data if done from a bb.

09-17-08 12:18 PM
    adding unlimited text is either $20 for a single line or $30 for a family plan.

This would allow unlimited use of the VZW Mobile IM program with no extra charges.

09-17-08 12:21 PM
    it all depends on what calling plan u select .
    there is the basic calling plan the select calling plan and the Premium calling plan witch all differ and very in min usage then there is the unlimited plan - and dont forget that the text messages is only in the US for any of the features. so depending on what you want to do there are many options to pick from .
    09-18-08 12:26 PM
    You can also pay the extra $10 bucks for the unlimited text as the unlimited text doesn't come with the unlimited data plan if I'm not mistaken. I do stand corrected!! Anyone???

actually the 10 bucks is only unlimited to the IN network meaning only to Verizon 2 verizon customers in the US and that also gives you 500 non VZW txt messages . hope that helps
    09-18-08 12:29 PM
    Since I don't know how much you talk...

I would probably recommend:
    - Nationwide 900 Select plan (unlimited text msg incl.)
    - Int'l value plan ($3.99)... you can go to the VZW website to view the rate comparisons.
    - Int'l dialing ($0)
    - $29.99 data plan
    09-19-08 05:11 AM
    FYI-there isn't a texting plan for International txt messages. I believe sending is $.25 and receiving is $.15 or $.20.

C

VZW employee
    09-19-08 10:54 PM
    There are many services which can recommend you the best cell phone plan for you according to your usage requirement.Try them.If you want you can click on my signature to see such service.
    09-22-08 12:56 AM
    Int'l txting rates are $.25/send $.20 to receive.

ANY IM usage will get around this as you are txting a server not an intl #. BB msger will also avoid intl rates.
    09-22-08 04:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD