For those of you who send a lot of txt msgs, are you using an IM on your bb or are you paying the extra $10 - $20 / mo for txt messaging? I'm unfamiliar with IM on a bb if someone could elaborate on the programs to use. Thx.
    Last edited by bpatt22; 05-05-08 at 05:33 PM.
    05-05-08 05:18 PM
    Depends what program you're using. Jivetalk uses Data for IM'ing. The Verizon program you can download to IM uses SMS per message.
    05-05-08 05:53 PM
    I use jivetalk BeeJive :: JiveTalk mobile messenger - instant messaging to go, it's 19.99 for single user license and in my opinion very worth it. They give you a 30 day free trial as well to see if you like it before you buy it. Never has disconnected yet. *although i get amazing service everywhere with vzw* I definately think it's worth the money.
    05-05-08 06:57 PM
    I dont IM enough to justify jive talk although I would like to have full access to my buddies rather than the 20 or so VZW allows.

Blackberry messenger is the best ever. My girl has a pearl as well and its the coolest ever esp since we can type past the gay 160 character cap. (Why wouldnt bb program an auto text to send two?? o well)

but most of mine is done over ulm txting
    05-05-08 07:02 PM
    If I understand what you're asking (whether we use mainly IM or txt message on BB), then the answer would likely be both. IM is great if someone is on the computer or an IM compatible device, but far too often most people don't have those devices and sending a txt message is MUCH more convenient.
    05-05-08 07:04 PM
    I pay $20/ month for my family plan unlimited messaging plan
    05-05-08 07:14 PM
    Oh i misread the question. I use AIM quite frequently so i use JiveTalk. Also i text like a fiend, so i have unlimited texting. I dont like to talk on the phone much, so i need unlimited texting and unlimited data.

Also you can IM cell phone numbers through AIM, i don't know if that makes a difference to you. So technically you can IM a cellphone as well. You just type their SN as +1 then the area code, then the cellphone number. You type this all together with no spaces and you can IM their cellphone from AIM.
    05-05-08 07:25 PM

Also you can IM cell phone numbers through AIM, i don't know if that makes a difference to you.
    Yes, I think you hit it on the nose there! I am having trouble understanding why people with a bb would pay the extra ($10-$20/mo) for text messaging when you could just go this route with AIM and pay the one time license fee from Jive for ($19).

1) $10-$20/mo for X # of months - for SMS

or

2) $19 one time - for JiveTalk/AIM

Why would I choose #1?

(I'm waiting to receive my pearl and trying to decide if I should add SMS)

Thx for the replies.
    05-05-08 07:56 PM
    Yes, I think you hit it on the nose there! I am having trouble understanding why people with a bb would pay the extra ($10-$20/mo) for text messaging when you could just go this route with AIM and pay the one time license fee from Jive for ($19).

1) $10-$20/mo for X # of months - for SMS

or

2) $19 one time - for JiveTalk/AIM

Why would I choose #1?

(I'm waiting to receive my pearl and trying to decide if I should add SMS)

Thx for the replies.
    Just because it's "free" to you doesn't mean it's free to the receiver. Unless they're using an IM program, I assume it'll be received as a text message, or it might even use data, not sure about that. Either way, it's going to count against their package, either text or data, unless they have unlimited. And believe it or not, many, actually most people still do not. As always, it depends on your circle of friends/family

Also, not everyone uses IM, so if you have a number of people in your circle of family and friends, it is much more convenient to just type a quick SMS than to hope they can get your IM/text message or they have a compatible program or whatever the case may be. IM is great for what it is, but it doesn't necessarily take the place of texting since it requires 3rd party software and is somewhat more involved to use. That's a problem for less sophisticated users.

Finally, it's not $20 a month for texting. You can get a 200 msg package from AT&T for $5. Of course, if you do a lot, it's going to cost more.
    05-05-08 09:40 PM
    I actually use the OZ Messenger from at&t that uses text. I have both unlimited text and data, but don't I'm enough to purchase Jive. Also I feel that the OZ Messenger does the job.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-05-08 09:48 PM
    I use both... A lot!! :-)
    My company uses AIM so I purchased JiveTalk to use for work. My kids also have AIM at home on the computer so they. IM me too!

I have a 16 year old daughter who is a text fiend! She and I text quite a bit to each other. I even text my 63 year old mom sometimes!

There are circumstances for each method, I am not sure I would want to give up either one!

05-05-08 09:55 PM
    Ahhh, now I see. (Ease of use and the cost on other ppl.)
    05-05-08 10:18 PM
    Can you sneak around the system by sending text messages through email? I thought that every phone had an email address linked to it (I believe for Verizon its phonenumber@vzwpix.com or something like that, isn't it?) so could you send it through email - it's free for you, and they receive it like a text?
    05-06-08 12:02 AM
    phonenumber@vtext.com = text

phonenumber@vzwpix.com = pic mess.
    Last edited by zerog32; 05-06-08 at 12:21 AM.
    05-06-08 12:09 AM
    Actually think they get charged data for that email usage, right?

05-06-08 12:23 AM
    when you IM someone's phone through AIM it goes to their receiver as a normal text message.
    05-06-08 09:10 AM
    Actually think they get charged data for that email usage, right?

That's what I was wondering. Could be a good way to get around having a text package for yourself at least.
    05-06-08 10:29 AM
    Blackberry messenger is the best ever. My girl has a pearl as well and its the coolest ever esp since we can type past the gay 160 character cap. (Why wouldnt bb program an auto text to send two?? o well)
    i was wondering about the 160 character thing. cause i don't have a BB atm, but i'm about to get a curve. my current phone, LG8300, doesn't allow me to send more than 160 characters to any non verizon phone. but i can seen a lot more to a vzw customer.

on the other hand, my girlfriend has a curve with t-mo and when she sends a long text, it breaks it up into two seperate texts. same thing with a few of my other friends.

so even vzw's Blackberrys limit you to 160 characters???? if so, i may have to go back to considering switching to at&t.
    05-06-08 11:38 AM
    I have a question. I am a first-time BB user and am with T-mobile (8120 pearl). If I want to use Gtalk (thats where most of my chat buddies are) do I have to get the unlimited SMS pack or will an unlimited data plan do? Sorry if this Q was answered before but I didnt see any so I'm postiing this Q.
    05-09-08 11:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD