I've asked around and not gotten the answer I want so I figured I'd ask here last. I have verizon and I've always loved it especially for its texting. But when I got the curve I noticed that I can only send textz that are 160 characters. Is there anyway to send more than one page? Besides sending sms? This is really frustrating when you gotta say a lot but can't talk. Its weird because I can receive long messages from others. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-25-08 12:56 AM
    From what I know about berry sms, when you fill up the sms field it is the same as 6 pages of txt on a regular cell phone. Does it show at the top page numbers? As mine will show 1/6 or 3/6 if I keep typing.

10-25-08 01:33 AM
    Nope, not on a Verizon Curve. You get 160 characters and you hit "send". Funny someone else had this problem like an hour ago!
    10-25-08 01:40 AM
    It is carrier dependant. Att and tmo will let you send 6 messages of 160 characters. Others only 160 at a time

10-25-08 01:45 AM
    Yeah verizon won't let me do more than one page. Hopefully they change it somehow

10-25-08 02:28 AM
    Yeah verizon won't let me do more than one page. Hopefully they change it somehow

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting
    10-25-08 02:32 AM
    You can send as mms and then you have unlimited...

10-25-08 09:50 AM
    appears that way. MMS uses data not the voice side.
    10-25-08 09:53 AM
    MMS is actually 1000 characters, BBM is unlimited however.
    10-25-08 10:43 AM
    I was kinda dissapointed at this too, my previous non-bb verizon phones i could type out pages and pages of stuff without having to save every 160 char and goto another message.... i really wish i had more than 1 friend with BBM but oh well
    10-26-08 02:03 PM
    That was one of the selling points with me and Tmo. Before I got my BB, I was sending messages to my Tmo friends that were the equivalent to 9 or 10 separate texts, but since I have a had the BB they have been getting a break. I can only send messages that are the equivalent to 6 messages.

Good luck with getting that fix if it can be!
    10-26-08 02:26 PM
    It is carrier dependant. Att and tmo will let you send 6 messages of 160 characters. Others only 160 at a time

Part of this is true.

I don't know how many times I've posted on this topic but it seems I never get through. It does seem carrier dependent, but it isn't because the Motorola Q (smartphone) and dumbphones on Verizon DO go past 160 characters when typing a text message. So it isn't RIM because GSM BB's can do it, and Verizon does have it.

I'm leaning more towards GSM v CDMA. Why would RIM allow GSM (att, t-mo) to do it, and not (Verizon)? And why would Verizon allow the dumbphones (lg's, etc) and other smartphones (Moto q) to have it?? The only verification I need is anyone with a sprint, telus, US cellular BB, etc to confirm CDMA thought.

Anyone??
    10-27-08 06:42 PM
    appears that way. MMS uses data not the voice side.
    If MMS is data, then why are you charging us a fee to send MMS? Hummmm? Yeah, that's what I thought.
    10-27-08 08:32 PM
    If MMS is data, then why are you charging us a fee to send MMS? Hummmm? Yeah, that's what I thought.
    Wait, are you serious?? Back when I had a treo I went to a corp store to argue that MMS was free (part of unlimited pix/flix) blah blah blah, and all they said was since you have a data capable phone, sorry your MMS uses data so you're SOL so live with it. You mean to tell me if you have a BB w/BIS, you get a data charge on top of BIS charge No way
    10-27-08 08:44 PM

I had a call where a customer disconnected her line due to the 160 character cap on sms.
    10-28-08 03:14 AM
    I'd been searching on these boards for days for the problem I'm having, so I thought I'd put it here.

I can do 6 of 160 characters and for most of my friends, it splits them up. Nextel/Sprint, it leaves out words. None of my Nextel friends have smartphones, so that could be part of it, but it's super frustrating. I was thinking I was doing something wrong until one of my friends confirmed that hers would get split up when sending to Nextel as well.
    10-28-08 12:44 PM
    ^^^Are you using a sprint BB?

10-28-08 12:51 PM
    I have AT&T. I only have a couple friends with Nextel, and the missing words in the split hasn't been critical, but it's an annoyance.

Edit: Hadn't noticed this was specifically in the Verizon forum. At this point I guess it's just an observation and gripe, not asking for a solution.
    10-28-08 04:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD