Does anyone know of a tried and true way for my friends and I to SMS one another without it using my SMS allowance (such as an app or something)?

My monthly bill is already $100, so adding more SMS to my plan isn't really an option and none of my friends have a BB so BBM isn't an option either (

Thanks in advance to those who reply!
    01-15-11 12:20 PM
    100$ and u dont have unlimited texts? thats weird...try KIK,aim,or BBM
    01-15-11 12:21 PM
    If your friends have an iPhone or something Android, try using Whatsapp
    01-15-11 12:24 PM
    100$ and u dont have unlimited texts? thats weird...try KIK,aim,or BBM
    No, that's the only thing I hate about Verizon, their pricing. My bill breaks down to 500 minutes/$50 + 500 SMS/$15 + Unlimited Data/$30 + Second line/$10... so yeah, it sucks LOL!

I've never tried KIK or AIM, but I do have Yahoo IM and I know I can send SMS from it online, but I'm not sure about sending/receiving from the app.

Does anyone else know if this can be done?

Also, BBM is useless to me as I don't know anyone else with a Blackberry (

Thanks for the suggestions though Crackb3rry420!
    01-15-11 12:27 PM
    If your friends have an iPhone or something Android, try using Whatsapp
    As far as I know all my friends have just basic cell phones, but I will look into it and see for sure.

Thanks for the suggestion though aznlgcy!
    01-15-11 12:29 PM
    Use the SMS gateway for their carrier and send it as an email.

Email to SMS Gateways, Complete List | mutube
    01-15-11 12:31 PM
    no problem java..sorry damn that sucks! i would think unlimited data would include texts i think thats the way tmobile works..Kik is kind of like BBm where it shows u when the text has been sent,received.. i heard it works on any type of phone so maybe u and your friend can try that out...
    01-15-11 12:32 PM
    Use the SMS gateway for their carrier and send it as an email.

Email to SMS Gateways, Complete List | mutube
    Forgive me if I sound stupid on this, but wouldn't I have to know the carrier of each of my friends first?

Thanks for the suggestion Motorcycle Mama!
    01-15-11 12:35 PM
    no problem java..sorry damn that sucks! i would think unlimited data would include texts i think thats the way tmobile works..Kik is kind of like BBm where it shows u when the text has been sent,received.. i heard it works on any type of phone so maybe u and your friend can try that out...
    I will definitely look into it.

Thanks again Crackb3rry420!
    01-15-11 12:36 PM
    Forgive me if I sound stupid on this, but wouldn't I have to know the carrier of each of my friends first?

Thanks for the suggestion Motorcycle Mama!
    Umm ... yeah. So ask them??
    01-15-11 12:39 PM
    Umm ... yeah. So ask them??
    Yeah, I'll look into the other suggestions first because that just sounds like it would be a PITA. But I will keep it in mind.

Thanks again Motorcycle Mama!
    01-15-11 12:42 PM
    Why not just upgrade your text package? Based on what you said, if you have the unl M2M and 500 outside of verizon, its $10, or if you have the $15 package, its unl M2M but 1500 outside of verizon. 5000 outside of VZW is $20, so you could probably get a bit more out of your txting for a bit extra a month. Or you could have unl across the board for both lines for $99 and bump to 700 mins, but then thats probably more than what you wanna spend on your 550 plan if the other line doesnt txt at all and u still have to factor your data package.
    01-15-11 12:52 PM
    Why not just upgrade your text package? Based on what you said, if you have the unl M2M and 500 outside of verizon, its $10, or if you have the $15 package, its unl M2M but 1500 outside of verizon. 5000 outside of VZW is $20, so you could probably get a bit more out of your txting for a bit extra a month. Or you could have unl across the board for both lines for $99 and bump to 700 mins, but then thats probably more than what you wanna spend on your 550 plan if the other line doesnt txt at all and u still have to factor your data package.
    I can't afford to raise anything on my plan right now because I'm still looking for work. I would love to get the unlimited everything plan, however, since I have a family share plan to begin with, it would be $199.99/month. So that's not an option unfortunately

Thanks for the suggestion though ibanez37!
    01-15-11 12:55 PM
    I can't afford to raise anything on my plan right now because I'm still looking for work. I would love to get the unlimited everything plan, however, since I have a family share plan to begin with, it would be $199.99/month. So that's not an option unfortunately

Thanks for the suggestion though ibanez37!
    This is way out in left field, but another option. If you put yourself on the unlimited everything plan and call in to get that limited time promo they had for 69.99, then you put the other line on a real basic plan since it sounds like they dont do much. You could do like 450 mins for 39.99 or 300 mins for 34.99. Would be a little bit more than what you're paying now, but you have fully unl mins and txting on your line, and still a good amount of mins on the other line. It would just depend if you could get in touch with CMO and have them give you that promo.
    01-15-11 01:44 PM
    Google Voice has free SMS. I use it all the time. You can SMS using the Google Voice app! It's fantastic. I got rid of my text plan and am saving $20/month. Highly recommend.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-15-11 01:45 PM
    Does anyone know of a tried and true way for my friends and I to SMS one another without it using my SMS allowance (such as an app or something)?

My monthly bill is already $100, so adding more SMS to my plan isn't really an option and none of my friends have a BB so BBM isn't an option either (

Thanks in advance to those who reply!
    Unlimited messaging across the family share might be worth your while.

Otherwise you can use Google Voice for free US texting.

01-15-11 02:56 PM
    YES to google voice. i dont have a texting plan on my blackberry and i absolutely love this for free SMS

what to do:
    www.google.com/voice and set up an account and pick a free new phone number
    go into google voice settings and have the text re-route to your e-mail (this way, you can get them instantly sent to your blackberry through push email!
    give your friends your new number
    respond directly to the e-mail to reply to texts.

now you have free sms!
    01-16-11 01:00 PM
    I got rid of my unlimited SMS plan and am using Google Voice for FREE SMS too. Love it!

You can reply to SMS via email or (what I do) is download the Google Voice for BlackBerry app and you can send and receive SMS via that app free as well.

01-16-11 01:03 PM
    I second the Google Voice method. I spent a good portion of the previous summer in Greece and used the $65 unlimited data plan. Set up your GV to send texts to email (make sure that you do not receive direct texts to your number) and then you can simply respond to the texts just as if it were an email. Simple, easy, and free.
    01-16-11 01:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD